How about a bolt or lever 327?

smee78

I find it hard to believe that no one is making a bolt or lever gun for the 327Mag round. I would think a rifle in this round would add to the popularity of the round and being able to shoot other 32cal rounds (32 H&R, 32L) would only be a plus. Ruger could make a 77/327mag bolt gun (or even something like a 10/327 carbine like the 10/22) and Marlin could come out with a 1894 327mag lever gun. The 32 H&R rifles Marlin use to make sell for a verry hi price these days. I'm sure a nice light bolt or lever gun would do well? What say you of The Firing Line? Any one else think there is a market for one of these? They would be the reloadable 22, everything from plinker/bunny fart loads all the way up to barn burners could be loaded for these. I havent even seen a break action single shot? :confused:

NINEX19

I was just thinking the same thing a few days ago. I second the idea.

It would make a really good lever or bolt gun. I have an M77/357 and it is one of the most fun and useful guns I own. I think a .327 would be a great chambering in this model also.

Right now, trying to track down ammo or even just bullets and load data, it a big pain and near impossible, so production of components needs to increase first. That might drive demand a bit more. I guess thinking about it now, it it actually difficult to locate a gun chambered for it. I would really like to find a single seven, reasonably priced or not. They seem to be a rare breed.

Mycin

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Whenever Ruger & Federal developed the .327, they should have partnered with a lever rifle maker (Marlin, Winchester, Henry, Rossi -- somebody) to bring out a traditional lever gun chambered in it at the time it was announced. It would have ginned up more than twice the amount of interest in the round. They could have cross-marketed the guns, with ads in gun rags showing a Ruger revolver, a Henry (say) rifle, and Federal ammo featured in one big glossy ad. Gun writers would have been evaluating how well the round did on white tails, varmints, and hogs at 100 yards, not just on how it compared to a .357 from a snub-nosed revolver.

They should have done the same with the .480 Ruger.

alex0535

Yep, ever since I learned about the .327 magnum I've wanted a lever gun in it. Feel like it would of made for a useful medium sized game and varmint rifle.

FrankenMauser

I've been doing two things for nearly six years, now:

1. Waiting for a bolt action or lever action .327 Federal rifle.
2. Keeping my eyes peeled for a 77/22H (Hornet) or 77/357 beater that I can convert to .327 Federal.

As is, I've just had to settle for picking up more revolvers. I have four Ruger .327s now.
Really like the cartridge. Would love to see it in a good rifle.

Gunplummer

Sounds like a good project gun for a few people. Can't really blame the gun manufacturers for not wanting to invest in another novelty cartridge.

NINEX19

As is, I've just had to settle for picking up more revolvers. I have four Ruger .327s now.

That's where they all are. :D Let me know if you want to part with one (not an LCR though)

hammie

@FrankenMauser and anyone else: I apologize if I'm hi-jacking the thread. Don't mean to. But I have a 4 inch SP101, chambered for .32 H&R and I've been toying with reaming it out to .327. Is that a good idea, or would I just be ruining a good .32 H&R?

Back to topic: A .327/77 Ruger bolt gun would be useful. I'd buy one. It should shoot even nicer with a volquartsen sear.

Smee's comment about a break-open was thought provoking. A barrel in .327 for a TC G2 or encore should sell. I think S&W has let the TC products languish, but there are still plenty of people out there with TC frames. I already have a TC barrel chambered for .32-20 (actually .308-.32-20). Flat shooting and little recoil.

FrankenMauser

I'd be interested in a lever gun in this caliber. What does it offer that a .357 doesn't?
In a revolver, the answer is higher velocity and higher capacity (an additional one or two rounds, generally); or the ability to chamber a .357 Magnum-class cartridge in a firearm too small for .357 Mag (such as a Bearcat or Single-Six).

In a rifle, it gives you lower recoil with smaller, lighter projectiles. In theory, it should come with a more compact action, as well ... but I doubt that would be the case if a .327 rifle ever came to market.

I'm sure most of us that want a .327 rifle would also like to be able to run .32 H&R and even .32 S&W Long in it; but there's no guarantee that the capability would be there - especially for a bolt-action or an adaptation of an existing lever-action. So I don't really count cartridge 'reverse-compatibility' to be a benefit in a rifle.

Mostly, what .327 Federal would offer in a rifle, that .357 Mag can't, is the fact that it's .327 Federal.

@FrankenMauser and anyone else: I apologize if I'm hi-jacking the thread. Don't mean to. But I have a 4 inch SP101, chambered for .32 H&R and I've been toying with reaming it out to .327. Is that a good idea, or would I just be ruining a good .32 H&R?
I wouldn't do it.
To me, the 4" SP101 is primarily a target and small game revolver. In that regard, .32 H&R is plenty (for me).
While I do like .327 Federal, I shoot far more .32 H&R and .32 S&W Long in my revolvers. I like having the capability to achieve some serious muzzle velocities, but I usually opt for more sedate loads.

If you don't reload, it may be a better option to rechamber the revolver. But I reload, and most .32 revolver owners (who actually shoot them) do as well. So I often have reloading in mind when considering things like that.

My .327 Federal SP101 4", while currently my favorite of the group and the planned future sidearm for small game and big game hunting (when legal), has seen at least twice as much .32 H&R, and at least as much .32 S&W Long, as .327 Federal.

