Henry Lever Action .22 Magnum

tube_ee

Umm... it's a 22 WMR levergun.

That just sez all-day-packin' small game and varmint rifle to me.

So, lotsa people put up info that sez "if'n ya aim at somethin' inside o' 50-75 yards, yer gunna hit it"...

And somehow that's not good enough?

Color me confused.

--Shannon

PS: If you "hate the .22 Magnum"... you've probably never owned one.

Dingoboyx

I haven't got/had a Henry

But the ones I have checked out at gunshops look and feel great, everything I have heard about Henry leverguns has been very positive :D

j.chappell

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have always been a bolt and falling block fan but thought about getting a lever to play around with at the range and in the field.

Now to scope it or not to scope it, that is the questions. I see reasons for both and will just have to decide that as I go.

Thanks,

J.

cornbush

My brother has one in 22lr and it shoots great. I have a buddy in Idaho who has one in 22mag and it shoots just as good. It will put 10 rounds into half an inch at 50 yards with a good rest. He used it a few years ago to shoot a 190 pound kitty, one shot at about 12 feet.:D They look nice too, sounds like a winner. If I didn't have the niche filled already I'd buy one.

Jekyll

Here's the shot you asked for Mr. Killkenny. It is a measured, 3-shot group of .475 inches off a sandbag rest at 50 yards. This was shot using the factory open sights from a bench with a sand bag under just the front end and the buttstock shouldered. Ammo was Fedreral 36 grain HP. All the other holes were from other guns, shooters and activities but I shot the center group for you.

I'm sure the gun would shoot even better with a good scope and a full mechanical rest. Also, I think most folks would agree this is a good group for a lever .22; it is sub-MOA.

Henry22groupusingfederal36gr.jpg

surg_res

Recently bought a 22LR blued w/ the slightly heavier octagonal barrel and better sights. I'd recommend the $50 upgrade to get the better sights. The irons include a gold bead front plus a clover-leaf rear with adjustable white diamond and fine notch. The bottom-line sights looked quite rough, w/ black plastic blocks. At 100 yards, I was layering 16 shot groups into a 6" square, without much concentration.

I'm now a Henry fan, hope that their 30-30s get up to snuff in the next few years so that I can eventually try one.

L_Killkenny

Good Shooting Jekll. That's what I'm talking about. Just a thought about the stringing. I don't know how the shots worked out (random, lowest first or highest first) but you may have a one hole gun there with very little work. Definetly good shooting.

LK