How about this setup for 500+ yards 223

greensteelforge

I have been shooting military matches for a number of years, and have seen other guys put all their rounds inside the ten ring at 900 yards with rack grade issued M-16's (albeit chosen for being unusually accurate) and standard iron sights. The round will sling lead well past 1000, and if you do your part, fairly accurately. If you are just looking to poke holes in paper, .223 is plenty of firepower, just make sure you get at least a 1 in 10" rifling twist so you can stabilize heavier bullets. The lightweight barn-burner .223's are great for vaporizing little critters and soda cans, but they tend to drift too much for reliable extreme range accuracy, so something that can fire 60-80 grain bullets would help you greatly in your pursuit.

DeepEastKilla

yep. i was thinking about the twist rates last night. i looked it up and the consensus was fast rats (1:12 on the tikka) will only work for 55s but lower rates like 1:9 or 1:7 will do heavy hullets and still do well with 55s. the tikka in 223 can either have 1:12 or 1:8 im sure i would go with the 1:8, sound right?

JohnKSa

Administrator
Actually the 1:12 is a slow twist compared to the 1:9 or 1:7.

The second number in the twist rate tells you how many inches it takes to make 1 turn. So 1:12 is 1 turn in 12" which is slower than 1:9 (1 turn in 9") or 1:7. ;)