How do I clean minor pitting out of a rifle barrel

wachtelhund1

Hi, A little update on my 6.5 Jap T38 conversion to 6.5X57 Mauser. Been kind of busy and haven't had time to post. Hand reaming went smooth. I added a Timny trigger. Since T38 barrel were 1:9 twist, I worked up loads with two bullets, 100 gn BTs and 120 gr A-Maxs and IMR 4350 and went to the range once. The 100 gn BTs shot well just under 1.5" to 2" groups. The A-Maxs shot 2" to 2.5" groups. This was with a 4X fixed scope. Only did one shooting as I've been busy. But my F class league well be finishing this weekend and other summer projects are finished, so I'll have more time working up loads. Gun shoots well enough to buy some 7X57 brass and fire form. I think I'll use this gun this deer season.

Harry Bonar

pitting

Sir;
You cannot "clean-up" pitting!
All you can do is to clean out the rust as good as possible - once rust eats its way into the steel this deep as to cause pitting it will still, if not too bad, still shoot pretty good!
Harry B.

wachtelhund1

Another update on my T38 Arisaka.

I had some time to work up loads. 100 gr BTs shot pretty good, but I couldn't get anything heavier to group to my expectations - 1.5-2.0". Plus I had a lot of flyiers. I wanted this for a shooter and hunting and didn't want to put a hole lot of money into it. So I re-barreled this T 38 with a Midway Adams & Bennett .264, chrommoly barrel. Had my gunsmith thread and chamber the barrel again to 6.5 X 57mm Mauser, cut and crown to 22". I cold blued the barrel temporaily.

I purchased an older Hornady reloading book with 6.5 x 57mm load data at a gun show. So I went back to 120 gr, A-Max bullets. The Hornady data for their 120 gr started at 43 grains of IMR 4350 and maxed out at 47.5 grains for a velocity of 2,900 fps. I used Nosler 7 x 57mm brass to form the 6.5 X 57mm case. I loaded in half grain increments from 44 to 47.5 grain. The Adams & Bennett barrel fowled easily and was cleaned after each 5 to 10 shot firing. But the barrel shot better as more rounds were fired. Break was done with previously loaded ammo. Group size reduced as the load charge increased. Best load was 47.5 grains, but bolt was hard to open and velocity was 3,040 fps. According to the Hornady book the 47.5 charge should have had a MV of 2,900 fps. Other than the bolt being hard to open the cases showed no signs of high pressurer. I assume the Nosler 7 X 57mm brass was a little thicker brass. In the end I went back to 44.0 of IMR 4350. this last week, I fired eight shots into a .8" group, MV 2,744 fps. I will used this load for this coming deer season.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
In the end I went back to 44.0 of IMR 4350. this last week, I fired eight shots into a .8" group, MV 2,744 fps. I will used this load for this coming deer season.
Looks like you found a perfect solution, congratulations.