Home defense shotguns

Ridgerunner665

Found some shells to try...Remington Express XLR, 1.25 ounces of #2 lead shot (108 pellets), at an advertised 1,330 fps... it is a 2.75 inch shell, not even a magnum 2.75", but close (3.75 dram eq.)

Gonna rig up a test with some old hunting clothes....see if this stuff will do its thing through heavy clothes.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Ridgerunner665

Measured some shot charges...

The #2 birdshot rounds are labeled as 1 1/4 ounce loads... actual weight is 1 5/16 oz...105 pellets... there is some variation in the pellet size, most are .155", some are .143" (that is closer to #3 shot).

The #1 buckshot rounds, Winchester Super X, have 16 pellets in them... that also weighs 1 5/16 oz... those pellets measure .285".

jmr40

it seems to me shotguns have been doing a fine job of home defense for a century or so...

Much of the shotgun's appeal was simply the intimidation factor. Especially prior to around WW-2. A shotgun could easily be effective by someone with little experience and even a couple of bird shot pellets could kill someone.

Not outright mind you. But with the medical care years ago what would be a minor wound today could easily get infected and lead to a long, slow, painful death days, or even weeks later.

No one wanted to die that way and the presence of a shotgun, even in the hands of an inexperienced shooter would diffuse a lot of disagreements.

We had female shooters in tears and leaving the firing line when attempting to qualify with the shotgun. Recoil was just too much for them

Typical 12 and even 20 ga buckshot loads are comparable to 300 WM recoil. Almost no one would recommend 300 WM for a novice hunter, but shotguns are often recommended for inexperienced shooters. Just something to think about.

A shotgun is definitely part of my HD toolbox. But INSIDE my home I still much prefer a handgun. There is no place in my home where a shot over 10-15' is possible. It doesn't take an accurate handgun to do that and I want to have one hand free.

Any long gun is more cumbersome than I want INSIDE, and a shotgun pattern is so tight at those ranges that a carbine would be just as effective. With less recoil. I wouldn't reach for it 1st, but indoors I'd just as soon reach for an AR carbine as a shotgun.

But if the action is OUTDOORS a shotgun with buckshot is the best tool for the job. The range is limited, but I could be effective from my home to my property line in any direction.

Siggy-06

I have a couple HD shotguns: Remington 870, Mossberg 590a1, and a Benelli M2 Tactical. However, the first thing I grab for “bump in the night” is my Beretta 92. Shooting shotguns and rifles indoors, especially 12x12 rooms or hallways really sucks. Pistols aren’t much better, but I think I have a better chance not becoming deaf from my 9mm as opposed to a 12 gauge or 5.56. I mentioned it earlier, but keep earplugs with your HD guns, even if suppressed. They make electronic earbuds that only block out the louder gunshot noise, but not ambient noise or voices.

Ridgerunner665

In case you're ever attacked in your home by pizza boxes wearing kids coveralls.... this info could safe your life [emoji1787]

Shot from 15 paces, likely about 15 meters, 12 gauge Remington XLR 1 1/4 oz. #2 lead bird shot round...advertised at 1,330 fps on the box, does 1,255 fps from my 18.5 inch Mossberg 590.

The shot went through the coveralls, 5 pizza boxes, plus the box holding the pizza boxes...12 layers of cardboard... not 1 single pellet stayed in the boxes, every one that entered, also exited the back. 

The round does have some recoil, but its not terrible.

kymasabe

My go-to shotgun is my Mossberg 500. I've been shooting pump guns for over 40 years so I'm not worried about its operation when under stress.
It's wearing Magpul furniture and is in cruiser ready mode. 18 inch security barrel on it, 24 inch slug barrel and 28 inch vent rib barrel in the safe. Works flawlessly, paid $200 at a pawnshop (20 years ago), and $50 each for the other two barrels. Loaded with OO buck.
What can I say, I'm old school.

USMCGrunt

True, ARs do offer faster follow-up shots. However, I never heard of a properly loaded shotgun needing a follow-up shot! I live alone out on a farm and keep an assortment of firearms in easy reach but the Benelli M2 loaded with 00 buck is what I prefer.

MarkCO

True, ARs do offer faster follow-up shots. However, I never heard of a properly loaded shotgun needing a follow-up shot! I live alone out on a farm and keep an assortment of firearms in easy reach but the Benelli M2 loaded with 00 buck is what I prefer.

In the last 15 years, every case I have worked on with someone shot with buckshot, non-fatal. The Aurora theater shooting, 6 rounds of 00 buckshot, all survived and all but one were ambulatory after being hit.

jrothWA

Other than price. how about the M1 Carbine?

With a butt-stock pouch you have two magazine available and a third loose one.

Consider using the soft-nose ammo top=grade the ammo.

Recoil is minimal.

