Hornady LeverEvolution

JohnKSa

Administrator
As for better powders - bah, I don't believe it. If they had the extra great powders, which they do, they would use them in other rounds, which they do, and did previously to these rounds.
I can't quite follow this--it sounds like you're saying that you don't believe they have "extra great powders" and at the same time saying that they do. You're right the second time--they do have "extra great powders" and they have used them in other rounds--Hornady calls it their "Light Magnum" line of ammunition.

If you look at the velocity specs on the 35Remington Leverevolution and compare it to other factory rounds in this caliber, it's apparent Hornady is getting a good bit of extra velocity from somewhere...around 200fps according to my "research".

The benefit to the 30-30 isn't as great, but it's a 160 gr bullet clocking faster at the muzzle than most factory 150grain 30-30 ammunition.

The combination of increased muzzle velocity and better BC will translate to a good bit better performance downrange. Is it as good as Hornady claims? I dont' know--I haven't bought any. ;)

FirstFreedom

Yeah, after I wrote that, I thought it might cause some confusion; didn't really make sense......what I meant it, that yes, they most certainly DO have great powders which reloaders don't have, but I believe that that had already been using it in all of their rounds, to get the best possible vels one can get, within saami pressures, and so what I meant was, the leverevolution ammo is no different in that respect - it is going to be very efficient, but no more so than other ammo from them, including the previous ammo in .30-30, .444, and .45-70. The light mags just push the pressure limits with those same great powders; hence the warning bolt action only. Anyway, good idea, but not a *major* improvement over the old - not enough to convince me to change anything that I use.

As far as the extra vel you mention, I believe that it's not *really* there - it's a combination of flat out exxageration (falsehood), mixed with quoting vels from really long test barrels, mixed with rounding up, mixed with test firing in 95 deg heat, mixed with (you get the picture). But just my opinion.

DPris

Member Emeritus
My sample XLR:
CorBon BCA 350 1934 FPS
CorBon DPX 300 1999 FPS
Hornady 325 1884 FPS
Winchester 300 Super-X 1683 FPS
Garrett 420 1892 FPS

Average of 5 shots each load, ten feet from muzzle.
Hornady says they got higher in a Marlin XLR, same barrel length, not a test barrel. Neither they nor me could explain the difference, beyond elevation, temp & humidity as factors.

Denis

jbadams66

FirstFreedom

I suggest that you actually try something before you make assumptions like that. My guess is that you havent shot any of the new ammo over a chronograph but you are sure that the velocity info provided by Hornady is exagerated. You are correct that in the .444 hornady used the same powder as the light mag due to identical velocity for the same bullet weight. Now the .35 rem and .30-30 it doesnt hold true.

I have put the .35 rem ammo over a chrono and it shoots about 150fps higher then other factory ammo. Hornady advertises about 2200 fps from a 24" barrel so a drop of 50fps for a 20" is about right. Just try them before you say that the performance increase isnt there.

Also the 444 light mag was designed specifically for leveraction rifles. If you check the website you will see that it says "Not for use in semi-automatic or gas operated firearms"

Last edited: