Hornady has discontinued .17WSM

JohnKSa

Administrator
You are right. Guess who really jumped the track! :D

I was thinking WSSM--which really doesn't make sense either since there is no .17WSSM.

I also bought a 17 HMR when it came out... and I sold it as fast as I could when the WSM was released.

I've got the Savage B-Mag in heavy barrel, stainless... and I LOVE THE GUN!!! I also have a couple grand rounds of Winchester Ammo and am set. With a great shooter, the gun will stack the 25gr rounds, one on top of the other... over and over and over again. Of course the Boyd's stock makes the gun even better.

I will have it forever, don't care what Hornady does.

LASER MAN

17 wsm accuracy

I too am concerned about the future of the 17 wsm. I've gone through 4 guns thus far, and have had great success with each. Started with a Bmag, then Ruger, followed by a Franklin Arms and now a Volquartsen. It didn't make a difference which ammo I used, they all shot about 1" at 100 meters. For the past several years I have shot about 2000 prairie dogs each summer. The 17 wsm does a great job on this type of target. I have taken shots at 300 yards with a fair amount of success. I settled on the Volquartsen because of the follow up shots, which are frequent when prairie doggin'. For those of you who haven't had much success with the caliber, I can't imagine what issues you're running into. My only concern right now is ammo going to be available sometime soon. I still have around 3000 rounds of mixed ammo. Again, it doesn't make a difference which load I shoot, the gun provides 1" groups at 100 meters. Let me know if there is ammo out there. I also use this gun for coyote hunting.

44 AMP

Staff
My bad, bringing up the rimfire thing, sorry.

However, I think my point about proprietary, and "niche" rounds is still valid.

When sales drop enough, things get discontinued, and if there's no simple way to make the ammo from some other case, you're stuck.

Pumpkin

There are quite a lot of vendors with it on Ammoseek, at the moment just in the 15gr loading. Most expensive vendor is under $30.00 and several are close to $20.00 a box. Hornady 17 WSM was made for them by Winchester so no great loss.