hiking carry gun

TunnelRat

You use what you have for sure and I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying it's not going to be easy given the speed they can have and the potential penetration needed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Lohman446

You use what you have for sure and I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying it's not going to be easy given the speed they can have and the potential penetration needed.

True that. I kind of view all use of pistols in defense as of that nature. You use what you have but you should never be comfortable that what you have is enough either. Stopping a moose (bear, cougar, rhino, aggressive human, whatever) with a pistol is going to take a tremendous amount of intestinal fortitude, skill, and no small helping of luck.

Siggy-06

Anytime I go hiking, I carry my beretta Pico. Small, light, stainless, and can fit in a pocket. In bear country a can of bear spray comes with me too.

shafter

Which New England states? Some of the states in New England are some of the safest in the nation as far as violent crime, although I'd still consider people more of a threat than animals.

It's possible that you could encounter a bear or moose, but the chances of them attacking are extremely low. I'd stick with whichever carry piece I had the most confidence in.

Wyosmith

My field guns are mostly revolvers. When I am in the plains and open desert areas I often carry a S&W 22 kit gun or K22. At times I carry a 38 Special.
In the hunting seasons I usually carry a 357 if I am in places where there are only deer and antelope. If there are elk, I carry a 44 or 454. Where I live, elk and grizzly often live in the same areas.
If traveling by vehicle or around town or in cities I mostly carry a 45 auto with one extra mag.

So why is any of the above important?
It's not!

You see, in every situation where a fight or defensive situation may occur, the weight of the equation is ALWAYS 98% who is involved and 2% what tool is used.In other words any gun will do if you can do a good job with the gun.
Some guns give you more useful features or ballistics, and if such a gun does you will use that gun to a higher level of skill and/or effectiveness,,,,,,, but it;'s still YOU doing the shooting. Not the gun.

A man who has owned a good 22 handgun for 3 years and shot 20,000 rounds through it already is about 99% better off then a man who got some super duper uber military wonder handgun last week and has fired it 50 shots. The very best is to own the super-gun and have 20,000 rounds through it of course, ------but becoming an expert with the gun you carry is the real key.

CDR_Glock

Today we have much better ammo than we did 20 years ago.

My question is should a New England Hiker carry a 45acp or 10 mm?

I carry a 454 Casull or 44 Magnum in a chest holster.

Between your two choices, I’d pick a 10 mm. It is supersonic and should take care of anything that you will encounter. For bear the 4-3-1 Rule For Bear: 4x caliber, 300 gr, 1000 FPS is accepted at least for brown bear or grizzly.

If you think it’s bear that you will encounter, hardcast lead will do the trick, such as flavors by Buffalo Bore, Underwood or other hard hitters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

44 AMP

Staff
For bear the 4-3-1 Rule For Bear: 4x caliber, 300 gr, 1000 FPS is accepted at least for brown bear or grizzly.

Cute rule. Probably sells a lot of stuff to people who don't know as much as they think they do. Personally, I won't be following it. Mostly because I don't consider 300gr slugs a requirement.

Brown bear and grizzly are simply not found outside of zoos (if they even have them there) east of the Mississippi and New England is bit east of the Mississippi river...

I grew up spending summers (and some very cold winters) in the Adirondacks of northern New York and have tromped the wood from there to Maine and back. Statistically, other humans are the greatest threat. BLACK bears, yes, Brown and Grizzly, NO. Mountain Lions have been officially extinct in the NE for over a century, but having seen one, in the late 60s, I don't think they're extinct, just ultra rare. Possibly there's more of them now, but its not like farther west where they're much more common.

And, while cats are fast they aren't huge or armor plated. Any common defense pistol will take out a cat, IF you can hit it properly.

Feral dogs (and dog packs) are something to be aware of. One of my friends shot a 60lb "coy-dog" running deer back in the 70s. It was neither a true wolf nor a coyote, but looked a lot like a wolf.

Carry what you know and can use well, the gun that serves you in town will also serve just as well when you step off the pavement.

You guys over in New England probably aren't worried about rattlers....

