Hi-Point king of the .380s?

shamus005

I think you mean Hi-Point.

Hi-Power is a 9mm.;)

I don't think a gun magazine ever dislikes a gun. So I doubt the objectivity of gun magazines, but I enjoy the pictures.

Many here like the Bersa. It be a better choice for a .380 over a Hi-Point. A CZ-83 might be worth a look.

Last edited:

sltintexas

Yeah he meant hi point, its on page 65.

I have a .380 hi point. I really am amazed when I shoot it that it functions as well as it does for what I bought it for ($89). The bulks of the problems related to hi points are caused by the mags which are just as cheap feeling as the gun.

Hi points are a good on a beer budget, but it does feel like you are shooting a beer budget gun. It is definitely a no frills gun, . It has hard plastic grips and has a safety that will cut your finger off. Forget about carrying it, its big and bulky and it rattles like a box of tick tacs. I don't forsee them lasting 10s of thousands of rounds, but they have a lifetime warranty. When/if I wear it out, I'll send it back.. or for the cost I paid.. maybe throw it in the crusher and forget about it.

I have thought about buying a 9mm and burying in my back yard, cuz I'm crazy like that :cool:

Last edited:

KyJim

Thanks, I have changed the name. I really do know the difference between Hi-Point and Hi-Power. I think it was a Freudian slip -- just couldn't think of the Hi-Point being king of anything.

ramp_tech

Interesting...this gotta be the first time I've heard something like this.

Before you send it back to Ruger , put all the original parts back on the gun and have someone else you trust (hopefully with fair knowledge of firearm handling) run 50 rounds of various ammo through it; this way, you will be able to rule out the possible errors on the parts and the user.

IMHO, Ruger has one of the best CS around, I am sure they won't let you down again.

Huntergirl

Several folks would argue that Bersa is king of the .380's, and have been happy with them. Hi Points seem to work though.

Russ5924

I read that a few weeks ago but he did say he bought everyone he tested. I don't think I would rush out and buy one:eek:

neon

Most people buy a gun that shoots .380 for it's size..i.e.
the Kel Tec, LCP or Seecamp.

They know the .380 is not the best round but, it's a compromise
for the small carry guns..now we have the Hi Point .380??

It's just as large as the 9mm so why get a gun in the same
size as their 9mm platform? and then have higher ammo costs?

Hi Point .380.. don't understand it.

wnycollector

I will admit to shooting a borrowed Hipoint .45 at the range last fall. It was clunky w/ horrible ergonomics, BIG and suprisingly accurate. If I ran across one for less than $100...I would pick it up...cuz one can NEVER have enough .45's around the house!

shamus005

I tried out a guy's .45 Hi-Point at the range one time. Accuracy was okay, and the top-heavy slide gave an odd recoil impulse. It went BANG, though, and threw the bullet decently.

His Lorcin L380 was another story, lots of FTE and double feeds. I'm sure some gun mag writer out there called the Loricn a "beer budget .380" at one time. :rolleyes:;):D

Microgunner

Hi-Points are the most interesting firearms I know of for no other reason than the controversy they stir. Wouldn't buy one if they were two for a dollar though.