How about this setup for 500+ yards 223

DeepEastKilla

Well, i posted a very similar thread on TheHighRoad forums and im not sure but to me it seemed like they just liked to tell me i had no idea what im talking about trying to shoot 223 at 500 yards and that i dont know what im talking about as far as the scope goes, but anyways here it is.

I have been shooting for a few years now and i really need to upgrade. Right now i have a savage mark ll FSS in 22lr topped off with a cheap $70 Center point optics(crosman) 4-16x40mm scope. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the scope but thats just a different story. I was looking at 223 rifles a year or to ago when i was trying to upgrade but things just didnt pan out. I was and still am thinking that the Tikka t3 lite stainless is one of the best rifles i can get in its price range. Im not positive what scope is best for me but im looking at the Super Sniper scope by SWFA(10x44mm). It has all of the features i want, but it would be nice to have an adjustable magnification. I also have to decide weather it is worth the extra $100 to have the parallax on the side instead of in the back. If anyone has any recommendations on better scopes (under 800 PLEASE!!!!) it would be nice to hear them. I would want mil-dot reticle, adjustable parallax,tactical turrets, and hopefully adjustable power (max above 9X). I think i will want to stick with the tikka t3 stainless lite in 223 tho so please dont make suggestions on moving up to a higher caliber, but if you think there is a better rifle out there for the money, and i wont have to upgrade to get the performance of the tikka than please say something. Someone recommended that i should just setup a benchrest rifle if im looking to shoot 223 at 300+ yards but I will more than likely use the rifle cor coyote and varmint hunting also. I will probably also get a 6-9 swivel bipod for shooting in prone or from a table.

thanks for your ideas and suggestions, Mike

DeepEastKilla

O and as far as The scope I would like at least 100 MOA adjustment for elevation. I will more than likely try shooting even further than 500 at maybe 850+

thanks again!

Claude Clay

223 out to 600 yards when i can---about 4 times a year. thats as far as my reload formula is good for.
as for a scope a 10 power for shooting--get the best optics you can afford.
a rifle that can, wont if the optics don't. Burris is good value for $$.
+1 for the 4200 bushnell elite. mine is a older,4x12 high contrast model. its still in use.

i use a 4" Schmidt-cassigren for a spotting scope; works for the stars & 223 holes at 5 or 6 hundred yards are not a strain

good luck

DeepEastKilla

wow that scope would fit really nice with the tikka, the only problem i have is that it doesnt have the tactical turrets. and thats one of my biggest things. oce u go tactical you cant go back (or at least its REALLY hard)

DeepEastKilla

I do like the looks of the 700 but not really the models that the stock gets smaller out at the forend(even though the tikka does it) Im not sure about weight on a 700 but i think it would be a bit heavier. I also like the stainless on the tikka, my 22 has it and its is really nice not having to coat it when im done shooting. Ive also heard that stock remington 700 actions are really not that great and the bolt really isnt always good, ive heard nothing but great stuff about the tikkas tho. I do think a 700 has to have something going for it tho becuase it seems to be the 10/22 of centerfire rifles!

zoomie

Ive also heard that stock remington 700 actions are really not that great and the bolt really isnt always good,
I've heard those things, too, but I've yet to actually hear a person say first-hand what went wrong with their 700 bolt. Lots of "my buddy said," and "da entrnet sez."

DeepEastKilla

Im doing some tikka t3 vs remington 700 searches right now and ill see what turns up. o and how do you qoute on here. most forums have a qoute button lol

zoomie

Copy and paste the text you want to quote, highlight it, then click
quote.gif

DeepEastKilla

thats the problem i always have. i can never make a strait descision and im always second guessing myself. i dont have a lot of money so i end up saving for a long time and i tend to go through 50 different things that i think will be the best, but the tikka has always been there, but i still am not sure what scope to go with, altho i really like the SS

DeepEastKilla

At long ranges it would be a target gun but i do want to do coyote hunting also.
I would be saving for a while like i said before so my buget would probable be around that mark, but im thinking if i can setup a bolt action and optics for under the cost of a good ar with no optics than i would be happy

DeepEastKilla

a lot of people have told me i should use a higher caliber but i would like to be able to shoot quit a lot. whats the use of a rifle if you save for a year and then cant afford to shoot it! lol or at least thats what i tell people. also the first center fire rifle i shot was a 243. ahhh good times, good times.... i also like the 223 because i could shoot along side all my buddies and get some competition going. a guy i know just set up a custom dpms ar. and it is real nice( HEAVY AS HELL!) now wouldnt it just be funny if i could get my bolt setup including optics for 1/2-3/4 the price he paid just for his gun? lol

DeepEastKilla

yea i know that, especially with ammo prices now. im thinking that i will probably shoot a while on factory ammo untill i can afford the supplies to reload with.