Heritage Manufacturing Inc. -- Rough Rider

Molly

Just to add another opinion, I got one in a trade, NIB. It was a neat to hold and fairly attractive, but not so good to shoot. It seemed to run ok overall but I couldntt hit anything with it. And the "stainless" finish on it was actually some sort of grainy paint. The whole thing just felt cast to me. I know Rugers are i-cast too, but obviously then finished a whole lot nicer. The RR looks like it came out of the mold, got some paint, and shipped. I sold it. My advice would be to get one, and if you don't like it, dump it at a gunshow for $80 - just put FOR SALE on the box and carry it around, someone will buy it in about 10 minutes just because it's only $80 - that's how it went for me. While you're at that gunshow maybe you could get a Ruger then. Or a Freedom.

CJ Journigan

love it

love my rough rider. ran many boxes of shells through it and no problems.

i seen on another thread you are looking for a personal shooting instructor. e-mail me, i might can help you out.

BFBoy

I used to have a Ruger single six, until some SOB decided to steal it. It was one of the first new models Serial #00604. I remember it being quite accurate, in both the .22lr and .22 Mag. The 5-1/2" barrel balanced nicely. Fit and finish was excellent, too.

Anyway, after reading all the posts about the Heritage Arms Rough Rider, and the admonishments, from some, to buy a Ruger, instead, I decided to see what the RR looked like compared to the Single six.
My LGS has the Heritage on sale, so I paid them a visit. Sale price for the .22lr/.22mag is $119.95. They were out of stock, so I said let me look at the Single six. He first showed me a 4-5/8" model. The gun looked very nice, but the grips were abominable. The finish was good, but the fit stunk. There were sharp feeling edges to the right stock, and the left one was radiused too much on the bottom so it didn't fit right on the frame. The top section of each stock was too thick for the profile of the steel grip section, and both were too large for the grip frame.
I handed it back to him, and asked to see the Stainless 5-1/2" model. While the stock fit better, it still left a lot to be desired. I was disappointed, to say the least. Cost of the two guns, Blued 4-5/8": $339.95, and the Stainless $379.
I think I'll wait to see the Rough Rider. For about a third of the price of the Ruger, it's worth looking at.

rugerdude

I am interested in the RR as well after shooting my stepdad's old smith and wesson .22 K-frame. I like the price and since I'm not a serious pistol shooter, I figure it would be a good plinker. I have to ask about the safety someone mentioned earlier, what is the deal with it?

I figure the RR is kind of like Hi-point. Yes, they are very cheap and may not look as good or feel as good as the more expensive alternatives, but they work. Besides, looks aren't that important to me because every handgun looks the same......a front post inside of a rear notch.;)

454c

The safety is on the frame, opposite the loading gate( left side). Flip it one way for "ON", the other way for "OFF". IIRC, you had to flip the safety on to load and unload. Very annoying if your used to a traditional SA.

.22 shooter

i bought one of the steel frame .22 from heritage and was very happy with it,it's a good gun for plinking,but get the steel frame,you'll be much happier,cost about $180,but its all good