Hero Police Officer

armsmaster270

Just had to post this in rebuttal to the Cowardly police post

Profile of N.C. officer who ended violent rampage
By Estes Thompson
Associated Press

CARTHAGE, N.C. — Justin Garner turned down a chance to join the state highway patrol so he could stay on his small hometown's police force. In just five years, he'd already been named Officer of the Year. And when a call came in that a gunman was shooting up a nursing home, Garner was the only one on duty when seemingly everyone else in this town of 1,800 was at church.

The clean-cut outdoorsman with a passion for hunting and fishing raced to the Pinelake Health and Rehab Center. Armed with a .40-caliber Glock pistol, he entered the building to confront Robert Stewart, 45, in the hallway. Garner fired his weapon once, hitting Stewart in the chest, even though Garner had already been shot three times in his foot and leg.
A day later, Garner was being praised as a hero in this small town in North Carolina's Sandhills region, about 60 miles southwest of Raleigh, for forging into the nursing home without waiting for backup to stop a man authorities say shot and killed eight people - many of them elderly and frail - inside.

"If that's not heroism, I don't know what is," said Police Chief Chris McKenzie, who later added: "You can train all you want to, but it comes down to whether you have what it takes."

Garner, 25, grew up in the Carthage area like most of the town's 18-officer police force, said McKenzie, who's also a native. Garner, who is married, has been on the force for less than five years but already has been honored as the town's Officer of the Year.

At one point, though, Garner nearly joined the North Carolina Highway Patrol before ultimately deciding to stay in Carthage, said the Rev. Tom Herndon, the chaplain for the police and fire departments. Herndon, who also is pastor of First Baptist Church of Carthage, described Garner as "a real clean-cut, handsome young fellow" who is fair to the people he serves.

"He's one of the individuals who will give you a break if you happen to be speeding one mile an hour over the speed limit," Herndon said, adding that his wife once received a warning from Garner though he didn't know who she was.

McKenzie said Garner hunts and fishes whenever he gets the chance, and that he's not surprised the officer stayed close to home.

"You don't find too many country boys heading to the city (to become police)," McKenzie said. "They stay here to take care of their own."

Seven nursing home residents and one of their caretakers were killed and three others, including Garner, were wounded. Stewart was charged with eight counts of first-degree murder.

McKenzie said Garner isn't yet ready to speak publicly about the shootings.

"He wants to sit at home with his family and rest. He almost died yesterday," McKenzie said

12GaugeShuggoth

There isn't a smiley that's good enough. That man deserves a tall frosty beer. With how easy it is to criticize cops because of the bad apples, it's always great to hear about the guys and gals out there really doing their job.

a7mmnut

Hat's off to him for NOT waiting and following S.O.P.'s. Unfortunately, never believe that B.S. about "turning down a chance with the N.C. Highway Patrol". Even if he was already a sworn officer, he would have to have scored in the top 25% of a Basic class to even QUALIFY for a chance. The State Troopers are the epitome of professionalism in our state. -7-

THEZACHARIAS

The fact that this is the first place Ive heard about it is a little troubleing, but not unexpected. The medias so hell bent on printing negative stories its nice to hear about the good guys making a dent.

shortwave

Utmost praise to Officer Garner. I bet he hugged his family extra tight. Thanks for the rebuttal thread Armsmaster. The other one still P`s me off.

Prince55

Hero Officer---

That's Great News and I hope he makes a full recovery.
Many good deeds and acts of heroism go un-noticed.
Without some of these police officers to help out we
would be overrun by these lunatics.
What kind of human would go attacking poor elderly people
in a nursing home?
Hats off to the Hero Officer & Thanks Very Much

Gbro

What a blessing to be proud of those that serve. My hat is off to Officer Garner.
Why am I questioning the numbers in this thread? Town of 1800 and an 18 Officer police force. Please tell me that someone did there gazinta's too fast:rolleyes: Double Naught Spy, will you check into this?

totalloser

A rebuttal? I don't understand how that could be a rebuttal. This guy did a standup job. I can think of another instance off the top of my head up in Utah, where an off duty was having lunch, and some loony decided to try and shoot the place up.

The off duty pulled his piece and took a couple shots at the guy, and prevented him from hurting anyone else. Getting shot at is rather distracting when you are trying to go on a rampage.

My info was pulled from the Associated Press, and a few of the "rebuttals" clearly hadn't even read the news. Two receptionists were shot, THEN 11 more civilians were slain. AP reported police arrived on scene within 2 minutes, and entered the building an hour later, when deemed to be "safe".

Very sorry police have to risk their lives. It's too bad there are bad people out there. But when a bad guy is executing innocent civilians, it is time to man up and do your job. Sometimes risks need to be taken.

Incidentally since I received personal attacks regarding said thread, regarding my "hiding" behind my computer screen, the morning after I posted that, I woke up to the pager, and responded to a medical call before I was up for work. On my way home from that call, a second page came out for a water rescue. Missed a whole day of work. So to those who care to criticize someone they don't know, I ask you what have YOU done to make the world a better place today?

PS My point in that thread was that the police did a poor job. They could have not shown up and the outcome would have been the same. It was not meant to be a rag on police in general-usually they do a pretty good job, and face BS you couldn't pay me enough to deal with. But this particular instance ("Immigration center rampage") was a disgrace. As were other mass shootings in which police did not actively "engage" the shooter. And +1 to all the comments about CCW holders!!! It probably would have only taken ONE.

Last edited:

totalloser

Impressive resume.

So let me ask you this; Would YOU have been comfortable sitting outside knowing (from wounded receptionist on 911 dispatch) that innocents are being slain? I don't think anyone with the ability to change the situation could in clear conscience do so.

Let me educate a few of our laymen here; There is a thing called the "golden hour" The golden hour is the hour from the instance of a trauma and delivery to the SURGICAL TABLE of a TRAUMA CENTER (not just a hospital). After the "golden hour" has passed, survival from a trauma (severe injury) drops terribly.

So if you wait an hour from the first shooting, even if a victim was shot 15 minutes into it, once you factor in packaging and transport, the golden hour has passed, and their survival becomes ever less likely. So I find myself asking the question, how much of this golden hour could have been saved had police went after the bad guy? How many victims could have survived?

The officers that responded to this horror were given an opportunity for unprecedented heroism. And for whatever reason (maybe a good one I am not aware of) squandered it.

armsmaster270

If you read the report I went in alone, that answer anything. SOP was wait for a second unit. However it cost me my job due to disability, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Some guys just can't break SOP Some can some times it works and sometimes it makes thing worse. You never know till the bell tolls. I know about the Golden Hour my brother was also an EMT.

totalloser

Well maybe my uneducated (layman) rant should have been on SOP's Perhaps the problem lies in the rules. I'm gonna guess that most relatively seasoned officers are capable of making a reasonable decision, and should not be hindered by rules that potentially will throw a stick in the spokes of doing what needs to be done.

The simple fact of the matter is that there often will be no good outcome. Even when everyone does everything right, good people fall.

My nagging suspicion is that at a scene like that, there are officers that desperately want to go in, some that don't and some that are on the fence about it. Those that do usually are the leaders, and those on the fence will likely follow them. Those that don't want to go in probably shouldn't, but shouldn't hamper the effort of those that DO. The problem with rules that prevent EVERYONE from going in is that those on the fence will be swayed by the rules. And once you take them out of the going in group, the effort is probably hobbled.

Something NEEDS to change. Every time there is another one of these HORRIBLE occurrences, it's another arrow in the quiver of the antigunners, and good people are sent to the grave senselessly. Granted officers could die, but I can think of worse ways to die than as a true hero.

Wagonman

I really really hate MMQs.

You are not being a hero or a good Cop if you rush into a active shooter situation.

You HAVE to have a plan! No Cop should be a martyr.

I am proud of my colleagues and pleased I am not traveling to NY as I am preparing to go to Pittsburgh if the PTB cooperate

pax

Dead cops save no lives.

Neither do cowardly ones.

Somewhere in between those two extremes, good work is often done.

Congratulations and kudos to Justin Garner, who got it right. May his tribe increase!

pax

shortwave

A rebuttal? I don`t understand how this could be a rebuttal.
Cause your whole thread, starting with the title, gave the impression that you were lumping all LEO`s as cowards. You also gave other instance`s that you thought LEO`s acted as cowards and it was clear you have little knowlegde of the intimate details of those happenings either. You got your info from the media and classified LEO`s as cowards???:rolleyes: We`re all frustrated with the current string of mass shootings. The media and this administration is making sure every shooting gets unprecedented attention but thats another discussion. IMO, you owe the LE society an apology.
I asked you, what have YOU done today to make the world a better place today?
I tried to give someone some good advice;)

Wagonman

When I advocate not rushing in where angels fear to tread I am not suggesting cowardice I am advocating having a plan----sending four Cops across a open field against a active shooter is insane, to say nothing of not knowing floorplan etc

Having four cops crouching behind a large vehicle driving up to entrance is a plan. flash bangs and tear gas are your friends.

B.N.Real

I'm just glad Officer Garner is o.k. and that he looks like he will recover.

I have never wanted to be a police officer because I know being one puts you directly at odds with almost everyone you meet from then on except fellow police officers.

That said,even in my younger years of stupidity getting in trouble,I respect all of them.

They work a job where they could die right now and somehow still try to make a difference everyday.

Put on a police uniform that says to alot of people,hate me,and go out in public and try to act normal doing their job.

Nobody that puts on that uniform is a coward.

Get well soon,Officer Garner.