How do you carry your 4" .44 when hunting?

Para Bellum

Sickinger

I've bought the Sickinger New Break out yesterday, but without the additional leather strap:
NewBreakOut_gross.jpg

http://www.sickinger.at/Englisch/Sites/home.htm
very comfortable even for a little fellow like me (5'10" / 175#).

And I plan to get this, a Sickinger Exekutive, as well for strong side carry:
Executive_gross.jpg

http://www.sickinger.at/Englisch/Sites/home.htm
This seems rather smart. When sitting or driving, you can open the upper knob and the turn the holster in the joint (or take it from the upper part). And when you fix it, you have a very low holster, well accessible when hunting with heavy jackets...

Last edited:

2500ak

Another vote for across the chest carry. I have an under shoulder holster too, and maybe if the gun didn't have a 6" barrel I could pull it off, but with a heavy jacket it's not easy enough to draw quickly.

shortwave

These days, most of my handgun hunting is done with a scoped revolver. Eye's aren't what they used to be.:rolleyes:. I carry across the chest in leather rigs made by a fellow shooter friend that loves shooting/hunting with large revolvers.

FWIW, Wide, leather, adustable shoulder straps for a chest rig is very important to me. Makes for extra comfort when hunting all day.

rodfac

With any coat, light or heavy, I carry my 4-5/8" .45 Colt Vaquero or a .44 Spl Flat Top BH in a Tom Threeperson's belt holster on the strong side. It's as quick as any shoulder rig (you've got to get the coat out of the way with either), and I like the fact that it's not exposed to the sweat of my underarm. Rodfac

ch47gunner

Galco -

Galco Dual Action Outdoorsman. The DAO can be worn strong side or crossdraw. I've found this option invaluable when slinging a rifle is required. Also offers decent access to the gun while still giving good coverage of the firearm.
Here's a pic of my S&W 629 Classic 5" stuffed into the 4" holster.

Bruce

xms071stgunpics071-1.jpg

Bailey Boat

Well, just call me old fashioned and simplistic but I carry a 4" gun (whatever the caliber of the day may be) in the ORANGE front loading vest that the law says I MUST wear when hunting. The front loading "pockets" hold it at the prefect angle for a short cross draw and works well for either left or right handed people. I've been doing it this way for many years and carry guns from a Mod 18/34 .22 up to N frame .357's and 44's......