44 AMP

Staff
I suppose high capacity and onboard ammo resupply is comforting, but I can't help thinking that any credible home defense issue will be solved one way or another before you need to reload an M1 carbine.

ok, its your house and if you want to shoot it full of holes, that's your business, but I have to wonder if 3 15rnd (30???) magazines isn't a bit much for the stated "home defense" purpose, unless you're defending your home from an infantry assault. (if I were, then by choice, I'd say "bring on the belt feed, baby!" And have my personal arm(s) as well. ;)

Our current "great" Pres said all you need is a double barrel, shoot it in the air and the cops will come! And he also said it was ok the shoot though a door....
I'd guess his personal situation is a bit different from yours or mine.....:rolleyes:

stinkeypete

I think there must be different definitions of "home defense shotgun"
1. Inside the house or apartment.
2. Ranch gun- includes coyotes or trash pandas after the chickens
3. Swat team door busting hostage rescue

I use even less home defense shotgun than our President and First Lady. I use a Labrador. I believe they use a German Shepherd. The most valuable thing someone could steal from my house is one of the shotguns, hence they are in the gun safe.

I was raised that you keep your guns locked up in case some fool comes around and breaks in and steals a gun.. now you have a fool with a gun and he might hurt himself or others and that would be on me. But you do you.

FITASC

Shotguns are just fine, even for small female shooters - the keys are FIT and a proper payload that they can handle and still do the job. Not every scenario needs 00 buck running 1500fps, a payload of large birdshot (like #2) running 1200 fps WILL hurt, WILL penetrate and will either kill or incapacitate

Ridgerunner665

Shotguns are just fine, even for small female shooters - the keys are FIT and a proper payload that they can handle and still do the job. Not every scenario needs 00 buck running 1500fps, a payload of large birdshot (like #2) running 1200 fps WILL hurt, WILL penetrate and will either kill or incapacitate
I tested Remington XLR #2 lead loads last week... they run 1,255 fps out of my 18.5 cylinder bore barrel... not excessive recoil, about normal field load recoil for a 12 gauge (1 1/4 oz load).

amd6547

As for the M1 Carbine, I’m a fan of the gun, and the cartridge. While I have put a period pouch on my CMP Inland, it changes the handling of the gun. One of the beauties of the Carbine is its light weight, and sport rifle handling. I’ve retired the Inland, and replaced it in the HD role with an Auto Ordnance commercial gun.
But the shotgun is what is kept handy. A Mossberg 500 “Revelation” (made for Western Auto), which I paid $75 for 20 years ago. It now wears Magpul furniture and a 20” barrel with long mag tube, all found cheap, on sale separately. I can put it back to 5-shot, 18” whenever I want.
It’s loaded with Federal FC low recoil #1 Buck. Honestly, I like #4 a lot too, and have a bunch of that and 00.

L-2

https://www.mossberg.com/590-spx-50696.html
I had to look up what a 590 SPX is.
It appears to be a nice shotgun.

I do wonder how difficult it'd be to remove the SPX mount to use with Mossberg or aftermarket stocks with the "regular" mounting set-up. Otherwise, I've been very happy with my older 18.5" barreled 590A1 with ghost ring sights. I would like a 14" "sbs" version someday, but not a priority right now.

badge851

Age and type of home is a factor...

I will be 73 in a couple of months and my wife will turn 74 in a month. I've had both knees and both shoulders replaced. Both my wife & I have injuries and arthritis. We live in a condo and the longest possible shot distance is 12yds. We both can no longer handle the harsh recoil of a 12 ga; so...

We defend our condo with two 20ga shotguns loaded with buckshot. For me it is a Mossberg® Mdl 500C with an 18½" Cyl Bore barrel, loaded with Aguila® 2¾" 15 pellets of #2 Buckshot kept loaded and cruiser ready. My wife has a 20ga Remington® Mdl 207 Spartan™ SxS. In actuality, it is a Bakail® IZH-43. Her gun is loaded with Remington® 2¾" 20 pellets of #3 Buckshot.

We are well-defended in our home and our 20ga's will do the job.

YMMVH.

Ridgerunner665

https://www.mossberg.com/590-spx-50696.html
I had to look up what a 590 SPX is.
It appears to be a nice shotgun.

I do wonder how difficult it'd be to remove the SPX mount to use with Mossberg or aftermarket stocks with the "regular" mounting set-up. Otherwise, I've been very happy with my older 18.5" barreled 590A1 with ghost ring sights. I would like a 14" "sbs" version someday, but not a priority right now.
Not hard at all....I've already done it, and installed a Magpul SGA.

Drive out a roll pin and remove the bolt holding it to the receiver...3 minute job.

I didn't like the stock from the start, but I do like that fiber optic front sight, and it only comes on the SPX.

Last edited: