How do you guys deal with humidity in your reloading room?

michaeldarnold

It's 91 degrees here in St. Louis and the relative humidity is 66%. Feels like 106 and sweating does no good to cool you off.

Humidity is a thing here. You get used to it, sort of. I just keep all the metal oiled, and the reloading room is in the basement with the whole house AC unit, basement's not too bad and the tools stay rust free.

Mike
Outside STL

lamarw

There is humidity here but not in my reloading room. It is only 50' from a 40,000 + acre lake.

It is like others have stated - The house has AC. I have zero experience with a swamp fan and am curious about what its advantage is over AC. ???

Is it possible to add an additional 900 sq. ft. out building with a window AC? You could make it your man cave with a small fridge, recliner, tv and a computer. :)

nhyrum

Well just got back from a trip to ace and picked up a hygrometer... It's pegged at... 85? 90? Percent? Don't know since it stops at 80 and it's past that...

So how swamp/evaporative coolers work is by drawing hot arid(dry) air through water saturated filteres. The energy expended evaporating the water, which in relativity easy since it's already fine droplets, cools the air, resulting in cooler, moister air. The advantage is they are very energy efficient, since all it is is a pump to keep the filters wet and a fan, and there dirt cheap. Just a bunch of tin, a fan and a pump. They work best in dry climates.

I have a large, rolling ac unit, 12500 BTU's I believe that also has a dehumidifier setting, but using it cuts the efficiency of the coolers in half since one dumps water into the air and the other removes it. But the cooler does a great job at cooling the whole house, in the morning our bedroom is a chilly 55 ish degrees and the other end of the house is 60 ish.

May have to keep the dehumidifier or AC unit pumping a few days to see how the humidity changes

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Clark

Here is a pic of my SKS with mold.
I have lots of mold guns. I can grow mold on an Aluminum AR15 lower.
My safe is ~ 660 cubic feet. 3 of the walls are concrete with dirt on the other side of the concrete. It seldom stops raining around Seattle, and that dirt is wet. So moisture comes through the concrete.

These heaters are rated for 500 cubic feet each, and I have two of them.
36" long
38 Watts
150 degrees F surface temperature

The heaters keep the air temp from getting down to the dew point [ with some measly margin like one degree] and get the air to circulate.

https://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-725721-P-GoldenRod-Original-Dehumidifier/dp/B00DBTCFGY

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/401163/goldenrod-dehumidifier-rod-with-detachable-plug-110v-gold

You can see Midway turned 500 cubic feet into 500 square feet.
Same thing, right?

Attachments

• Spots of mold on unmodified Yugo SKS 12-18-2012.jpg
    Spots of mold on unmodified Yugo SKS 12-18-2012.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 20

Bozz10mm

Any possibilty of moving the swamp cooler to another room? Then get a small (5000 btu) window ac unit for the reloading room.

Reloadron

How do you guys deal with humidity in your reloading room?

The gun room is part of the house which is temperature and humidity controlled. I also keep several bags of desiccant in my gun safe which I generally bake out start of spring and start of fall. I doubt the desiccant is really necessary but the inside of the safe is generally mid 70s F. and the RH below 50% or so. The room does a good job of maintaining and I monitor Temperature and Humidity every now and then just to make sure things are behaving. This summer has been both hot and humid for my area (NE Ohio) and our winters are typically dry air.

Ron

nhyrum

Any possibilty of moving the swamp cooler to another room? Then get a small (5000 btu) window ac unit for the reloading room.
Nope, it's built into the wall.

Clark-yep, I know what it's like.. I spent the first 20 years of my life now a Seattle suburb.

I've got an idea though... I'll buy about 5 dehumidifiers, turn the cooler off before I start and turn the AC and dehumidifiers on while I decap, size and clean, so hopefully in those few hours the RH has come down to a reasonable level

Last edited:

nhyrum

0a3de871ad2c28d24ff5a51b8070d181.jpg

A pic of the hygrometer. This is sitting on top of my AC unit

FITASC

It's 91 degrees here in St. Louis and the relative humidity is 66%. Feels like 106 and sweating does no good to cool you off.

That's a nice day!

Today's high was only 96, humidity at a mere 92%; heat index = D*mn HOT and I was out shooting sporting clays. I have learned to bring two shirts so I can change into a dry one for the drive home!........:eek::D

(But a cold beer and a dip in the pool sure feel good when I get home)

I moved my reloading inside here; out West, it was so dry, using the garage was awesome

michaeldarnold

Yeah, we've had some hot days here in St. Louis. A couple of Sundays ago the air temp in my back yard was 101 at 6:00 pm. With the humidity factored in the real feel was 129.

We stayed inside that evening.

Mike

Buy a small room. 5-6000 square foot Air conditioner for the bedrooms window. Summers installation is all that's required. Fire it up a hour or so before your reloading on hot humid days . Not only cools but too evaporates moisture from the air. I seldom reload in the summer at my house even with its having central air. But I do at my club range every time I go there to bench-rest this or that. Club buildings are hot inside but little humility do to there unfinished Notty Pine interior walls. As for me I wouldn't hand load anything in a (uncomfortable) high humidity environment. I'm spoiled nhyrum.

xcc_rider

I reload in my garage so I turn the swamp cooler and ceiling fan up to high and go for it.
It's better to be cool and humid than to have drops of sweat land in the cases.
(Without the swamp cooler my garage can soften candle wax)

My reloading area is in my basement, which is VERY humid (I live in Northern Virginia, which is an old Indian phrase for "Holy crap it's like breathing underwater!")

I run a 65 pint dehumidifier pretty much all the time during the summer to keep the humidity down.

TheGageinator

I reload in my garage which is not climate controlled, so I box and bag up all my tools, powder, and primers with desiccant when not in use. Kind of a pain. I learned the hard way not to just keep my press and powder measure In the desk drawer.... So much rust....

Sport45

I reload in the garage and usually deal with humidity by sweating more...

But, as TheGageinator mentioned, stuff rusts much slower when put away. I don't have to seal everything up, just putting it in a drawer or cabinet will greatly slow rust formation. If I leave any bare steel out on the bench it will start rusting within a week.