Home Owner Shot By Police, McKinney ,Texas

This is one of those tragic stories where the wrong person got hurt due to an "accidental" discharge. Surprisingly, the local TV media has not painted this situation too badly, seeming to present information in a fair manner. Strangely, this article seems to express more concern about the officer's distress than the family's.

http://www.dallasnews.com/metro/stories/386454_1Apoliceshoot_.html

Police officer kills homeowner
Burglar alarm call ends in shooting in McKinney

06/06/2001

By Ian McCann / The Dallas Morning News

Related video • TXCN coverage (Requires free RealPlayer)

McKINNEY – A 31-year-old woman was fatally shot in her home Tuesday afternoon by a police officer responding to a burglar alarm.

The officer, whom police did not identify, was investigating the alarm in the 1800 block of Meadow Ranch Road shortly before 1:30 p.m. when she saw a rear patio door ajar, said McKinney police Capt. Robert Dean.

"She called for backup and tried to enter the door," Capt. Dean said. He said the officer told investigators that the door was pushed forcefully back toward her as she tried to move through it.

"The door came back at her," Capt. Dean said, "and the gun discharged."

The bullet went through the door and struck Cathey Howard-Kalimah, who was inside the house. The bullet entered just above the deadbolt on the frame of the door and struck Ms. Howard-Kalimah in the upper chest, police said.

The shooting was the first fatal shooting involving a McKinney police officer since 1993.

"The whole thing was a tragedy for everyone," said Police Chief Doug Kowalski. "Our hearts go out to the family. Her children lost a mother, and her husband lost a wife."

Chief Kowalski added: "The officer is really hurting right now. She was upset, stressed, emotionally distraught."

He said he didn't know how the back patio door was opened but added there didn't appear to be any forced entry at the home.

Police said the officer, who has been with the department for 31/2 years, has been placed on administrative leave, which is routine in such cases. Police said that the incident will be investigated and that the officer will talk to a psychologist provided by the department.

Attorney Dick Sayles, who was retained by Ms. Howard-Kalimah's family after the shooting, said he plans to do his own investigation.

"I hope and I expect that there will be a sharing of information with the police," he said. "We haven't had an opportunity to do our own investigation. Upon the investigation, we hope that whatever is appropriate and right will be done."

Mr. Sayles said funeral arrangements are being made for Ms. Howard-Kalimah but have not been finalized.

McKinney police Chaplain Rickey Hargrave said he talked to the woman's father, who lives in North Carolina. He said he also spoke with other family members in McKinney and the officer. Ms. Howard-Kalimah had two children, ages 13 and 4.

Police said the alarm in the family's home went off about 1:23 p.m. The security company then called McKinney police and Ms. Howard-Kalimah's husband, Jeemil, who works as an insurance underwriter in Plano.

Mr. Kalimah called his wife, who worked in McKinney at the North Texas Job Corps about a mile from their home, to go home and check on the alarm.

Police said that Ms. Howard-Kalimah was the only person in the home at the time of the shooting. Capt. Dean said he was unsure what set off the alarm.

"It appears that wind could have tripped it," he said. "It could've blown open the door."

Paramedics arrived shortly after the shooting, but they could not revive Ms. Howard-Kalimah. She was pronounced dead at the scene and was taken to the Collin County medical examiner's office, where relatives identified her body, authorities said.

A neighbor who asked not to be identified said that Ms. Howard-Kalimah lived in the newly built home, off U.S. Highway 380 in northern McKinney, with her husband and two children. A small plastic slide for young children sat behind the home Tuesday afternoon.

Another neighbor said the family moved in two to three months ago. The neighbor said that the Ms. Howard-Kalimah and her husband were fluent in French.

Capt. Dean said the McKinney Police Department and Collin County sheriff's deputies are investigating the shooting and will deliver their findings to a Collin County grand jury.

Tuesday's shooting apparently was the first by a McKinney police officer since March 1995, when McKinney police shot and wounded a man who pointed a rifle at officers after four hours of negotiations.

In May 1993, McKinney Officer Bruce Keffer and Allen Officer Scott White fatally shot a man who opened fire on them during a routine traffic stop in McKinney. In April 1985, McKinney Officer Don Baker fatally shot a man who shot and wounded a fellow officer. Grand jurors declined to indict the officers in each of those cases.

She was scared and pulled the trigger having no idea what her target was. She had her finger firmly on the trigger when it shouldn't have been. This ought to at least cost the city a good deal of money and the lady her job.

TAZ

Sounds like a clear violation of the 4 rules. Didnt know target or what was behind it and had finger on the trigger for no reason. The gun didnt just go off by itself, most likely anyway. Sad, truly sad.

Dead

Wonder where this will go?? Need more details, did she ID herself before trying to enter?? If not she should be in DEEEEEEp doo doo! (and even if she did she is still in doo doo.)

Ragin Cajun

Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

All four were broken.

Need more be said ???

CastleBravo

Although it sometimes seems suspiciously liberal to those of us in Texas, the Dallas Morning News is pretty balanced and reasonable compared to the rest of the world. :D

[And I'm a displaced New England Yankee so I know the difference! :p ]

Quartus

"She called for backup and tried to enter the door," [/b]

Shouldn't she have waited for backup to arrive? Why call backup and then go in alone? Well, maybe to 'prove' to all those male cops that you aren't afraid.

I watched the local PD enter two homes under similar circumstances. Weapon pointed skyward, finger OUT of trigger guard, side of foot pushing door open, standing to one side, AND announcing themselves.

No ADs gonna happen that way.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
The officer screwed the pooch pure and simple! There is no way that slamming a door on her hand could have caused the discharge unless the safety was off if it was an auto, or the hammer cocked if it were a revolver, AND her finger was on the trigger. If this was the case it was an accidental (read that as a stupid) discharge or she fired in fear which means that she was not cut out for the LEO job in the first place. I hate to say it, but if I were the family one hellofa a hotshot lawyer would already be filing suit, against both the officer personally, and the force.

Long Path

RaginCajin-- I'll give you that the last 3 were broken, but I'll just bet that she knew and believed Rule One. But your point is well made. Had the other Rules been followed, that homeowner would be alive today.

Strange note-- I live about 35 miles from McKinney, and NEVER go there. (McKinney is one of those places you don't pass through-- if you go there, you pretty much meant to get there...) I was actually about a mile away from the shooting when it occurred, just finishing up a Range Safety Officer class that they were holding at the indoor range at Collin County Community College Law Enforcement Academy. (BTW, they have a superior indoor pistol range!)

Of the issue of technique for answering alam calls-- yes, an officer should call for backup when it is available and an open door is found. Yes, the officer should wait for backup to arrive, unless exigent circumstances arise. BUT-- (there's always a but, isn't there?) alarms don't necessarily require backup to answer. In fact, the large majority of the time, they get answered by a single officer. Why? Because the VAST majority of alarms are false/mechanical or false/human error. 2+ officers to answer each of these false alarms becomes a huge hit to the manpower of the department when, in reality, the average cop can handle it, even if there does turn out to be something to the alarm.

Regarding guns pointed at the sky-- I'm not real happy with that. I firmly believe that you should enter an alarm call with your firearm out, and if there was a door open, as it this case, the pistol does no good pointed skyward. I can hear the cries now: "But Long Path, you just said that the vast majority of alarms are false! Why are you pointing the gun outward and possibly endangering others?!?" I don't. For house-clearing around doors and corners, I'm a big believer in holding the pistol in the low-ready, or "hip-rock" position. Pistol in hand, finger off the trigger, muzzle pointed downward to a spot a few feet before me, in line with my body, pistol-side wrist anchored to my torso, keeping the gun close to the body. It's fast, it's safe, and it keeps the pistol close-in, in case of a close-quarters physical encounter.

I have since heard that Ms. Howard-Kalimah had been called home to respond to the alarm. If so, she certainly put herself in a terribly dangerous position. But this does not mitigate the horrible mistake of the officer. I agree with Double Naught: Startle reflex was almost certainly the cause.

I feel for the officer and for McKinney P.D., but not nearly as much as does my heart go out to the family of Ms. Howard-Kalimah.

L.P.

Here is a biarre twist to the story. It seems the victim taught security...

http://www.msnbc.com/local/kxas/nbch7a70nnc.asp

Friends, neighbors baffled by death of woman shot when police officer's gun discharged

AP

McKINNEY, Texas, June 6 - Cathey Howard-Kalimah knew all about security. She taught it to aspiring security guards and police academy students at the North Texas Job Corps branch in this north Texas town.

That's why friends and neighbors remained baffled Wednesday as to how the 31-year-old mother of two could have been shot to death in her home Tuesday afternoon by a police officer's gun that police said accidentally discharged during a burglary investigation.

Friend and former colleague Rakelle Sanford said Howard-Kalimah would have known to be cautious when she came home Tuesday to check on a burglar alarm that had started going off that afternoon.

Sanford said she blames the police for what happened. "They definitely messed up," said Sanford, 26, who was at the family's home to drop off a card and flowers. "Cathey knew the security trade. She teaches it."

