How do you judge/categorize a person

MikeK

For me it's:

1. Sense of humor - Need to be able to laugh at their self

2. Basic intelligence - doesn't need a college degree, but has common sense.

3. Owng a gun is OK, even if they choose not to do so.

To me, race, religion, and other criteria are irrelevant.

Wow, talk about high standards. Having worked with the homeless, about the only standard I have is whether the person is working or trying to work and not trying to "get one over" the system. Now, once past that hurdle, do they own guns?

TheeBadOne

MikeK, all those things, but integrity 1st. If they are not honest they are not worth my time. I have folks I consider my friends from all walks of life: teachers, cops, doctors, electricians, carpenters, carpet layers, bikers, tinsmith, mechanic, business owners, insurance agents, priests, truck drivers, masons, etc etc etc. They have many things in common, humor, wit, uniqueness; and are H O N E S T. I have no time for anyone I cannot trust. You don’t have to wear $1,000 shoes, or be a Jeopardy champ, but you have to be honest. I can take BS’ing, and some stretches, but outright liars and people who just have to deceive others need not apply for friendship. I also believe that one quality of respect is that you have to give it to get it. I have learned to appreciate people for what they are, as well as what they are not.

Salt

The way a person is dressed is a statement of what they have to say about themselves. Grooming & hygene are importiant clues too.

Is the person alert to their surroundings or do they look at their feet as they walk? Do their eyes show life & intelligence or are they dull.

How good is their vocabulary? Listen and it will tell you their education level.

There is so much more, but it is late and I am tired.

BamBam-31

What Sam said.

Truer words were never spoken.

However, the virtues listed earlier (honesty, humor, intelligence, etc.) rate highly on my list as well.

gorlitsa

I live on a college campus in a very sunny part of the nation.

Everyone dresses the same, just some girls wear their shorts a
little shorter than others.

Everyone talks the same. "Like", "As if" and "%#*&!@" are common.

In class, no one but the professors talk, so ideas from classmates are non-existent, and outside of class, no one cares to discuss politics.

We don't have very big issues in our lives right now, so trust and honesty can't be gauged easily.

There are so many people here, I can go a month between seeing a given friend. And so I use a pretty simple method for judging character:

If I pass someone walking the opposite way, do they respond to a smile?

If a panhandler smiles at me, he gets some change.

If a complete stranger smiles back, it totally makes my day. I have a few people on campus I have NEVER spoken to, but we smile at each other occasionally. It's nice to know there are a few good people out there.

----------------------------

Edit: This is post 300. How in the world did I get 300 posts? Wow.... :)

Bog

In my personal (admittedly occasionally addled) opinion, it's impossible to set out the criteria to "judge" a person the way you're speaking about.

Someone might be an out-and-out liar, a womaniser, a scoundrel of many colours - and yet have a single shining quality that still makes them worth knowing.

One of the wonderful things about the smelly, chaotic, infuriating and confusing species H. Sapiens is that they, by and large, defy categorisation.

That is, most of the examples I want to know do. *g*

MuzzleBlast

If they can use the English language correctly, can detect and eschew bull**** whenever they see/hear/smell it, have a modicum of courage, and "get" Monty Python, they are worthwhile. To put it bluntly, if they are somewhat like ME they are OK. :D I can even accept an anti, as long as they have actually THOUGHT about it, and aren't just regurgitating misinformation they have been fed or just saying "they scare me."

Steve Smith

I tend to go "too far" or "above and beyond" for folks. Their response allows me to categorize them. Many times I've thought of a person as a friend, and after I bent over backwards for them, I barely got a "thanks" if at all. I know just where that person fits in. I am at that point right now with what I thought was a very close friend.

22lovr

Just for fun, how 'bout this ??

Let me play a round of golf or a game of cards with an acquaintence and they'll disclose to you and anyone else in the vicinity what kind of person they really are, when finished!

I judge no one; they eventually judge themselves and reveal their true colors when some "heat" or "pressure" is applied.

"Confuscius say man who fart in church must sit in own pew."

Bulldog44

I look for several things in a person:

1. A profound sense of decency

2. A sense of responsibility

3. Integrity and strength of character

4. Intelligence and an open mind

5. A sense of humor and an unwillingness to take life (or themselves) too seriously

MeekAndMild

I believe a good starting point is Heinlein's ideal: "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

I used to consider whether a person was born in the South until I met yankeetrash; despite his monicker he would be welcome around my campfire any day. :p

I try not to judge at first and accept someone as they are. But, give em enough rope and they'll hang themselves. I give em a chance but if they screw me over then I won't even think twice, they are not worth the trouble.

Ed Brunner

Over the years I have found that my first impressions of people are of necessity too superficial. I tend to categorize people for my convenience. I like people who have a good sense of themselves and who lean towards the pragmatic and cynical. Of course their values and ethics enter into it, but that usually comes later. A friend says that we identify with people who are like us, but that oversimplifies it.

HankB

salt wrote:
The way a person is dressed is a statement of what they have to say about themselves.
Mark Twain wrote:
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.
Seriously, I look for integrity and basic common sense. Most of my colleagues are highly educated with science MS's and PhD's - but when it comes to things outside their own field, they often base their opinions not on logic, but that eternal reason, "because." Because why? "Just because!" Just as one example: some actually enjoy getting a big tax refund, and actually get upset with me if I point out they just loaned their own money to Uncle Sam at zero interest.

I respect those who disagree with me, if they can argue their point of view on a rational basis and refrain from name calling. ("HankB, you're a bigot/fascist/racist/whatever!")

I judge the women I date a little differently. I check their appearance . . . I gaze deeply into their eyes . . . I take them by the wrist . . . I check for a pulse . . . :p