Hot? Fiocchi 115 gr 9mm ammo

rpenmanparker

I found some Fiocchi 9mm FMJ ammo for the range on Freedom Munitions for a good price and bought 11 boxes. Funny quantity but that is what it took to meet the minimum for free shipping. Anyway I find it very loud with a lot of muzzle flash. Totally different from Freedom I usually run. I have never used any ammo like this. Just wondering if it is out of spec or intended to be this way. Anyone else with experience like this?

74A95

It might or might not be 'hotter' than some other loads.

It could just be the gunpowder. Some powders are flashy and noisy even when they produce the same velocity as other powders.

JDBerg

I shoot Fiocchi regularly and it is definitely hotter than say Fed Champion. It shoots very well from my STI Trojan 9mm 1911, from which I don’t usually shoot 115gr ammo.

JohnKSa

Administrator
In my experience, it is hotter than most FMJ "practice" ammo. I've never had a problem with it, in fact, I consider it to be better than average quality practice ammo.

slabside 1911

It’s the only ammo I use in my full auto UZI because it’s hotter then most. The bolt in the UZI is a big chunk of steel the requires hot ammo.

Maverick36

European 9mm Ammo is hotter . It makes a difference if you get the Fiocchi from Italy or Missouri. I also have MEN from Germany which is pretty hot. Geco ammo is hotter too.
Freedom is pretty soft shooting , thats why I went to it almost exclusivly.

TunnelRat

I wouldn't say Fiocchi is the hottes stuff I shoot, though it certainly is warmer than some options. American Eagle, Speer Lawman, the MEN mentioned before, the 9mm NATO from PPU, all of these are a bit warmer than some other options. I actually prefer it that way as it more closely resembles the defensive loads I carry. Practicing with powder puff loads never really appeals to me, though I do understand that for the older or young less recoil can be helpful.

tipoc

When I have a question like this I usually look at the specs.

The specs show the Fiocchi 115 gr. ammo as running at about 1200 fps. It does not mention barrel length or whether it's an actual gun or a test barrel.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...unition-9mm-luger-115-grain-full-metal-jacket

By contrast Blazer Brass runs about 1125 fps with the same weight bullet.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...unition-9mm-luger-115-grain-full-metal-jacket

The Freedom munitions 115 gr. 9mm load runs at 1120 fps.

https://www.freedommunitions.com/ammunition/pistol/9mm/9mm-115-gr-rn-new.html

The 1125 fps is considered about standard for the 9mm in the U.S. while 1200 fps of the Fiocchi is a touch hotter it's within spec. Again, whether it's from an actual gun or a test barrel makes a difference.

tipoc

Maverick36

Vba,
I still have a case of S&B made by RUAG in Germany ( white box, government overrun)and have to agree. It may be a little hotter than regular S&B but it sure is dirtier.

rpenmanparker

When I have a question like this I usually look at the specs.

The specs show the Fiocchi 115 gr. ammo as running at about 1200 fps. It does not mention barrel length or whether it's an actual gun or a test barrel.

By contrast Blazer Brass runs about 1125 fps with the same weight bullet.

The Freedom munitions 115 gr. 9mm load runs at 1120 fps.

https://www.freedommunitions.com/ammunition/pistol/9mm/9mm-115-gr-rn-new.html

The 1125 fps is considered about standard for the 9mm in the U.S. while 1200 fps of the Fiocchi is a touch hotter it's within spec. Again, whether it's from an actual gun or a test barrel makes a difference.

tipoc
Remember I mentioned a lot of muzzle flash also. Is that normal? 4.25” barrel.

tipoc

Remember I mentioned a lot of muzzle flash also. Is that normal? 4.25” barrel.

Different loads and different powders produce different degrees of muzzle flash. It is normal. The more varying brands and types of ammo you shoot the more experience will show you that this is true.

Fiocchi is a large well known and trusted maker of ammo. There stuff is quality. I've shot a lot of it. In 115 gr. and their other offerings.

tipoc

sigarms228

According to the S&B website they test ballistics in 6 inch barrel and Fiocchi probably does too. USA manufacturers such as Federal and Speer show they test with 4 inch barrel.

I have shot quite a bit S&B in the past and like it. IMO the Speer Lawman 115GR is the hottest 115GR range ammo I have ever tried. These days with ammo readily available my personal favorite 9MM range ammo is Federal American Eagle 124 and 147 with Speer Lawman a close second. I like PMC 115 too but it is a tad on the softer side.

TunnelRat

Subjectively I find S&B has more recoil than Speer Lawman. I like shooting Lawman and American Eagle (I find AE shoots cleaner but I get better groups with Lawman). S&B at hundreds of rounds at a time starts to wear on me faster.

I like a lot of the European brands because of the more compact packaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I took my New Nano along with my LC9S to the range today. I had previously been shooting my Nano at over 600 rounds through the gun in the past few weeks. Trying to get use to it, after shooting thousands of rounds through the LC9S. (Owned since it first came out)
Today I took 6 mags for the nano and 6 for the LC9s. I put both guns on the table and rapidly picked up one gun, then the other. The Nano has less recoil than the LC9S and less muzzle flip. I had not shot the LC9S much since buying the Nano, but I am usually a good shot with it. However, my first shots with the Ruger were HIGH. Great 2" group but high. The Nano was center. I have become use to it, so that helped.

The last 100 rounds were with Fiocchi 124gr. I love this ammo. Yes, it is hotter. And I could feel it with both guns. However, a Big difference in the LC9S. I could really feel a more pronounce recoil. The difference was significant especially when shooting two similar guns.
Not brutally harsh, but still significant.
Both guns are great guns. However, for CCW, I will start carrying the Nano.

slabside 1911

It’s absolutely hotter. I use it in my full auto UZI because the bolt is so heavy to cycle and it works great love the stuff.

Fishbed77

I like a lot of the European brands because of the more compact packaging.

Agreed. Whenever I see Fiocchi or Geco range ammo for similar prices to other inexpensive range ammo, I always pick it up.

The boxes are easier to pack into range bags and are just less wasteful in general. Federal, Winchester, CCI, and others could learn a few lessons from the Euro manufacturers.

rpenmanparker

Sometimes appearances can be deceiving. It would be interested to weigh the carton and plastic bullet rack of the Fiocchi against some other brands to see if the actual material usage is different and in which direction. Of course the size difference is real. There is no doubt about that. But weight due to the wall thickness of the cardboard and the plastic in the Fiocchi could conceivable be higher than in another brand that looks bigger. Not saying it is, just could be.