home-defense bullets/rounds: pistol vs. rifle (vs. shotgun)

Glenn E. Meyer

Pistol grip with a stock shotguns - that's a different beast. Don't have one but in shotgun class, the instructor mentioned that intense practice with such is hard on the wrist - leads to problems.

I have a bad wrist to begin with, so I go along with that for moi.

hangglider

I'm no expert Glenn--but the ATI scorpion pistol grip and AR stock which I put on my 870 really DO reduce recoil impact significantly. I've pounded away with magnums and slugs and have been just fine--do that with just the wood stock and I'm cruisin for a bruisin.

Glenn E. Meyer

I haven't shot one of the recoil reducing stocks as compared to the solid pistol grip stocks. Been tempted. I'm interested. I was told (whatever), that the movement disrupts sight picture - what do you think?

The comment about wrists was the solid ones transmitting more recoil to the wrist.

C0untZer0

As far as the AR for HD, I still tend to think that putting fifteen to sixteen .30 caliber pellets 12 to 14 inches deep in an assailant with each pull of the trigger is going to be more effective than putting a single .223 caliber bullet into an assailant with each pull of the trigger.

B.N.Real

Home defense use of a high powered rifle in a urban area might guarantee you a charge of public endangerment even if you were in the right.

The risk of overpenetration and blatant shoot through are simply very high.

You would be better served by a shotgun or handgun in those cases where you live in an urban area.

In the rural areas,there can definetely be very good reasons to own and be very good with a high powered rifle such as a AR-15.

Living anywhere near the Mexican borders of Texas and New Mexico as well as any place an hour from any major city come to mind as places where a few Ar's and a collection of loaded mags at all times would be a wise investment to make.

It's not right that it's this way but these are the legal arguments you might face if you used a high powered rifle for home defense in an urban environment.

It could make the urban area's district attorney's decision to let you off with no charge undoable (versus the use of a shotgun or a rifle).

hangglider

@BN Real: Where I live it is well-known that 1) gangbangers hit homes in numbers; and 2) guns and assault rifles are out on the street and actively used. The Chattanooga PD recently up-armed to level the playing field by buying 30 AR's.

If a gang of potentially armed thugs break into my home and I probably have mere seconds to respond I'm grabbing the best weapon option available. I may be wrong, but given the widespread publicity of serious violent crime and murder in my area I doubt the use of an assault rifle in HD would be a liability compared to a ".40 or better" handgun (unless of course you take out innocent neighbors).

As the "box of truth tests" show, the issue of penetration versus defense effectiveness is a tricky one. My impression from these tests is that common large caliber handgun rounds and buckshot actually go through more secondary structures than a lower-power non-pointed 223 round which seems to lose it's velocity fairly quickly going through common home walls. My impression is that if I'm engaged in a firefight where the outcome is determined by how quickly I can get the most rounds off, whether or not I use an assault rifle is a question of semantics if the BG's are armed and in numbers. Either way, I'd rather be alive and take my chances in court than dead.

The gang activities and violent crimes are not hypothetical scenarios I've conjured up in my head to justify using this kind of weapon--it's a daily fact of life (and death) here. Chattanooga has a chronic epidemic of gangs and violent crime making it one of the most dangerous cities in America.

To steal a line from Tom Berringer: "what I know, is cause I live here."

Last edited:

littlmak

What about the use of frangible ammo in urban settings for SD/HD? It's my understanding many, if not most police depts. are using or are switching to this ammo to avoid collateral damage. I personally use hollow point ammo in .357/.45/.380 but am thinking very seriously of switching. If the worst happens I don't want to be responsible for complicating the life of the nice girl who lives across the hall.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
littlmak said:
What about the use of frangible ammo in urban settings for SD/HD? It's my understanding many, if not most police depts. are using or are switching to this ammo...
[1] Frangible ammunition has a poor reputation for penetration, and it's doubtful that it would deliver adequate terminal performance for general use in self defense.

[2] I have no reason to believe that any police departments are switching to frangible ammunition for general duty use (although they would probably be using it for some training applications). Do you have any evidence?

littlmak

Now that I think about it the source was probably a history channel program about new developments in ammo. Statements made on this program may or may not be true but they stuck in my mind.