Home invaders pick wrong house

Limeyfellow

Personally, I'd go for something packing .223, 9mm, .45acp, or 00 buckshot. Those first three choices would really help for follow-up shots as well. I'm going to assume that this guy knows his guns and has the 4 basic rules tattooed inside his skull (emphasis on rule #4); the AK-47 was probably the nearest, most accessible weapon at the moment.

Imagine a few rounds of 7.62X39 going off inside an enclosed room: sound + recoil + flash. I've never had the opportunity or necessity, but I imagine it's super disorienting for both the attackers and the intended victims. I'm sure 12ga. is just as bad, if not worse, though.

The 9mm and .45acp are actually the loudest of the ones you talked about due to the much shorter barrels.

Nist surprisingly the 7.62x39 is the quietest you listed with .223 just behind it and the shotgun being higher than both.

The same with recoil the 7.62x39 and .223 have the lowest recoil depending on what you are firing from, especially if you have the likes of an 18-20 inch barrel stuck on. Muzzle flash is pretty equal amongst them all.

For self defense between my wife and I, we have at hand a Mossberg 590, Browning Highpower, a 1911a1 and a Yugo ak. All have their purposes.