HK Striker announced

Uncle Malice

Yep. It's interesting. The different slide stop lever designs seem a bit sloppy to me, and I don't like that the front of the rail sticks out like a 'chin' on the gun. I think it should be swept back as the P30, HK45, etc are.

I'm definitely interested in checking it out though. I still really like light LEM and Match LEM hybrid.

Mystro

I am a long time HK fan of the USP series. In fact I own 3 USP Compacts in every caliber and carry the USPc 40 as my EDC. That said, I never could get into the P30 for various reasons including the odd place for the decocker. Owning HK's since the mid 1990's, one of the attractions I had to the PPQ was how much it was built to the quality of the HK's I was familiar with.

RomeoTangoBravo: HK VP9 :: First Impressions

I just read a review of the VP9 by a HK forum member that actually handled one and he described the trigger somewhere between a FN FNS and a PPQ. I own both of those guns and there is a huge difference between the two so its hard to believe it will be anywhere near a PPQ since it won't be fully cocked like the PPQ.
HK is a DA/SA gun like Sig and that's what they do best. I see no reason for the PPQ to remain the halo gun of the striker fire world. The VP9 doesn't have HK' s excellent buffer ring to mitigate recoil. It does work well and I am not sure it wasn't included in the VP9???
The Walther is a high quality German gun and gives up nothing in quality to HK. Both are top of the line manufactures that only put out ultra high quality firearms so there really shouldn't be any ******* matches between the brands.

FYI... I was browsing the magazines at Walmart and saw that Massad Ayoob has the PPQ as one of his top 3 picks.

TunnelRat

The different slide stop lever designs seem a bit sloppy to me

Agreed.

I don't like that the front of the rail sticks out like a 'chin' on the gun. I think it should be swept back as the P30, HK45, etc are.

My understanding was it was to add another rail section. The HK 45c had the problem where the rail wasn't long enough to fit a fullsize light. However that's mainly due to the angled front of the trigger guard. Idk if it was really necessary.

HK is a DA/SA gun like Sig and that's what they do best.

Unfortunately I don't think the market will allow them to survive only making hammer fired guns.

The VP9 doesn't have HK' s excellent buffer ring to mitigate recoil. It does work well and I am not sure it wasn't included in the VP9???

That buffer ring is more to reduce wear to the frame than to reduce felt recoil. It may be that the width of it would have required the slide to be taller and taken away any bore axis advantage. Good catch though.

FYI... I was browsing the magazines at Walmart and saw that Massad Ayoob has the PPQ as one of his top 3 picks.

On a scale from 1- not caring less, I could not care less what Ayoob has to say. This isn't direct at you, but the man himself. He has loads of experience, but I don't worship at his altar like many seem to do.

I'm definitely interested in checking it out though. I still really like light LEM and Match LEM hybrid.

I'll be interested when LEM 4.1 or whatever it is called comes out.

BarryLee

It does seem like the price point will make it attractive to a lot of folks that maybe didn’t want to pay for one of the more expensive guns.

Dirty_Harry

It does seem like the price point will make it attractive to a lot of folks that maybe didn’t want to pay for one of the more expensive guns.

The Glock guys will still come out and say it isnt worth it....:rolleyes:

I see no reason for the PPQ to remain the halo gun of the striker fire world.

I think the FNS-9 is better than the PPQ, but different strokes for different folks. If the trigger really is between the FNS-9 and PPQ, I think we will have a winner.

Especially since it will be as comfortable as a P30.

jr24

Yikes, that's hideous and since I have a Glock, pointless (there, and I'm not even a Glock fanboy :D)

Really though, I'm interested to pick one up and see how it feels. If its got a trigger I like, and a price I like I could see owning one some day.

sigarms228

Glad that HK has finally come out with it.

For me I am perfectly content with my Walther PPQ. The VP9 is longer, taller, and heavier than the PPQ. With a street price of probably $100 more than a PPQ, I am not sure I would be interested in a VP9. Hope my LGS gets one at their rental counter as I would like try it out.

The HK VP9 literature shows a service life of 10,000+ rounds. Not to impressive a figure IMO. I understand that service life is typically worst case scenario much lower than what can be expected with a well maintained pistol but still.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

The HK VP9 literature shows a service life of 10,000+ rounds. Not to impressive a figure IMO. I understand that service life is typically worst case scenario much lower than what can be expected with a well maintained pistol but still.

They show it was tested to that point. That doesn't mean it can't go beyond it. :rolleyes:

jeager106

HK has been building some of the best firearms in the world for a long time.
I bought 3 MP-5s, one supressed for the department.
Currently I have an HK USP full size .45 & like it quite a bit.

HKFan9

I can take or leave a striker trigger, they don't make or break a gun to me, that it seems like is they are cutting corners and coming out with a cheaper price point gun to compete with other brands.... something which HK is not really known for, I hope it isn't the case.

PSP

Is it just me or does it remind anyone else of a Walther PPX?

Sure, but only in passing. I can tell a difference between the P30 grip and the PPQ. I suspect there will be a similar difference in the PPX and VP9. The P30 is a great grip. The PPQ is very good, but not as good, IMHO.