Hogue Universal Grip Sleeve...Does it work?

ramp_tech

I am thinking about getting one of those for my polymer Walther P99 (40S&W) because I was told that they helped with the recoil, more comfortable to shoot, and it's easier to hold the gun when your hands are wet. However, I have also heard that they are just ugly and worthless POS.

Do you use the sleeve and do you think that they worth the $15?

Hogue_17000.jpg

kerby

good grip

I have one on my kahr cw9. I live here in vegas and found it to help alot when out at the outdoor range. I don't find it to ugly but what do I know, I am sure there are more expierenced opinions than mine.

kerby

MEATSAW

I love Hogue Rubber grips. I have them on every gun I own. I just purchased my first two Hogue "hand-all" grip sleeves: one for my HK P2000, and one for my shotguns Knoxx pistol grip. They work fantastic and look like they came with the gun. I love the added comfort and control of the soft rubber finger grooves, I find my grip is enhanced over the hard plastic stock grip. And for under $20 its well worth it.

#18indycolts

I bought one for my P99 and it doesn't fit like it would on a glock, didn't like it. Try it and find out, I don't think it was designed for a P99.

Double Impact

I cut a piece of bike tire tube works the same and a lot cheaper. if I want to replace it I can get a lot of them out of one tube.:eek::D

Jkwas

They work if for you the bumps are in the right place. It's a personal thing. I tried one on my Pt111 and I didn't care for it. I use bicycle tubing as well.

PSP

I'd recommend them. I use the Hogue as well as the Pachmayr sleeve. They are a great addition on certain guns... Kahrs in particular. I put one on my HK USP too. I'm not sure they reduce recoil, but they do offer a "stickier" grip. They usually cost about $10 around here.

macville

I just got a Hogue Universal sleeve for my Taurus 24/7 and I really like it. I have bigger hands so it helps the gun to fit in my hand better, and personally, I did feel like it dampened the recoil a little. I am a very happy buyer. BTW, I got my shipped out the door for like $12.07 at midwayusa.com. I'm not sure if they are still doing the sale, but it was a good deal.

Matthew

donmor53

Living here on the humid Texas Gulf Coast and having a natural tendency to sweaty palms...all three of my Glocks either Pachmayr or Hogue sleeves (not much difference to me)and all of my carry Sigs and revolvers have Hogue rubber grips. One would think their palms are glued to the grip and I wouldn't be without them...especially down here.

CWPinSC

I have the Hogue or Pachmayer slip-ons on all my "Tupperware" guns. They're GREAT! It's a nice soft sorta sticky grip and cushions the recoil a little. I love'em!

PS: I also use large diameter shrink tubing sometimes. Available at any large electronics supply house. Good stuff and you can customize the fit with it.

Quentin2

I love Hogue rubber grips too, and have them on five pistols and especially like the one for the Hi-Power. I have a full size Handall on my Taurus Millennium Pro PT111 and had to do some cutting to reduce the size but it's really improved the grip on this small gun. The cobblestone surface makes a big difference over a slick or hard pistol grip. There is a smaller Handall Jr. but I like the larger one for the extra finger groove and surface area.

You might shop around, in store I've seen the Handall for $6.99 at Sportsman's Warehouse and $9.99 at Cabelas while the fitted ones for the HP, 1911, K-frames, etc. were $16.99 and $19.99. Still, the Handall is worth $15.

DasFriek

I have the Handall jr. and it makes the gun alot more easy to hang on too while shooting .45acp in such a small package.
I also got the Hogue wrap around for my 1911 and it doesnt even feel like the same gun,altho id change them to thinner ones if i try and ccw it.
$10-$15 is good price for the feel they give.

PT745004.jpg

7east

They're definitely comfortable and perform their function very well. I put one on my hk uspc. What I didn't like was having something 'attached' to the pistol. If you don't mind that then I think yes, they are definitely worth it.

Last edited:

ezenbrowntown

I have one on my Kahr PM9 and it makes a HUGE difference. My grip is better, the recoil is less and it doesn't rub a blister from the polymer "nubs" on the back. Highly recommend.

redrick

I have the Qwik Grip on my Kahr P9, it made a world of difference in comfort and added a little thickness that I needed. The stock grips start to wear a blister on my hand after 100 rounds. I've got soft, sense I quit turning wrenches.

orionengnr

They work fantastic and look like they came with the gun.
Not sure I'd go along with either of those statements.

They work "okay"--I had one on a G-23 and it was okay, no great improvement. Worth a try but not worth it's weight in gold, IMO.

I have not added one to any of my other handguns.

It certainly does not look like it "came with the gun", in fact it is clearly an add-on, and a tacky one at that (once again, my opinion).

And so it goes with anything described as "universal"...it is not a custom fit. Look at the pic in the original post. FWIW, on a G-23, it interferes with the mag release unless you trim it. For a carry gun, check this carefully. Nothing worse than an accessory that interferes with the proper operation of a defensive handgun.

Bottom line: It is a make-do, add-on. It is what it is. If you like it, fine.