Hogue Universal Grip Sleeve...Does it work?

ibdecent

It's all personal opinion.

I like them myself. got them on a g21. hardly noticeable.

but then again, opinions are like buttholes, everyone's got one and they all stink!

jmr40

They work fine, but after giving the bicycle innertube a try I honestly like it better. They provide just the right amount of tackiness to get a good grip with out adding much thickness. You can cut it to fit better on more gun models. I have them on all my Glocks and AR's. Even put one on my Kel-tec 380. I still have about 1/2 of the tube left.

Mosin44az

I prefer the Pachmayr version. The Hogue builds in a palm swell, which is too much on some guns, especially those (like the newer Glocks) that already have shaped grips. The Hogue rubber revolver grips are a more successful design, in my opinion.

The Pachmayr slip-ons generally help, they cut the irritation of some plastic grips and do help me hold on to the guns I've had them on, and they are thin without the annoying built-in palm swell humps.

I forget whether the Pachmayr or the Hogues are designed so they can slip over built-in grooves on the frontstrap of some polymer guns. One of them has material removed from behind the pointed parts of its finger grooves so it can work with built-in grooves. It's important to get the right one.

I have used the Pachmayrs on Glocks, my old Ruger P95, and my Taurus PT 145 (which they really helped on). I notice I don't have them on my current guns. But if you find yourself irritated by the checkering or find your grip slipping at all, they can help, and I think they dampen felt recoil a bit also. And of course you can trim them to the right length.

Last edited:

Quentin2

..."are designed so they can slip over built-in grooves on the frontstrap of some polymer guns..."

The Hogue Handall has hollowed out finger bumps that fit over the bumps on a Glock's front strap. If your gun doesn't have them the Handall still works fine.

Superhouse 15

I have a cut down one (one finger groove only) on my Kahr .40. Hellps a lot with the recoil in that little gun.

The only thing I have ever heard negative about them is from an old instructor at the local Sheriff's department who works next door to my fire station. He said that such a grip can make it easier for the gun to be twisted out of your grip in a struggle. I have no idea if it has ever happened or even if it would really make a difference, but I do respect his opinion. He's a BTDT kind of person and a much decorated military and LEO veteran.

Dallas Jack

I put one on my P3AT as well as a finger piece from a Bersa Thunder .380 mag. It makes it much easier and comfortable to shoot.

See Picture.
Dallas Jack

Attachments

• b07132009 001.jpg
    b07132009 001.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 16

Jim243

I have them on every plastic grip for each and every gun I own, yes they work and finger grooves make it easer to shoot. They are cheap and effective.

Kermit

I got one w/ my USP 45 way back in AA and took it off before the end of the first 1000 rounds. I noticed it moving around I fired defensive ammo and it threw off my shots. Tried it again after a couple 1000 shots and noticed the same thing -- haven't used it since.