How can I stop top strap erosion?

bigghoss

why would someone buy one of the bigboys to shoot reasonable loads?;)

johnbt

" I have been doing this "

So have I. I thought everybody did it. Okay, I forget the pencil sometimes, but every little bit helps.

totaldla

orion_engnr said:
How in the Hell do you shoot heavy Magnum loads through a 329 without permanent wrist damage?

I'm no expert, as I've only 150 rounds or so through mine, but I've found a couple of ways to make the recoil livable. So I don't think it is near as bad as some would describe it. But I don't have carpal, arthritis, busted bones, etc. either.

The 4" barrel makes it difficult to hit those "magnum" velocities, which is probably good.

Webleymkv

What I am really wondering about (given my experience with Scandium revolvers, especially of the Magnum breed) is this:

How in the Hell do you shoot heavy Magnum loads through a 329 without permanent wrist damage? I know the 329 weighs a good bit more than the 340/360, but those things are downright brutal, at least to my 50+ year old, carpal-tunnel-syndrome affected wrists. And even the 396 (.44 Spl) and the 325 (.45 acp) were somewhat unpleasant with full power loads.

I've been told by people who've shot both that the Scandium J-Frame .357's are actually even worse in the recoil department than the 329 (though I'm sure both will certainly get your attention). I'm guessing that the more substantial grip of the 329 is the most likely cause of this.

totaldla

In my opinion, grip shape and material is a HUGE factor effecting perceived recoil with an ultra-lightweight revolver. The next biggest issue is where you place the grip in your hand. You can afford a sloppy grip with a 3.5lb 357mag, but I know bad technique will make itself painfully obvious with a 16oz version. And regardless of technique, you are still going to get pounded with the ultra-light - there's really no way around it. It's the price we pay for enjoying the light carry weight.

orionengnr

I guess I'll leave those Scandium jobbies to you youngsters :)
More power to you. I sure like my .357 and .41 Magnums, but I like them in steel N-frames.
In any event, I think that replaceable sacrificial blast shield was a stroke of genius. Far better than letting the top strap deal with it.

44 AMP

Staff
Flame cutting the topstrap is a self limiting problem

Sure, it looks nasty, but once the metal is "cut" away, it stops, because the flame from the powder blast no longer has the energy to erode the steel, due to the increased distance.

Now, the question is, does the reduction of metal in the eroded area significantly weaken the frame?

I don't know. All the guns I have seen cut have had a shallow groove, only a very small percentage of the metal in that area. I'm sure this does weaken the frame, from an empirical standpoint, but does it weaken the frame from a practical standpoint? I don't know.

With one of the alloy frame guns, is this a more serious issue? Again, I don't know. But what I do know is...

That there is no free lunch. Lightweight guns wear out, faster than bigger heavier ones. What you are giving up for the ease of carry is longevity. Now, I think you will still be buying the gun several times over in ammo costs, before it reaches the end of its safe service life, so ask yourself, for what you pay, how long should it last?

And be prepared to accept an answer you don't like.

WVfishguy

Could be worse. One of my dealers showed me what was left of a new 340 PD which blew up in a customer's hand - while he was shooting .38 specials. He had three of the four pieces of the cylinder - the other is, apparently, still in orbit.

As a Smith & Wesson collector, I find the new guns embarrassing.

If I carry a revolver, it's this:
ModifiedRugerServiceSix2.jpg

Kent E

I appreciate the recommendation for penciling in the cut, whoever originally thought of that was brilliant. But... I'd just replace heat shield.

grubbylabs

Well I am in the market for one of these light weight revolvers for two reasons. 1st is I archery hunt where there are lots of bears and wolves. 2nd I am on foot when I hunt and I cover lots of ground usually, so light weight while hiking is important. I think that most who buy a gun like this don't buy it because we want a cool or different rang toy, but rather something that could stop a grumpy sow with cubs, or send a wolf rolling. I am not sure just how much I will shoot it once I have one but I am sure that it won't be a lot but just enough to know where the bullet it going and what to expect when I do pull the bang switch.

totaldla

Well I tried the pencil trick - doesn't seem to work. I'm pretty sure this is covered under the S&W warranty, so I'll keep an eye on it and send it back when the time is right. I'm at 500 rounds now and it looks to be about half cut.

totaldla

gubbylabs said:
Well I am in the market for one of these light weight revolvers for two reasons. 1st is I archery hunt where there are lots of bears and wolves. 2nd I am on foot when I hunt and I cover lots of ground usually, so light weight while hiking is important. I think that most who buy a gun like this don't buy it because we want a cool or different rang toy, but rather something that could stop a grumpy sow with cubs, or send a wolf rolling. I am not sure just how much I will shoot it once I have one but I am sure that it won't be a lot but just enough to know where the bullet it going and what to expect when I do pull the bang switch.

Have fun researching this! Sounds like you and I have the same criteria. These things are expensive and I am cheap - took me a long time researching before I parted with my money.

SaberOne

I’m curious about this subject as well. What is it about a lighter weight bullet that exacerbates this type of wear? If I understand correctly, a 110gr .38+P causes more wear than a 135gr .38+P on any given revolver frame?

Last edited:

grubbylabs

I have started to look for one, two shops around have them in stock and the rest say get on the list, know I just have to sell a dog to come up with the money. Any one want a started hunting lab?

Peter M. Eick

On my Supermag's I only use stick powders and no ball powders. I use the pencil technique and I have kept the cutting to a mild amount.

I read a long test about the Supermags that pointed out it is the sand blasting effect of high pressure gasses and fine ball powders that was doing the cutting. Staying with 4227 over h110 seems to help a lot.

SaberOne

Thanks, just wondering... With regard to stainless revolvers, it is possible that hard chrome plating would greatly reduce this type of wear?
Dan

KyJim

I'll have to say that I've never seen and never heard of the topstrap of a revolver breaking because of flame cutting. As others have mentioned, it's more of a cosmetic issue, though I do look for it when buying a used revolver for an indication of number of rounds and overall condition.

I’m curious about this subject as well. What is it about a lighter weight bullet that exacerbates this type of wear? If I understand correctly, a 110gr .38+P causes more wear than a 135gr .38+P on any given revolver frame?
The issue is usually more because of lightweight .357 rounds. The theory is that the heavier bullets exit the cylinder a little later than lighter bullets, allowing more of the propellant to burn before hitting the cylinder gap and allowing less plasma to hit the forcing cone and topstrap.

stevieboy

I've accepted flame cutting as a fact of life. I've never seen it in any of my .357s after I've fired 158 gr. magnum rounds, and of course, I've never seen it with anything that comes in .38. But, just a few rounds of 125 gr. magnums put an obvious crease in the topstraps of my 27 and 686. I've seen no subsequent enlargement of these grooves, notwithstanding that both of these guns are in my regular rotation and get shot a lot.

SaberOne

I have considered hard chrome on my 640 & 686 as a protective shield for general purposes, but I'm sure this would also be added insurance against this type of wear.

Last edited: