How do ya'll stand the recoil? Slug shooting that is..

Bull Barrell

I also have an 870 w/Mossy rifled barrel w/cantlever scope mount, with a Simmons Blazer 3-9 x 50 scope.
I'm shooting Winchester SSP12 2-3/4 385 gr JHP sabot slugs. 1900fps-it kicks like a mule! Make that two! Sighted it in one day. It took me about 15 rounds to finally get it right, as I had no sand bags or shot bags. After 3 shots, the pain was unbearable. Waited a bit, and did it some more. At the end of the day, my shoulder wasn't sore! Next day, no bruise! I figured I would have a big bruise, as I was only wearing a t-shirt. Next time I fired the gun it was at a deer. I missed, because I flinched in anticipation of the kick. Surprise, I never felt the recoil.
My son took a video of me firing the gun. My upper body moved a good 6 inches from the recoil. The scope hits me in the eye-good thing I wear glasses!
I've fired it a few more times at targets, and I guess I'm getting used to it. I do know that 385 gr slug will hollow a large pumpkin with one shot. It just takes the guts of the pumpkin and sucks it out the exit hole.
I'll probably end up getting a better recoil pad, if only for making a long day of trap more enjoyable.

skipjack

I was shooting my mossberg slug gun with rifled barrel today, and tried a box of winchester supreme platinum tip sabot slugs.
The projectile weighs 400 grains and the round produces considerably less recoil than foster type slugs. In addition, the round hit the bull at 100 yards with no change in zero from my last range session, when I sighted in with foster type slugs at 50 yards. They are expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

We also test fired an old Franchi that belonged to my late uncle.
This shotgun is very light and has just a front sight blade, and is s smoothbore.
Even though it is a semi auto, it kicked like a mule! I was hitting a deer silhouette target in the vitals consistently both with slugs and 00 buckshot. The buckshot gave a good pattern out to 35 yards; beyond that is too far. Anyway, this gun truly kills on both ends. Happy Holidays!

Redlg155

In addition, the round hit the bull at 100 yards with no change in zero from my last range session, when I sighted in with foster type slugs at 50 yards.

What kind of accuracy did you experience and did you get any excessive leading shooting those out of a rifled barrel?

Well folks, I just got back from the range myself.

The conclusion? The Winchester 3" Magnums aren't worth the extra recoil just for 50 fps more velocity. It seems that I got 1/3 as much more recoil using the 3" mags than I did the 2 3/4" . I still have a box of 2 3/4 that I used to sight in and they were comfortable compared to the 3" mags.

Why? I have no clue. There shouldn't be that much of an increase in recoil just for 50fps more velocity. I felt like I was in danger of losing an eyebrow due to scope jump. With the 2 3/4 things were fine.

As for accuracy, both performed the same in group size. I was extremely happy with an honest 3" group at 100 meters with the expected trajectory differences. At 25 meters I shot one round of both. The 3" magnum round printed just above the 2 3/4", making a nice figure "8".

Anyway..to make a long story short, I'm going back to 2 3/4. I just don't see any advantage gained by the considerably more recoil vs gained velocity.

Good Shooting
RED

Edward429451

The 3" slugs are more recoil than their worth. I just use 2-3/4" slugs and never have bruising or a sore shoulder. I suck it up tight to my shoulder, marry that stock with my cheek, and relax and 'go with the flow'. Never try to stonewall a shotgun, you'll lose. Just lean into it like already was stated.

I used to get a tender cheek from too many per session but not anymore, them cheekpads are worth the $$.;)

gordo b.

In the bad old days I used to shoot(still have) a Remington 870 Magnum with the factory folding stock.I shot it folded from the hip with a CASE of 000 3" buckshot until I could hit pepper poppers from about 10 yds regularly. Id pump that thing 7 shots as fast as I could and be happy to mow down 5 poppers in 5 to seven seconds. Always missed one or two of the seven shots even after practice.I did this for fun when I was 30 something and pistol grip pumps were starting to be in vouge. Point is: off bench use a sissy bag for scope sighting in , rest of the time enjoy the shooting sport,sport.:D

skipjack

Red, I didn't have enough rounds to do as extensive testing as I would like...those little buggers cost $10.99/5 rounds and I hesitated to buy more than one box until I saw how the first box shot. The first two rounds were shot at a 25 yard target, and they were touching each other. The third round went into the center of the 100 yard sight in target and rounds four and five were both in the kill zone on 100 yard deer silhouette targets; shot from a seated position. I plan to buy a few boxes and will report back after I get a chance to shoot those. We still have a two day season for antlerless deer in January and I am enthused with what I saw today.
Regards,
Mike

illuminatus99

I like shooting slugs better than buckshot or even birdshot, I just keep it tight into my shoulder and roll with the recoil, I just let it rock me back. so basically you want your upper body rigid and your lower body fairly relaxed. I'm only 120 pounds (and yes, I do eat) and have never had a bruise on my shoulder from firing slugs, my mosin nagant OTOH........ouch

SDC

When I shoot my 870 with slugs, I just make sure to keep the stock pulled in tight against my shoulder; if there's even a LITLE bit of space in there for the gun to "bounce" against you, you're really going to feel it. One popular trick is to also fill all of the hollow space in your stock with as much lead shot as you can squeeze in there; if the gun weighs more, there's less recoil transferred to YOU.

Mannlicher

I dont recall ever feeling recoil when shooting at game. I do admit to not really liking recoil when sighting in, off the bench rest with the slugs.

CMichael

Last week I used 3" magnum 1750 fps slugs. I bruised my cheek doing it. It felt like it nearly took my shoulder off.

Michael

RL1

Hello TFL and welcome back!

Just to put things in perspective, here are a couple of videos of me shooting my Fabarm SDASS Pro Forces (14" barrel) for the first time a few weeks ago...it was my first time shooting something other than .22! (just got my licence a couple of months ago)..keep in mind I am 6' and (ahem) 300+ pounds :)

Shooting low recoil Winchester Ranger "tactical" 00

http://www.fototime.com/9B8706E3FCD819F/conv.wmv

Shooting a slug :)

http://www.fototime.com/50539926BEFAA81/conv.wmv

RL

Dead

You should try those heavy 10ga slugs

1 3/4 oz slug out of a 10ga 3 1/2" shell... OUCH!!

I enjoy shooting the 1 1/4oz 12ga 2 3/4 slugs, but those 10ga ones forget it, at most I will shoot 2 in a day. Maybe if I did not have a very light 10ga it wouldnt be so bad