Holsters - "safety straps" - your thoughts please . . .

MLeake

brickeyee, if a person is skilled enough to sneak up on me, move my cover garment, and get a grip on my pistol without me noticing, I severely doubt a thumb-strap will prove a hindrance to him.

OTOH, if I'm grappling with a BG, the strap may prove a hindrance to me.

It's all in how you look at it.

I think it depends alot on the carriers lifestyle & hobbles...

that said... "most of mine have straps... but then I've been known to ride ATV's agressively, work around on the farm, etc...

when I 1st started carrying, I had my S&W snubbie fall out of a cheap Uncle Mikes holster, like 3 times ( 3 strikes ) I threw away the holster, & had a baddly scratched up revolver

... so now I have both revolver & auto holsters both with & without straps, & wear what works best for what I'm doing that day, I think all my holsters are leather... & I don't think you could give me a nylon holster after my initial expirience with that Uncle Mikes holster

BTW... I also make holsters... & one of my favorite revolver retention systems is the "cylinder window" which I had seen on some vintage holsters... my favorite was custom made for a custom old S&W top break single action snubbie, & the revolver "snaps" into the window, & yet draws nicely as well...

brickeyee

OTOH, if I'm grappling with a BG, the strap may prove a hindrance to me.

It's all in how you look at it.

If you are grappling with a BG you better hope the strap works.

They know what a gun is also, and all your other excuses "skilled enough to sneak up on me, move my cover garment, and get a grip on my pistol without me noticing"

Do not mean anything at that point.

BGs are not uniformly stupid, and even the less than bright ones know how to grab for a gun.

MLeake

brickeyee, without meaning to sound unreasonably cocky, most people who grapple with me should be worried about what I would do. Wrestled, then kickboxed for a while, then fifteen years of aikido plus a few years of jujutsu and a year of arnis... and I'm a pretty fit 210lbs.

So I'm less worried about the BG grabbing my gun, then about something delaying me from grabbing mine if a gun is really needed.

YMMV.

Don P

Until another person tries to pull it out of the holster.

It is not just about retention in 'normal' activities.

I would say this applies to LE. John Q public should have there gun concealed so how is da bad guy gonna know ya gots a gun?:confused: Open carry state maybe. Mas wrote about this very thing in one of his many books about CCW and showed through pictures on how one should/should not stand at say a store counter waiting for your order when open carry is used and it also pertained to LE. Common sense if you ask me. Thats why I carry a handgun so I don't have to rassle wit the BG.

AlanS

If the holster I'm using has a strap I prefer the kind that snaps closed over the hammer area. For revolvers I like having the safety strap like this, for semi-autos I only use the strap if I open carry. For concealed carry I prefer an inner waistband fitted to the gun.

Sixer

A lot of it depends on what type of holster you have, what kind of gun you are carrying, HOW you are carrying, etc...

I make a bit of everything when it comes to holsters, but most of my work is for the Concealed Carry type.

For a CCW, I'm not a big fan of a thumb break. If the holster is properly molded, there should be enough passive retention to keep your gun firmly in place. A thumb break becomes nothing but another thing to remember when you are drawing your weapon under stress.

For Open Carry, Western Style, Duty gear, or anything that leaves the trigger exposed... then obviously a thumb break is fine, possibly required.

Sooo... I guess it just all depends. :)

Joe the Redneck

I like the velcro retention strap. If I trip and fall (as I often do) everything stays put. Yet it will just rip off if I draw the draw the weapon.

Not perfect, nothing is.

alienbogey

<<A thumb break becomes nothing but another thing to remember when you are drawing your weapon under stress.>>

Train to the thumb break and you won't have to remember anything - it becomes a natural part of the draw and doesn't slow you down at all.

I was a little bummed when my department issued a mandatory-no-other-option thumbreak holster, but now it is second nature. I would have to stop and think to not disengage the thumbreak on the draw. Also, I have come to appreciate the added security of the weapon due to the strap.

Based on my experience I recommend that if you use a thumb break holster to make all your carry holsters thumb breaks. I was issued my department weapon and holster, got familiar and qualified, then went back to carrying my personal weapon on my own time in a non-thumb break holster. The next time I carried the duty weapon and drew it (in training), sure enough I tried to pull it without disengaging the thumb break.

I promptly ordered thumb break holsters for every pistol that I carry or compete with and the problem was solved - disengaging the thumb break is pure muscle memory now.

bds32

I've always worn a duty holster with a thumb break as that has been the norm in law enforcement over the past 30 years. That includes the roll top retention device on the Safarilands that were very popular. It seem the Serpa holster with the index finger actuation is popular now but I have no desire to switch to that. I am an older dog now and I don't really care for a lot of new tricks.

Right now, I wear plain clothes to work (investigations) so I have a concealment type leather holster. I wear a El Paso Sadderly Tortilla pancake holster with a thumb break. Very nice holster. I decided to take a page out of old Bill Jordan's book and leave it unsnapped for standard activities. The holster is very snug and retention is outstanding without being snapped in. The strap sits on top of the holster ready to be snapped in if I forsee any arduous activity. I still put my thumb exactly where it could disengage the thumb break.

Off duty, I do the same thing with the LCR. It works very well.

The reason for all of this is to ensure a quicker smoother draw. I know some folks discount the quick draw but I don't. Fractions of seconds could mean the difference between life and death.