Home surveillance and security

Yankee Doodle

I don't mean this to be a joke. I settled for a 95 lb. Akita with an attitude.
Barks loud enough to wake the dead. (except for the poor SOB that breaks in)
Fall back system is a monitored alarm.

Garycw

Yankee I've got a 10lb Maltese with a attitude that also runs survailence very well too. I also had a car stolen from my fenced front yard with tow truck which was guarded by a 110lb German Shepard. While I was sleeping

sliverslinger

A lot of good fuel for thought..right now I just have motion sensors that trigger lights and an alarm in the house....and a pair of service shepherds for backup. My house sits up on a hill in the woods so I have a pretty good vantage point. (In the winter) Maybe I can get some help from the techs.down at the agency to help me out with some sort of high end encryption...man ...smart phones are still gonna be the vulnerability :(

Yankee Doodle

Gary
To be totally honest, I really don't give too much of a damn if something is stolen from outside my home. That's what homeowners insurance is for. What I concern myself with, is the possibility of some dirtbag getting into the house. Should this happen, he will be in a fight for his life againt a highly trained Akita. That should keep him busy until the law arrives. Average response time around here is less than 10 minutes. They will need an EMS unit with them.
If I, or a family member is at home, the mutt may prove to be the least of his troubles. I have absolutely no desire to have to resort to deadly force, but if it's my family or you, it's you.
I have not had a problem as yet, but being paranoid does not mean that they are not out to get you.

Last edited:

Aer656y9

Although web based security systems are not as "secure" as CC systems, the whole purpose behind it is so that the scumbags cannot destroy your equipment. There have been lots of cases where the ****heads get in and realize you have a system in place, they track down all the wires and smash the system to pieces. If you are not backing the video up to something outside of the CC system, then it is lost forever. Even if you back it up to some kind of harddrive, there is still a very good chance they will find it and break it. What usually happens is the perps break in and start doing **** before they realize you have a security system. That is when they are pretty much forced to find all the components and trash your system.

My system uploads the data to an online file storage site. This way, they can destroy my entire system, but I will still have footage of them. So long as they are not wearing masks or something, I will have pretty clear pictures of them. Not to mention, I have a camera right at the receiver, so when they track down the box to destroy it, they have no choice but to look right at the camera.

I have a similar system from costco as well. It is a very good system for the price. I have cameras inside and outside. In total I have about 16 cameras setup. I have found that security systems like ADT do very little to help you out. They might serve as a deterrent but nowadays, there are so many ways past it that good crooks are not bothered by them anymore. Cameras will at least help me identify possible culprits.