Holy Moly... M1 Carbine!!

TBM900

Remember, as a replacement for the 1911, the M1 Carbine went primarily to the same types who would have rated a 1911 pistol (cooks, truck drivers, officers, NCOs, rear area types, etc) while the M1 rifle went to the infantrymen.

Sigh... :rolleyes:
Seriously folks, crack open the stacks of TO&E's from the period.
Not trying to be an arse but these myths just keep getting perpetuated as fact.

Kirrich

Similar to your M1, I carried an M2 (automatic) carbine during my hitch in the service. I had to qualify as expert every six months for four years with it, as well as my 1911. We were issued 30 rd. "banana clips" as they were erroneously called, in .30 cal. Strangely enough, I never fired all 30 rds. in auto mode. Great firearm. I know you will have fun with it!

TBM900

I would if I knew what that was. But, not being a mind reader...or could I have just posted: BNBAMR? :)

1- Open search engine of your choice
2- Type in TO&E
3- Press "enter"
4- :)

Table of organization and equipment quickly refute the usual myths about the M1 Carbine as well as countless other myths about weapons and equipment. Take for instance one of the most common ones about the Carbine and M1911's being issued to "cooks & typists". I've reviewed countless TO&E's spanning decades and I have yet to find a cook or typist issued an M1911, typically the were issued whatever the service rifle of the period was.

The reality of the Carbine and its intended use is found in all the Light Rifle program documents, from the start it was intended to be a...
Cue the drum roll...
Wait for it...
Here it comes...
A light rifle

The original concept was two fold, the first being to replace the heavy, bulky M1 for front line fighters who's primary duty was to deal with other heavy/bulky equipment, like say a machine gun crew. One TO&E shows a Rifle Companies LMG crew being issued 3 Carbines and 2 pistols. Another example is a Weapons Company HMG crew being issued 1 M1, 5 Carbines, and 2 pistols.

The second was to evaluate the concept of replacing the M1 with a... light rifle. Although the M1 was a fine and effective weapon, almost as soon as it was fielded on a "modern" battelfield it was thought to be outdated in practical use, and they were right. The light rifle concept and the M1 Carbine itself eventually lead to the M16, which then evolved into the M4. Light and fast is generally better on the battlefield, which is why the M1 Carbine was so loved during WWII by not only our guys but by our enemies as well.

Here are two random TO&E's from late WWII, note the cooks sporting M1 rifles, not Carbines

Screen-Shot-2021-01-10-at-7-51-46-AM.pngg

Screen-Shot-2021-01-09-at-8-38-07-PM.png

Last edited:

RickB

M2 mag catch.

The M2 mag catch was designed to stabilize the longer, 30rd magazine. It has a little extension that engages a small ledged punched into the 30rd mag tube that is not present on the 15rd mag.
Unless an M1 Carbine was taken out of service during WWII, never updated or rebuilt, it almost certainly has an M2 catch.

zeke

Out of the 3 mix masters owned (2 sold off), none came with the M2 mag catch. But 3 is hardly an adequate representation of the general M1 carbine population.

Last edited:

dahermit

The M2 mag catch was designed to stabilize the longer, 30rd magazine. It has a little extension that engages a small ledged punched into the 30rd mag tube that is not present on the 15rd mag.
Unless an M1 Carbine was taken out of service during WWII, never updated or rebuilt, it almost certainly has an M2 catch.
I have a 30-round Carbine magazine that has a little ledge "punched in the tube" of the magazine tube, one and one-half inch down from the top on the tube's left-hand side (as viewed from behind. Is that the extension you are referring to?

dahermit

These posts about M1 Carbines got me to wanting to examine my Carbine a little closer. I inserted an empty 30-round magazine in mine and opened the bolt. While the 30-round follower catches the bolt and holds it open, one still has to draw the bolt back and depress the hold-open pin on the operating handle to have the bolt remain open to receive another loaded magazine. A disadvantage over an AR15 wherein the bolt is held all the way to the rear, facilitating a fast reload.

Smoke & Recoil

No need to lock the bolt back with the "pin"...just drop the magazine and the bolt will go forward, then insert your next loaded magazine and cycle the bolt to chamber a round.

amd6547

My earlier production, six digit Inland from the CMP was rebuilt post war, and got the adjustable sight and bayonet lug.
It did not, however, get the M2 mag catch...I put that on myself.

TBM900

A disadvantage over an AR15 wherein the bolt is held all the way to the rear, facilitating a fast reload.

When was the last time an average individual actually needed the maybe one second it takes to simply cycle the bolt on a long gun in a self defense situation?
:confused:

dahermit

When was the last time an average individual actually needed the maybe one second it takes to simply cycle the bolt on a long gun in a self defense situation?
:confused:
That assumes that one is talking about the specific scenario of a self-defense situation that you have in your mind. The AR15 and Carbine I have in my possession are being held in my reserve relative to the Second Amendment and the likelihood of a possible insurrection (given the current unrest). Stay out of my fantasies and I will stay out of yours.

zeke

One of the biggest advantages of a bolt locking back is the clear signal you are out of rounds. On a AR-15, especially with a scope prone, it is a major pita (position adjustment) to use the rear cocking handle, as compared to bolt release.

dahermit

One of the biggest advantages of a bolt locking back is the clear signal you are out of rounds. On a AR-15, especially with a scope prone, it is a major pita (position adjustment) to use the rear cocking handle, as compared to bolt release.
Also, I would suppose that in the heat of battle, the bolt locking back was a better indicator of an empty magazine that just a click from an empty chamber. It has been reported that some civil war battlefield pick-ups had several charges, one atop of another, indicating that the fact the the weapon had not fired (and had not recoiled) was not enough to make the soldier realize that his weapon had not fired.

It is too bad that the M1 Carbine was not designed to lock the bolt all the way back on empty ...I think that in a "target rich" environment as were some of the battles in Korea, that such a feature would have been a welcomed improvement.

TBM900

That assumes that one is talking about the specific scenario of a self-defense situation that you have in your mind. The AR15 and Carbine I have in my possession are being held in my reserve relative to the Second Amendment and the likelihood of a possible insurrection (given the current unrest). Stay out of my fantasies and I will stay out of yours.
Okay, how about in any verifiable scenario...

RickB

I have a 30-round Carbine magazine that has a little ledge "punched in the tube" of the magazine tube, one and one-half inch down from the top on the tube's left-hand side (as viewed from behind. Is that the extension you are referring to?

On the left-rear corner, yes.

dahermit

Just took my M1 Carbine out to shoot a few rounds. Bolt did not want to close all the way. Temperature is 27 degrees Fahrenheit. I suspect that gun grease coupled with an old recoil spring is likely fault. I ordered a Carbine spring kit from Sarco. I will try again after the kit gets here and I have replaced the recoil spring et. al. The Carbine functioned fine that last time I fired it, but that was in the Summer when it was a whole lot warmer.

Last edited: