Here's an upgrade that paid for itself

Casimer

http://www.auctionarms.com/Closed/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=8548054.0

Here's an example of a modified gun that goes against the general rule of upgrades - i.e. the one that holds that you'll never get back, dollar-wise, what you put into upgrades on firearms.

This is a 25-2 that's had it's barrel shortened and set back, and its cylinder shortened. It's not a common modification. The work appears to have been done properly. I'd have bid on this revolver but the price was already to high to take a risk seeing as I couldn't inspect it.

The final price was $957 - which is higher than most unmodified 25-2s from this era and much higher than one in the condition of this one.

* I'd agree that in 95% of cases upgrades and customizations are not recouped.

JB Books

Don't care for the pistol, but the guys selling it are a pleasure to deal with. I have purchased several firearms from them and they are very professional.

Casimer

Aside from it's looks, setting back the barrel and shortening the cylinder are intended to improve accuracy while lightening the DA pull. I've come across a few PPC revolvers that had been modified in this way. It may be expensive to have this done, if you can find someone who can do it properly - perhaps this explains the price.

I have purchased several firearms from them and they are very professional.

I'd called these guys and they were very helpful - gave me a very detailed description and tested various rounds in the cylinder to determine what it would accept (everything including FMJ round nose)

Hammer It

Pass on that. Good luck getting their up grade money back on that one.

Hello
I have to agree and Doubt the Custom work price was ever even close to it's cost on this Gun, as Custom work of this nature runs typically well over The Thousand dollar mark.. ;)I Hunted Hard for an original model 25-2 for better than Five years and over hundreds of gun shows only to come up empty handed. :( In my hunt I did encounter one Beast that had been Modified like this from the late great gun Builder Austin Beleart. It was a Jewel, but after a gun has had this type of Modification it no Longer holds any collector interest and if the buyer is not sure who did the work or if it improved the performance of the weapon you have a modified gun that holds no current market price value. Bid war's often drive prices way past what a gun is worth and I would rather pay for top notch original Factory quality that will increase over time like this Unfired model 25-2 I bought recently. I paid $795.00 for it and it came with it's original Presentation case, tools and paperwork. The Original Walter Roper custom Grips were added shortly after I bought it, and date back around the mid 1930's Time frame. They are the most Comfortable set of grips I have ever had on any revolver and they too are very hard to locate. I have no desire to ever sell it after such a Long search, but if I did I know I could recoup all I Paid for it then some as these are getting very hard to locate in unfired condition. I have fired it and it wears out the ten ring of a target in it's original Factory form, so I see no Sense in modifying a Proven design:confused:... Hammer it

25-2_Roper_s_Left_View.jpg

25-2_Ropers_Right_View.jpg

25-2_in_presentation_Case1.jpg

Dave85

I understand the idea of getting better accuracy and performance out of the .45 ACP in a revolver that is shorter overall, and it is an interesting concept. I wouldn't pay that much for that solution myself, but somebody felt differently. Unless there is a story behind it which we do not know, I think the seller got lucky.

BTW, is it just me, or does it look like a big starter pistol?

Casimer

Unless there is a story behind it which we do not know, I think the seller got lucky.

That's what I'm wondering. Like HammerIt had mentioned Austin Beleart had apparently done this sort of work along with a few other high-end gunsmiths. But I'm not sure of who still does - possibly Jim Stroh?

There are people who collect guns that Beleart had worked on. If it's one of his, this might explain the price.

PotatoJudge

I think the mods make a lot of sense. It's lighter, will have a better trigger, is shorter overall for a given barrel length and should be more accurate. I don't care if it's ugly (I don't think it is) because the design is functional. S&W recently came out with a similar gun only with a shorter barrel marketed toward the CCW market.

Still, I wouldn't buy it for that price. Maybe $600 if I was in the market.

Hammer It

Hello Casimer
Austin Beleart was well known in the shooters crowd to build one of the Slickest smoothest actions bar none. There was also a New Your Based firm Called Jovino and I have fired one of John Jovinos .45 ACP creations. He was well known to add the detent ball in the crane, shorten the cylinder and lengthen the forcing cones of his revolvers along with Taking them from a square frame configuration to a round butt confiiuration. very Radical for the times, yet effective and accurate. these guns are heavily sought after now, and Often bring in the Neighborhood of well over a Grand when seen...;) Hammer It

20nickels

Pinnacle Guns does these sort of mods. See pics;
http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/revolver_gallery.asp

And less expensive than one might think. Aside from maybe some gained accuracy and lighter cyl. weight equaling better trigger pull you also get 10% more velocity. Sure, it looks like a starter pistol on steroids, but in a world of some goofy looking competition guns she's a peach. :)

gary@r&g

I kind of liked it but dropped out in the $500 range.

Hammer it (Kurt is that you??) its Behlert not Beleart. Austin F. Behlert.

Gary

kamerer

I agree with Gary, I'd have been into that auction up into the $500 range. While not super attractive, a 3" or 3.5" N frame in .45acp is very desirable to me, and that work was superbly done. There's a trade-off in aesthetics for better performance, but the original owner must have really cared about that, and that's interesting. Perhaps the buyer knew specifically that it was some famous gunsmith's work - like Behlert, et al. From my customizing experience (limited), I'd expect that modification to run about, hmm - $300 I'd estimate, +/- $50 or so.

And I'll also re-iterate the kudos for Rettting. I bought a Government Model from them last year and it was a great gun, as good or better than described, and they were super easy to deal with. I notice their auctions tend to get premiums, too, since people know their reputation. Also, they bring in good guns for auction.

My one regret about buying from there (CA in general) is the CA laws - and that most of their nice used guns are on the way out of the state and it's screwing the gun collectors of CA (the laws, not Retting - they are just caught in the middle).