PoiDog

I'd buy a lever gun in .327 Federal as soon as I see one on the shelves. I like the round a lot, and also like the .32 H&R Mag round.

My shooting buddy has a Marlin in .32 H&R Mag, but he won't sell it. He likes the round too.

Those are pretty rare, too.

Creek Henry

I have an adapter for 32 acp/HR mag for my 7.65 mauser. I detailed this in a nother thread but i would up reloading mauser cases to 327 mag specs. So, a 32 bolt gun! I would but a real 327 bolt gun if the price was right. It sounds like a throaty 22 and hit 3x harder.

garyhan

I've been waiting for one since the cartridge came out. A Marlin or Henry 16 or 18 inch barrel would be a great companion to my Single Seven. I'm not looking for a deer gun here, so the .327 (with its ability to use .32 S&W or .32 H&R is a superior choice to the .357 to me.

gary

ThomasT

I have one of the rare Marlin 32 mag lever guns. I doubt I have shot 100 rounds through it. I like my 357 lever gun much better. Matter of fact it is my favorite of all the guns I own.

Just so you know, the marlin will NOT feed 32 longs. They get jammed. So I really doubt a lever action chambered for 327 will feed all the other 32 rounds at all. And no, not even 32 acp like everyone likes to shoot through their revolvers.:confused:

If I want lighter loads I load down 32 mag brass. I don't know what a 327 would do that my 357 wont do just as well if not better. I rarely ever load 32 mags to their full potential. I like mid range loads but I do have full power loads. So for me the extra power from a 327 is not needed. But I am all for anything that promotes any interest in 32 caliber guns.

Now that being said one gun I would really like to have in 32 mag is a small, light weight single shot along the lines of the classic Rook & Rabbit rifles popular in europe several decades ago. Even a 32 long would get me excited.

I am pretty sure a 22 hornet handi rifle would clean up on the chamber and then rebore the barrel to 32 mag. I have spent a lot of time day dreaming about a rifle like that. Another option.

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris/articles/32calsmallgamerifles.htm

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris/articles/tinyhandguncartridges.htm

TMD

Sadly the .327's timing was terrible. It came out about 8 years ago during the start of the economic recession and a left leaning president. Everyone at the time panic bought black guns at the time to boot. Along those lines the .32 cals were already fallen to a nictch caliber as well so that didn't help either.

kozak6

The .327 is a neat cartridge, but it's still too expensive and uncommon for me.

I don't think a carbine in .327 would have any real advantage over a .357. Commonality of ammo with a revolver might be cool, but that's about it.

I have no interest in being able to fire the other .32 calibers. They tend to be (relatively) low powered, aren't particularly common, and are often expensive. It's like shooting a .44 Russian in a .44 magnum.

I don't think the 327 Federal will be a lasting marketed cartridge. It really hasn't drawn that much buyers interest that I know of. 357 mag & 44 mag will be the marketplace big dogs for years to come. Any less known Magnum creation needs to find its marketing niche. 327 has failed so far in its effort to do just that. As far as a new lever or bolt product in 327 Federal? If one hasn't appeared by now? ~~Well_we all can only hope one is on Rugers current production list.

NINEX19

I don't think the 327 Federal will be a lasting marketed cartridge. It really hasn't drawn that much buyers interest that I know of. 357 mag & 44 mag will be the marketplace big dogs for years to come. Any less known Magnum creation needs to find its marketing niche. 327 has failed so far in its effort to do just that.

I think you are correct, sadly. I also think that the reason it seems to not have much interest, is that the guns and the cartridge are difficult to find and when you do, they are priced out of range of most looking to start into a new caliber. People have just given up on being able to either find one or afford to shoot it.
I think the interest is there, but lack of availability has caused it to be very back burner for most people. If platforms and cartridge components were as available as .357 Magnum, I think the story would be different.

On a side note, there is a beautiful LNIB Ruger .32 H&R Magnum Single Six SS at my local Cabela's for $520 that has been there for about a month. I have been thinking about taking the plunge on it, but I am holding out for the .327 Mag. I know that once I get the .32 H&R, I will probably stop perusing the .327, at least until one falls in my lap at a good price.

ThomasT

Thats about what I paid for my first ruger 32 mag. My second was a little cheaper since it had a small blemish on the barrel that I repaired. I would get it. With full power loads using L'il Gun powder and an 85 gr bullet I get just over 1300 fps from a 5.5" barrel and 1250 fps from a 4" barrel. That gives me all the speed I need from that caliber. Thats why I haven't jumped on the 327 bandwagon.

I have four 32 mag handguns and three 32 long models plus the rifle. I really like 32 caliber guns. I am always on the hunt for a new one if the price is right. My holy grail gun was a S&W model 631 and I finally found one that I could justify the price on it. But after shooting it I still like the Ruger single sixes a little better.

The last few years have not been kind to new caliber offerings. Ithink the market is saturated and shortages have killed a lot of the desire to invest in a new round.

smee78

I agree with alot that has been said but could the lack of a rifle hurt the little round as far a popularity and sales in the begining?

Ruger still see's some hope due to the new release LCR 327 but again you cant find them.

I know I first started my 32 collection because the lack of 22LR, now I perfer my 32L & 32H&R guns. I enjoy shooting my SP101 & Single Six 32 H&R with 32 wadcutters I load, makes a cheap easy shooting range session.