How about a bolt or lever 327?

TMD

Ruger still see's some hope due to the new release LCR 327 but again you cant find them.

Go to any one of your local gun shops and ask them if they can get one. My bet is everyone of their distributors has some in stock. Reason they aren't on the shelves at LGS's is because the one thing missing for them is customers who want one.

FrankenMauser

Go to any one of your local gun shops and ask them if they can get one. My bet is everyone of their distributors has some in stock. Reason they aren't on the shelves at LGS's is because the one thing missing for them is customers who want one.
It's actually just the opposite.
The last runs of .327 Federal revolers (the .327 LCR and .327 SP101 4") sold out extremely quickly, so there just aren't any in distributor inventory any more. There are certain to be a few floating around in dealer inventory here and there, but distributor inventory is zero.

smee78

FrankenMauser is correct, the distributors dont have any in inventory. I have been looking and the last run went fast so someone out there is buying them.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Considering how fast the .32 Mag Marlins died out, I don't think there's enough market for a .327 long gun to be sustainable in sales.

Like that .32 Mag, there'd be SOME buyers, but not enough.
Denis

FrankenMauser

Considering how fast the .32 Mag Marlins died out, I don't think there's enough market for a .327 long gun to be sustainable in sales.

Like that .32 Mag, there'd be SOME buyers, but not enough.
Denis
While I agree, in principle; I disagree to some extent for certain models.

The Ruger 77/22H, for example, only needs a different barrel, a larger breech bolt recess, and a modified magazine (feed lips and magazine body, at a minimum - probably a follower, as well).

Some rough calculations a while back indicated that they should be able to make a profit with a run as low as 1,200 pieces. Make it 3,000-5,000 pieces, and it should be well worth their time.
But it is, admittedly, a drop in the bucket for Ruger - even when only considering rifle production numbers. ...And fewer people would want a 77/327 than a lever action .327.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Your only chance there'd be a special distributor's edition.
Ruger is unlikely to be interested in anything less than a guaranteed 2000 piece order with cash up front.
Denis

hemiram

I have to admit, I don't understand the appeal of the .327 at all. A lever rifle in .357, a Rossi, will be my next gun purchase, unless some insane deal comes along before that.

DPris

Member Emeritus
If you, your old man, and your brothers each email Lipsey's, might be able to get the ball rolling. :)
Denis

I have to admit, I don't understand the appeal of the .327 at all. A lever rifle in .357, a Rossi, will be my next gun purchase, unless some insane deal comes along before that.

Thats quite all right. You dont need too.

But there are plenty of us that do get the appeal of a 327 lever gun and would buy one as soon as they would announce one.

I have a M92 in 357 magnum. I like it ok. But its not my small game woods tromper.
Right now I go out with my Single 7 loaded with 2 327 mag loads, 2 32 mag loads, 2 S&W L loads and one 32 short load.
Depending on what I see and the distance away. I twist the cylinder to the proper load.

For a shot farther that the Single 7 I have a Savage Sporter in 32-20

It works just fine for what I want. But would jump at the chance to a handier 327 carbine to replace the 32-20.

Thats what I want to take. If I wanted to use a 38 I would but thats not what I want.

I just want what I want. Simple as that.

Crankylove

I'm all for it.

I've eyeballed my 77/22 Hornet a few thinking of a .327 conversion. Surprised frankenmauser hasn't tried to buy it off of me yet.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Maybe a step back in time, but .32-20 was a very popular cartridge in both lever and bolt rifles and quite a few of those are still around. Handloading would allow the .32-20 to equal or surpass the .327 Federal in a reasonably strong rifle (like the 1892 Winchester or clones).

Jim

Yup 32-20's are nice in rifles.
Every self respecting 32 guy should have one. You can find a Marlin lever gun in 32-20. Can even find one in the 7 to $800 range.

I may eventually get one if no one shows me they want my money for a 327.

The rifle I have is a Savage Sporter bolt action. Took me a few years to find it. I think I paid under $300 for it. With the right cast load I can head shot a rabbit at 50 yards easy and for sure body hit them dang near as far as I can see them.
So it will stand in.
Thinking about working up a Yote load for it.

here are my 32-20's

101_9595_zpsa5d93e76.jpg

DPris

Member Emeritus
Not knocking the .327, or them what likes 'em, but that was the thing with the .32 Mag Marlin I had.

Nice little gun, shot well, easy toting.
But, one day woke up, thought "Hmm. Got probably four thousand empty .357 brass for my trusty ol' 16-inch .357 Marlin, got at least 2500 empty brass for Bubbles' beloved .32-20 Marlins (both of them), loads of bullets for both calibers, no real use for the .32 Mag that's not covered by something else...." and sold it.

The .327's definitely a niche caliber, and if it fills a hole for you, great.
But, ammo's not all that common, or all that cheap, and the caliber's not all that popular.

I doubt there'll ever be a rifle market to speak of.
Denis

fourbore

A 327 Marlin would be nice, but not sure I would want a down graded wood, lesser metal finish and poor QC from Ilion NY. The fine wood, finish and smooth & reliable marlins are gone.

A Ruger 77 would be nice, but at M77 prices, I expect nice walnut and blue steel - figure the odds?

I have not warmed up to Henry. Nothing wrong, just not on my preferred list. I would look.

A 327 in a rilfe, has to be a nice rifle, other wise I am not that desperate or that much cash burning a hole in my pocket.

A miruko M92 would be perfect. A contender barrel maybe, I dont see any new contender stuff these days. H&R is gone. CVA pistol maybe?

FrankenMauser

I'm all for it.

I've eyeballed my 77/22 Hornet a few thinking of a .327 conversion. Surprised frankenmauser hasn't tried to buy it off of me yet.
Yours is a good one, and you love it.
No point in tearing it apart when it's just fine as-is.
(Likely well beyond my targeted budget, as well.)

Pathfinder45

Basically, you are looking at duplicating the performance of the 32WCF and 30 M1 Carbine. The brass might be more durable for the reloader than 32 WCF. Other than that, I don't see a compelling reason to expect there to be sufficient demand to make it a profitable investment for mainstream manufacturer to commit to it. It would be a gamble with poor odds of success. I think Marlin's 32 H&R even lacked a loading gate.

briandg

It would be nice, but the idea is improbable. A bolt gun can be rebarrelled into many new things, but it's not so simple for Henry, for example, to alter feed ramps, breech, tubes, barrels,extraction and ejection.

I'd like one. Being able to fire a round a bit between.38 and .22 magnum would be nice.