hi point C9 9mm

moisanfan11

I just want to know if this is a good starter semi auto pistol. I won't use it for self defense unless I absoluty have to. I would just be using it for target shooting. I also don't care about how it looks and the weight. So any thoughts

Rob228

Would this be your first semi? You might want to take a look at some used Ruger MKII/MKIII .22's. With ammo prices and availability where they are now, and target shooting being your interest they would serve you better.

myusername

If all you have is $150 then it's probably your best bet. I have one mainly as a throwaway for situations I can't think of.

But if you can afford more a better first gun would be a Ruger, Smith, XD, HK, or that fat plastic gun with no safety that cops use and no self respecting 1911 owner would ever speak the name in public. :D

CajunBass

I used to have one. It worked just fine.

I won't use it for self defense unless I absoluty have to.

That's what I'd say about any weapon. I wouldn't use it unless I absolutly HAD to. ;)

If ALL I had ever owned was that Hi-Point, I sure would have used it for self-defense.

JasonJ

again, if all you have is $150 and you want a gun now.. as opposed to saving another $150 or so and buying a good used gun, or a better "cheap" gun (S&W Sigma comes to mind), then go for it.

for what it is, its a good gun.. they dont look like much, but they DO work. Surprisingly accurate too due to the fixed barrel.

although with ammo prices what they are, and this being primarily a plinking gun, I'd opt for a good 22lr instead. Browning buckmark, Ruger mark series, etc...

Skans

No, I don't consider it a good starter semi-auto pistol for your stated purposes. If it was for home self defense, it would probably pass. You can find used Hi-Points all day long - people dump them for better guns, so there's no shortage of them. If you could get it for under $100 and its in great condition, then someone might be doing you a good turn.

I'm just going to throw this out there. There are a lot of gun snobs out there. I am one of them (sort of, but not really). Actually, most folks who like to shoot are gun snobs (whether they will admit it or not). This doesn't mean that they have to have the most expensive, latest and greatest gun. But, it does mean that they like seeing, shooting, and handling "interesting" guns. When you go to a gun range, do you really want to be shooting the gun that screams "I know nothing about guns, but the Pawn guy suckered me into this one swearing it will out-shoot $1,000 guns...."

For a little more money, and some research, you can find decent used 9mm's that make better range guns. Besides, with what you will be spending on 9mm ammo, why chintz on the gun?

Ruger P98 - can be had for about $250.
Star BM 8mm - depending on condition about $250
EAA SAR 9mm - about $290 (Jury's still out on this one)
EAA Poly Witness 9mm - $290

I'm sure there are some others in this range - you used to be able to find police S&W 659's for about $250, but I haven't seen any of those for a long time.

Last edited:

Kev

I 2nd the Star 9mm
All steel can handle +P. Picked up mine last week for $260.00 from gunsamerica.

Downside is parts down the road will be an issue..

osbornk

I don't understand the bashing of the C9. I have one. I got it to shoot and not to look at. It shoots straight, fires every time I pull the trigger and is reliable (but it has the best lifetime warranty in the business). If you want a gun to brag about, it is not a gun you want. However, if you want a gun to do what a gun is made to do, it is a good product.

Skans

I'm really not bashing the Hi-Point. I even said that for Home Defense, it really is just fine. But, for a range gun, it's really not the best choice. For me, I don't like the way it feels; I don't like the trigger, and it just feels "cheap", top-heavy and overly bulky to me.

Remember he said he wanted a range gun. Someone who is getting into shooting and will be frequenting the range with his new interest in the shooting sports should recognize that there is more of a social aspect to this. People check out and shoot other peoples guns. This is common, it's how we know what we like and don't like without having to rent it. All I'm explaining is that there is another side to this. It's like if you were getting into cycling and you show up in to ride with a group of road riders for the first time wearing baggy shorts, a T-shirt and a bicycle with fat tires and a shock under the seat. Are we all supposed to just be completely silent about this?

Also, unless you buy a Hi-Point at the right price, its going to be hard to get your money back out of it, when (not if) you decide to upgrade to a better gun. I've got an old Lorcin .380 that someone just didn't want anymore so he gave it to me. Granted, the Hi-Point is a better gun than a Lorcin, but I probably would have a hard time giving that gun away to anyone where I shoot. What would someone pay for a well-used Hi-Point? $80? More?

Last edited:

PowerPistol

This always gets me. The same guys making fun of hi-points that shoot fine, day in and day out and are pretty accurate, are shooting 1200 dollar 1911's that wont make it through 2 mags without a jam.

KMAX

Skans does make a good point. I had never shot a 45acp and had no interest in owning one. My friend bought a Hi Point 45 and I shot it. I still had no interest in owning a 45acp. Then my nephew bought a RIA 1911 and let me shoot it. I very soon afterward bought a 1911 for myself. I shot the Hi Point 9mm and it shot fine, but I had no interest in owning one. It is not a bad gun, just not very interesting. I think a Hi point is a good utilitarian gun if that is what you need, but there are so many that are more interesting and fun to shoot.

osbornk

My son-in-law has a nice new Glock 17 with night sights and other options. The last time we shot together, it jammed and my Hi-Point c9 didn't. For less than the money he spent, I bought my slightly used C9, a new Heritage Rough Rider revolver with both LR and Mag cylinders as well as a new Henry Lever Action 22LR rifle. They are all reliable and accurate. It is a lot more fun to enjoy all three weapons than it is to enjoy just one, no matter how special it is.

Rob228

So..... would any of you who are supporting them for all you are worth care to comment on this part of the OP's post
I would just be using it for target shooting
or do you immediately assume HiPoint bashing is taking place and come to the defensive? I haven't seen any bashing, only people offering legitimate suggestions, yet automatically anyone who doesn't say "GO FOR IT" is a high point basher?

jsust

i second the ruger mkIII(my favorite pistol) or 22/44. i saw a 22/45 at my local gun shop for $275 so there not that expensive. there on buds for $281 free shipping right now. if $150 is all you have then go for it. its weird that there is more g**** haters(im one) on here than hipoint bashers lol.

mxsailor803

My High Point is usually just for the range, my wife shoots it better than me lol. Its cheap, ugly, and has been reliable with me for over 3 years now. Not a thing wrong with it. If you get one, you might get bored of it later on but then you would only be out like 100-150 bucks. To me it wasn't that be of a deal breaker so I'm keeping it.

CajunBass

So..... would any of you who are supporting them for all you are worth care to comment on this part of the OP's post
Quote:
I would just be using it for target shooting

Yea, I saw it. What about it? I never shot anything at all with mine but a target. What else was I supposed to shoot with it? It did just fine.

It never occured to me that he planned to take it to Camp Perry.

Silver00LT

Mine literally became a ninja star. Jammed up 3 times same magazine steady slow firing. Cleared the weapon and threw it at my target. Grouped WONDERFUL, but unreliable.

Don't recommend them and do not like them. It's a hit or miss with those firearms. I've had two crappy 9MMs and C9 was one of them. Second one was PF9.

Since you just want a cheap target weapon...go ahead. Just be ready for possible malfunctions.

okiewita40

The biggest problem with any semi-auto is the magazines. If you get the Hi=point and good mags. It will be a decent starter gun. But if you a bad magazine with it. You will get frustrated beyond belief. This goes for all semi-auto's.

The OP can go for it if he wants too. But there are better guns out there. Just maybe not in his price range.

I would buy one for self-defense but nothing else. They aren't inaccurste, but they aren't target guns. The ergonomics are BAD. You do not want to put a lot of rounds through them at the range.