Police Chief Doug Kowalski said at a news conference Wednesday that the department is investigating the incident and will get assistance from the Plano Police Department, Collin County Sheriff's Office and the Collin County Medical Examiner's Office. The case will be presented to a Collin County grand jury for review.

"This is going to be a fair, thorough, objective investigation. There is nothing to hide here," Kowalski said. He has refused to release the name of the officer, other than to say she has been on the force more than three years.

The shooting occurred after the officer walked around the outside of the house and saw the back door slightly open. As the officer attempted to go inside, the door apparently popped open, hit the officer's department-issued .40-caliber Glock handgun and caused it to fire, police said.

A single bullet went through the door, striking Howard-Kalimah in the chest. She died at the scene.

"It is a great tragedy. Words just fail us," Kowalski said.

The officer has been placed on administrative leave. The officer has received two letters of commendation, but also two letters of reprimand for two traffic accidents where she was at fault her patrol car, Kowalski said.

Friends and neighbors said they were skeptical about the police's handling of the situation.

"A police officer was involved in the shooting and police officers are investigating it," Sanford said. "Hopefully, the truth will come out."

The sparse, quiet neighborhood with one bumpy road cutting through seems an unlikely site for a shooting.

"Nobody comes down our little street," said Anna Means, 39, who lives across the street Howard-Kalimah's family.

That all changed Tuesday when Means said she saw the first police car arrive on the scene. Means said she didn't hear the gunshot but within 10 minutes, the street was packed with police cars, ambulances and helicopters.

When she tried to find out what happened, Means said an officer yelled at her to "Get back in the house." She said police told neighbors there had been a burglary.

"I know she's made peace," Sanford said of her deceased friend, a charismatic leader whom she called a mentor. "I hope she didn't realize what happened, that she went fast."

The jazz lover and caring mother from North Carolina married her high school sweetheart, Jeemil, Sanford said, before moving to Texas two years ago. Their children are ages 13 and 4.

"I don't go to funerals," Sanford said. "But I feel like I need to attend hers because she enriched my life." The funeral will be in North Carolina.

Howard-Kalimah's family has retained a lawyer, who said he also plans to investigate the shooting.

"I hope and I expect that there will be a sharing of information with the police," attorney Dick Sayles said. "We haven't had an opportunity to do our own investigation. Upon the investigation, we hope that whatever is appropriate and right will be done."

beemerb

I hope that if I ever get involved in a shooting I can do my own investigation or a least get my 3 brothers a couple of other good friends to conduct it.
This is one of my big compaints about PD's and our own goverment.How can people investigate their own and arrive at a objective conclusion?

mrat

Beemerb,
Who would you like to investigate the cops then? Maybe supermarket checkers.

Charmedlyfe,
My thoughts exactly.

P

PreserveFreedom

I am sick and tired of cops killing innocent people and getting off with administrative leave and usually,at worst, losing their job. If this had been a concerned neighbor or family member, they would be in a cell right now with an unbelievably high bond set waiting to be tried for manslaughter or murder. Why isn't this officer doing the same?

Weimadog

>Charmedlyfe wrote:
>Keyboard Commandos strike again......

Well, this is a much better and more safe use of our time than shooting at some threat that is only in our imagination.

Police officer shoots door = Police officer is a dingbat. It's that simple.

My sympathy to the family of the woman who was killed.

Weimadog

WYO

"He said the officer told investigators that the door was pushed forcefully back toward her as she tried to move through it."

Let's see. The officer is dispatched to an alarm call. There is an open door, which is potentially consistent with a criminal being inside. Then the door is pushed forcefully back, which is consistent with a bad guy being behind it. Assuming the veracity of all that, I can sure envision a startle response, or a reflexive grasp sufficient to fire the firearm even if the finger is off the trigger. Having personally performed solo building searches (no backup available) when the homeowner comes home, ignores the police car outside, and personally comes in to investigate while the search is underway, I can sure empathize with what happened during that split second. (And I also have sympathy for the deceased and her family.)

As far as who should investigate, I certainly would expect that it be conducted by people who solve these tactical problems on a daily basis, and whose job it is to analyze evidence for facts indicative of truth. I don't want my fate decided by mere public opinion, and that's not the legal test anyway.

Preserve Freedom--I agree that there should not be a double standard. The rules should be applied consistently. But you don't right a wrong by perpetuating another one. (And in many places, the concerned neighbor/family member would not be treated differently than the officer.)

keyboard commando strikes again

The female officer pulled the trigger, or it was one hell of a firearm malfunction.

Which is more likely? If she pulled the trigger, should she remain a police officer?