Heritage Manufacturing Inc. -- Rough Rider

allenomics

Does anyone know anything about the reputation, craftsmanship and price/value of "Heritage Manufacturing" revolvers? One line it makes is called "Rough Rider."

Thank you.

bigghoss

if you want a cheap convertable then buy it, I have one and love it. if you can try to get the model with adjustable sights if you really want to hit anything. I have the fixed "sights" and can't hardly hit anything. but I still love shooting that thing.

dustoff

I love mine, I have never had a problem with it. Mine has fixed sights and like Don I am only accurate out to about 20 or 25 yards but it sure is fun to shoot.

DonR101395

Junk, buy a Ruger...

WildsorryguysAlaska

Why would I spend close to $300 to shoot tin cans when I can do it for $125?
I don't think anyone has the illusion that it is as good a quality as a Ruger, but it's just as fun.

gopack

I have, and prefer from the gunshop "feel" test, the Single Six. Great shooting, solidly built revolver. The Rough Rider is about half the price of the Ruger. If it works well, then you have something you like at half the price of the Ruger. If you don't like it, then you are out half the money you would have spent on a Ruger. Seems that most of the folks who actually own Heritage .22 revolvers like them and most of the folks who trash them, don't own them.

pinestraw

Heritage Rough Rider

Have both Rough Rider and Ruger. RR in 17HMR. and Ruger is 22/22M. Both
are fun to shoot. Ruger more polished appearance, and more accurate, but
for plinking, difference not noticeable. In the 17HMR, the RR is accurate;
and the Ruger in 22M is equally accurate.

22-rimfire

My first 22 revolver was a H&R 999. I bring it up because it is in the same catagory of handguns as the Rough Rider. All I can say is there are a lot of people who like that revolver, but I found it to be of low overall quality. You get what you pay for. Those that have the Rough Rider and enjoy them, more power to you. I personally would not waste the money on one. I would spend the extra money and get the Ruger Single Six if you want an inexpensive single action 22 revolver which will provide a lifetime of good service.

I think you're better off buying a double action 22 revolver for the long haul and I would choose a Smith or Taurus from the currently manufactured models that are available. They are easier to load, faster, tend to be accurate, and the double action capability makes plinking more fun.

wayneinFL

I had one. It was accurate if and when it went bang. The firing pin kept deforming. It was soft- aluminum, I think. I replaced it every 300-400 rounds. That was every two or three trips to the range for me.

That kind of took the "fun" out of it.

I gave it away.

One of these days, I'm getting a Ruger. If I hadn't wasted my money on a R.R. I'd be halfway there.

utrvp

Alloy or steel frame?

I have a Ruger Single Six but ordered a Heritage RR in alloy frame as a second gun. It will be used mainly for when I take my grandaughter shooting and as a loaner for friends. I didn't realize when I ordered there was an option. Do you think this will be a problem in the long run? Should I have gotten the steel frame? This gun most likely won't see real heavy use. Maybe a 1000-2000 rounds a year at most.

UniversalFrost

Just wandered upon this thread and thought I would share my 2 cents.

I agree with Wildalaska that the Rough Rider is a lot cheaper and rougher quality that a Ruger.

With that said, I would also say go get yourself a rough rider in 22/22mag!!

I bought a 6.5" model as an impluse buy at my gunsmith when I was picking up my last Bushy M4. The price of 140 was perfect and I have shoot about 2000rds of 22lr and about 500 rds of 22 mag out the barrel with no problems. I mainly carry it with 22mag birdshot loads when I am checking fences, so I can quickly dispatch any pesky prairie rattlers that I wonder upon. The fit and finish are OK, but for 140 bucks new with a holster and both cylnders what more could you want.

38splfan

Alloy frames.

I doubt that the little rimfire rounds are gonna do much damage to the alloy frame. As long as they meet the same standards as the manufacturers of .38 Spl alloy revolvers (and I think they must) then I believe you'd be okay. For a light duty gun, they look like fun. I've been looking at the 3" birdshead grip in
.22 mag for a handy "kit gun".

allenomics

Thanks for your thoughts...

Heritage does make a good .22LR revolver, especially when you factor its price. In fact, it's a very good value and NOT junk.

What prompted my initial interest in Heritage was an Auction Arms auction NIB .22LR for a "Buy It Now" at $90.

Heritage, marketed a bit differently, targeted at segments of the sub $200 price point, could be so much more successful. But, it's not for everyone.

After doing extensive research, I decided to buy the Ruger Single Six (6.5" stainless), .22 LR /.22 WMR. It costs more, but I plan to have it and use it forever.

22-rimfire

People think because you are shooting 22's that the handgun ought to be cheap. Well, I can understand that thinking. I was definitely shopping price when I bought my first handgun and didn't understand the difference between a lower priced gun and a more expensive one; they both go bang, right? Believe me, there is a difference! Buy quality and you will be happy with it longer.

I sell off the cheap stuff eventally as I get dissatisfied with it. The cheapest handgun I own is the Ruger Mark II 5.5" bull barrel 22 (MK512 if I recall my models).

Some things you just have to learn for yourself. Experience is a great thing.

I was looking for a shirt and happened to be in Wally World recently. A particular shirt caught my eye and the price was right... so I bought it. Seemed just fine to me on my first wearing. Washed it and it shrunk A LOT. Threw it in the rag pile. But QUALITY. Cheaper in the long run!

Old John

Chea-eapppp........

Well, you get what you pay for, I guess.
If you are content with a lower quality, rougher looking handgun,
that's what you ought to buy.

I had a Ruger single six & a Bearcat. My Ex took the Bearcat,
when she left. So I bought a Heritage Rough rider, because I thought
the price was better.
After about a year of medium use, the timing went out on the
Rough Rider. I took it to a couple local gunsmiths, for repair.
Neither would touch it. "Not worth the money to fix."
I sold it to a buddy for parts for a few dollars.

I'll always buy Ruger, Thanks.
But a guy ought to buy what he wants to.
Have Fun.