How do you carry your 4" .44 when hunting?

pythagorean

I like the under the armpit (left side) because it is basically hidden from anyone I encounter in the mountains. I really like the side holster that openly carries but you never know what you run up against in the mountains. You want to be able to draw the gun fast in case but you also want to look entirely harmless to anything that is looking at you as a target.
Either a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 or SW in .44 Magnum or whatever under the left armpit. I'd avoid the .357. You may encounter a bear with her children.
Another problem quite different from a mere man.

treg

When still hunting in cold weather I my revo in a hand muff in front of me with both hands. This allows thin gloves and a quick draw with the muff strapped to your waist. There is also a holster on my side to put the gun in to free up my hands.

Warm weather = strong hand carry. Holster is there to free up hands when needed.

IrvJr

Bandolier holster for my 4-5/8" 44 mag super blackhawk while hunting (I use it for deer hunting on occasion). cross draw holster if i need to carry it while hiking.

publius

whether it be my 4 5/8 blackhawk or 6 in. 629 they are in a leather crossdraw belt holster. carrying crossdraw is the most comfortable method of carry for me and my rifle butt isn't banging against the pistol when it is slung over my shoulder. when I wear overalls it looks pretty silly having a pistol belt wrapped around my waist but I haven't seen any girls that I want to impress with my attire walking around in the woods so i don't worry about it.

22-rimfire

4" M57 fits nicely in a Bianchi high ride belt holster. It is mostly for backup or shots of opportunity however. I carry my 9.5" SRH with a scope in a bandoleer holster but mostly in my hands same as I would a rifle.

jal5

you might look at the Simplyrugged.com site for his version of the pancake holster with a unique bandolier rig. very comfortable and secure for my 357 mag for hunting. It rides across the chest and doesn't move if climbing, etc.

Joe

rantingredneck

Simply Rugged Sourdough

I also use a Simply Rugged Sourdough to carry my 4" .357 (GP100). It can be worn strong side or cross draw, or as a previous poster indicated you can purchase his "Chesty Puller" rig to convert it to a bandolier type chest holster.

I wear mine strong side at 4:00 and it works for me.

MLeake

+1 SimplyRugged.com

I use a Simply Rugged pancake in one of three modes.

If the revolver is the only firearm carried, then it'll be in the pancake, strong side, OWB.

If it is backup to a rifle, then it'll be in the pancake, cross-draw, OWB, because on the strong side a slung rifle will slam into the grip (found this out once by messing up my stock against the checkered back-strap of a 1911 I was carrying strong-side.... d'oh).

Or, if I'm also carrying something like a backpack, where straps may bind on either side, then I'll use the Chesty Puller adapter and sling the pancake on my chest, as rantingredneck and jal5 mentioned.

SadistAssassin

My 4" 626 rides crossdraw on the chest here in AK......just think, if you are ever pounced by a bear or big cat or even a moose, where are your hands going to be? To your sides where your hip holster lives, or on the front of your torso where your hands will be busy trying to not get your face ripped off by said critters. Probably easier to draw from the chest than from your sides

Last edited:

Hammer It

How do you carry your 4" .44 when hunting?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title says all.
Please also consider heavy clothing in winter.
thanks.

Hello
In a Factory S&W shoulder rig. They can at times be found on Flea-Bay, Gunbroker.com or Auction Arms for a decent price. I have one for my Snub J-Frames, 4" K-Frames, 6" K-Frame's, 4" N-Frames along with 6" N-Frame S&W revolvers. They are super comfortable, fit the revolver's like a Glove and do not seem to wear the finish on them badly due to a Great fit and soft interior leather finish of the holster...:) Hammer It

0aac7bbc.jpg