Until the temp gets down close to freezing, we damn sure are worried about rattlers! A 6' Eastern Diamondback is not a small snake! And when I was growing up at least one was killed on the road near South Bay (Lake Champlain) every couple years or so. They are out there, guaranteed!

Dusty Rivers

handgun iffy

I would rather suggest a small shotgun with rifled slugs,with a good sling. Could load some bird shot for copperheads.

shurshot

There have been a number of confirmed Mountain lion sightings in Maine in the past 30 years, confirmed via hair samples and tracks. What is debatable is whether or not the lions are part of a residual population, or just passing through, as the last Mountain lion was killed in Maine around 1936. Timber wolves, on occassion, have also wandered over from Quebec and have been shot here in Maine (DNA verified). Federal offense to shoot either, unless it was a verifiable self defense situation. Better be legitimate,
or it's SERIOUS trouble. Neither are supposed to be in Maine, but plenty of people still report seeing them.

That being said, Maine (as well as NH and Vermont), are relatively safe states. Even a reliable .22 sidearm should serve one well as a hiking / woods loafing gun. I have carried .22's, .38's, .380's on up to .44 Magnums during the course of my life living, hiking / hunting in Maine. Currently I'm packing an Uberti El Patron .45 Colt (or "Long Colt" if you prefer) for off duty carry, hiking, back up hunting sidearm, etc.). Feels REAL good in my hand and more accurate than I am. I was just shooting it this morning at a Florida State run outdoor range... Wicked smooth trigger. This Italian .45 Colt has been in my waistband / IWB holster the entire vacation. ZERO 2nd thoughts pertaining to my choice either. :D

Most would scoff at my choice, but I'm more accurate and comfortable with a single action revolver and that's what counts when the chips are down, not looking tacticool. ;)

I say shoot what feels good and carry what YOU can make good hits with. Don't worry about what other people think or shoot. Pick a gun / caliber combination YOU enjoy and can shoot well, along with a solid holster to carry it in. Either a .45 ACP or 10MM should be fine for anything you may encounter deep in the New England woods.

Last edited:

Forte S+W

I really think that the combination .410/.45 revolvers have a lot of utility as trail guns.

I mean, you've can load something for practically anything. Birdshot for snakes, buckshot for coyotes, .45s for larger predatory animals, and they even make .410 flares.

JERRYS.

hiking in New England is too vague. a .38 spl snub nose will do you well in Connecticut while a 44 mag might be preferred for Maine.

Whatever could get >>wet<< but can be dried off without much of a delay.

Among my pair of P6 are a near-pristine Sig P6 and a second with a worn slide. Also have five other handguns.

You know which P6 would be carried out in the open (if I were a nature hiker), but only goes on errands in my Remora IWB.

Last edited:

American Man

125 and 27.

125 mountain lion attacks and 27 fatalities in America.

In 100 years.

Perspective.
What do you mean by perspective? Do you mean that the people who were attacked and survived should some how be reassured that it won't happen to other people as often as it happened to them? How is it reassuring to them?

Or maybe the families of the one's that were killed should relax cause the chances of another one of their family members getting killed by a cougar are much less now?

Or maybe people should just relax cause their chances of winning the lottery are better than getting attacked by a cougar?

The only perspective I'm interested in is being prepared for what could happen to me or who I am with.

giaquir

I have neither pistols yet,but what we do have is visitors: Bears;Moose;big Coyotes,bobcats and even a ticked off deer can cause issues . I've lost many chickens to Bobcats and Coyotes.I walked out one morning to feed the chickens and ducks and there was a mama bear and 2 youngins (they stayed around for a couple days). Bull moose have come up to my shooting table,we watched him thru the slider. This is not just once. We
have a log cabin backed up to at least 4 or 500 acres, we own only 8. I come from Washington cty , Maine and my grandfather always said ,one never knows what they will run into in the woods, what with all these exotic game preserves and such. So don't ever let anybody say there's nothing in the woods that will put a hurt on you. Are you gonna be no. 28 ?