HK P30 Slide Releases when Loading Magazine...

Thanks for the posts, fellas...and gals if you are one.

I talked to a trusted gunsmith today. He wasn't familiar with the P30 line. He knows what they are, just hasn't worked on any yet. His assessment was based on other guns doing the same thing. Basically, he said not to worry about it if it doesn't interfere with learned defensive tactics. IOW, be sure to know this may happen if under a defensive scenario and practice for it. That way, there isn't the split second thought of "what happened to the gun" in the heat of the moment.

My wife will have the ultimate decision on what to do since I'm convinced that safe operation isn't compromised. It's her primary go-to gun.

Dobe

There are at least two participants on this thread that are continual posters on HKPro. Believe me, the P30 will get high marks from HKPro. It is a very good handgun. I'm not into high cap 9's, and I want one. If the P30 is anything like the HK45, then it is a worthy sidearm.

Sturmgewehre

It's not "perfectly normal" even though it is a common flaw.

There is a difference between slamming a magazine into a well and normally putting one in and tapping it with the palm of your hand. During normal use, the slide should not close itself when the magazine is inserted.

I can't think of a valid reason to slam a magazine into a well of a pistol that has its slide locked back. There should be very little resistance to it being inserted and it should only require a modest tap to seat it.

If you're slamming mags into your gun, you should probably revisit your training regiment and learn to insert it without using excessive force.

There is a difference between slamming a magazine into a well and normally putting one in and tapping it with the palm of your hand. During normal use, the slide should not close itself when the magazine is inserted.
I can't think of a valid reason to slam a magazine into a well of a pistol that has its slide locked back. There should be very little resistance to it being inserted and it should only require a modest tap to seat it.
If you're slamming mags into your gun, you should probably revisit your training regiment and learn to insert it without using excessive force.

Reread post #9, Sturm. Bottom line is I'm not using excessive force. I do use a bit less force to load in this manner compared to having one in the pipe and the slide is closed. There is little resistance when the slide is locked back. Yes, a modest tap does seat it. But during normal sessions I'm using the same basic amount of force that assures seating of the magazine whether the slide is locked back or not. It's one less thing to think about if a conflict should arise. And that's reason enough for me. Besides, I don't see threads with "I broke my magazine base by exerting too much force" on a normal basis...do you?

I'm surprised it's you that thinks I'm actually using "excessive force" on magazine insertions when your pretty famous around here for "abusing" your handguns.:)