Honing the neck of a full length sizing die

Clark

Bart, I always thought that the firing pin pushes the case so hard that the bottle necked case shoulder fits in the chamber shoulder taper like a Morse taper. I was assuming that the firing pin force into the taper will not be affected by the less extractor tipping force at the rear.

The article I referenced above show that the chamber straightens out very bent 30 cal ammo so that the worst ammo all get the same 2" group.
See if I can find that.

These deviations become proportion-
ately less as the tilt is reduced. Tilts
over .O04" do not seem to increase the
dispersion of the group beyond the ex-
pected one minute. Perhaps this is
because a well-fitting chamber has a
tendency to straighten any rounds
which are excessively tilted. Other ex-
planations are possible.

I will pm the whole thing in two messages [over 6,000 characters]

Anyway, I am honing out a die right now.

Clark

I worked on a couple dies today.
I hacked off the top of a Lee 25-20 sizer die and bored out the neck from 0.266" to .303".
I wanted to neck down 32-20 brass to 25-20 in steps of less than 10%.
That did not work well as the pressure relief hole Lee drilled at the shoulder leaves a scar on the necked down brass.

So then I sawed off a chunk a 7/8-14 threaded rod and made a neck die with a .313" neck.
That is working well as a first step on necking 30-30 down to 25-35 and 32-20 down to 25-20.

Attachments

• Cut the top off a Lee 25-20 sizer die and bored out the neck from 0.276 in to .303 in 7-4-2014.jpg
    Cut the top off a Lee 25-20 sizer die and bored out the neck from 0.276 in to .303 in 7-4-2014.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Homemade neck die 0.312 in  b 7-4-2014.jpg
    Homemade neck die 0.312 in b 7-4-2014.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Homemade neck die 0.312 in 7-4-2014.jpg
    Homemade neck die 0.312 in 7-4-2014.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 42

jepp2

I finished honing out the die neck. I am very please with the results.

Starting neck ID on the die was .237". I needed the ID to be .245" to avoid using the expander and have the neck tension I wanted. So I needed to remove 0.008" which is a LOT given my limited tools.

It took several hours. I wasn't at all impressed with the flex hones I used. They seemed to be designed more as "glaze breakers" and lost their abrasive very quickly.

I checked many of the sized cases for neck T.I.R. and all were well less than 0.001".

Clark

That was just the neck die. The necks are only supposed to change 10% per step per some wildcat club.

I have made some more dies and honed out some Lee sizer dies and one RCBS die today.

I combined some of the things from various above posts.

I sawed a slit in the dowel with a hand held jig saw. It has the narrowest blade.
I cut the emery cloth not square, but so the wrap diameter got bigger then further I pushed it in.
I wrapped 80 grit emery cloth from the slit.
I put the die in the lathe chuck.
I put a pin gauge in the die.
I dialed in the lathe chuck until the test indicator on the pin gauge runs true.
I put the other end of the dowel in the hand drill.

So I have been converting 100 rounds of 32-20 brass to 25-20, 100 rounds of 30-30 brass to 25-35, and 3 rounds 303 Brit brass to 25 Krag Ackley.

I like the drill chuck grabbing the dowel. I really hated the dowel spinning in my fingers when I lost control.