Henry Lever Action .22 Magnum

dalegribble

i have a blued model henry large loop lever in 22 cal. it is very accurate, light and handy to use. i would be interested in hearing about the henry golden, i would think its a step up from the blue.

Jekyll

Well, I took mine to the range last week and shot a 2 inch, 15 shot, rapid fire group at 50 yards, off hand.

I think it is very accurate and is by far the most fun of any gun I've ever owned. It is very solid and fast to employ. I had a Win 9422 in the past but I like the Henry better.

I'm sorry, I missread the OP. Mine is .22LR, not Mag.

j.chappell

Try here, plenty of Henry talk.

Thanks Mike I'll have to check it out.

i have a blued model henry large loop lever in 22 cal. it is very accurate, light and handy to use.

22LR? I am looking for information on their 22 Magnums but will take all I can get. When you say accurate what do "you" consider accurate?

Well, I took mine to the range last week and shot a 2 inch, 15 shot, rapid fire group at 50 yards, off hand.

I think it is very accurate and is by far the most fun of any gun I've ever owned. It is very solid and fast to employ. I had a Win 9422 in the past but I like the Henry better.

I'm sorry, I missread the OP. Mine is .22LR, not Mag.

No problem, I'll take all the information I can get. I had a Browning lever action 22 before and didn’t like it one bit. I am looking for a 22 Magnum and thought I might try out a Henry for about half the cost of a Winchester.

J.

PetahW

Henry, Winchester JHP's/ 50yds/issue open sights:
[JMO, but it's a terrible rifle]

Dynapoints.jpg

[Terribly accurate for a levergun, terribly pretty, and terribly inexpensive, to boot !]

Huntzalittle

Just yesterday I "plinked" a skunk at about 50 yards with mine. I got a 3-9 power scope on it that is handy for my old eyes. I keep it just inside the doorway for just such occasions. Always been accurate enough for the varmits in my area. :)

L_Killkenny

Ya know I've was very interested in this thread when it started but I'm still waiting for someone to show up and give some dang numbers.

Come on now. The guy asked about accuracy and he gets jack. Saying it is accurate, saying that you shot a skunk with it or showing an unmeasured target shot with crappy open sights, or talking about rapid fire 15 shots offhand groups gives us ZERO info. Saying a gun is accurate is VERY subjective and not worth a hill of beans.

There's got to be someone out there that has taken this gun to the range and actually measured groups!

RDak

I shot it outside a couple of times but was aiming at plastic bottles/cans. Hit the bottle/can everytime at about 50 yards. Shot it about 50 times into bottles and old cans. I don't remember ever missing a bottle/can. The rifle just plain shot where I aimed the iron sights.

At the indoor range, at 25 yards, I hit the same hole, or "nicked" the same hole quite a few times. No group was over one and one half inch. Well, one group was about 2 inches because I flinched.

For me, the Henry .22 magnum shot extremely well. I am not a great shot but this rifle made me think I was. :)

Edit: I have only shot the rifle offhand using iron sights.

Last edited:

Waterengineer

EDak says: "I have only shot the rifle offhand using iron sights."

As well you should - as this is the ONLY way to shoot this gun if you ask me.

PetahW

[L.Killkenny Says:"I'm still waiting for someone to show up and give some dang numbers. Come on now. The guy asked about accuracy and he gets jack, showing an unmeasured target shot with crappy open sights"]

Well.............. As far as "numbers" & "unmeasured targets" go, the rings on bullseye targets have been spaced 1" apart for maybe 100 years, now - and many folks, like myself, shoot with "crappy open sights" because they'd rather challenge themselves, than use a crutch.

bbqbob51

Don't have a .22 mag but Rocky my brother in law and I have the Henry Lever in .22lr. Very accurate and very smooth action.

L_Killkenny

EDak says: "I have only shot the rifle offhand using iron sights."

As well you should - as this is the ONLY way to shoot this gun if you ask me.

Guess again. When hunting a shooter should use a support when ever possible. That does not mean using a benchrest. Every shooter should practice in field conditions. Standing, sitting, kneeling, prone, using tree's, fence posts, bipods, shooting sticks, etc. Yes one should practice off-hand too. But it should only be used if all other possibilities are exhausted. Which, BTW, is almost never.

The accuracy of a rifle can only be determined by shooting that gun from a solid rest. Even better with quality optics. Rimfires also need ammo testing to see which ammo it likes. Just as centerfires should have different loads tested. After that shoot anyway you want. But until that is done you CAN NOT judge the accuracy of the rifle. Groups are measured in inches (or fractions of) not in beer cans.

Take RDak's groups: 1 1/2" is awful for a gun at 25 yards(not to be confused with shooter). He was standing and shooting offhand. Were the groups large because the gun is bad or was it becasue he was shooting offhand? Maybe he is a great offhand shot and the 1 1/2" groups are close to the best the gun could do. Maybe the gun is very accurate and he's a "common man" when it comes to shooting offhand. No one can answer this and it has no bearing on the potential accuracy of the gun.

I was researching the same subject on RimfireCentral a couple days BEFORE this post hit the board and know that the info the OP seeks isn't readily available over there. I looked for an hour or so. But if the OP went and posted the same question over there he'd get the answer to his question. More than likely with pics and measurements written on the target.

PetahW: your info was the closest to "good" info. Was that from a bench? You din't say. And not everyone is versed in the size of official targets. I shoot all the time and had no idea if the center bull in your pic was 1/2" or 1". 1000's of different targets out there. That's generally why you see targets posted with measurements on em or with a quater or nickel laying on the target.

Last edited:

Jekyll

OK, Mr. K. since you didn't like my answer of shooting a 2 inch, 15 shot group at 50 yards, rapid fire, off hand, lets disect what I said.

1. I said it shot a 2 inch group at 50 yards. This is a measured group but, I'm sorry I didn't expect I would need a picture from a fun shoot and have it entered as exhibit A. That's a measured target. Nuff said to satisfy your point. If I can shoot a rapid fire, off-hand group of 2 inches, then it is a pretty safe bet I can shoot better from a rest under slow fire.

2. I said it was rapid fire and off hand group. I tend to think a 15 shot rapid fire target showing a 2 inch group with an open sighted lever .22 at 50 yards is a pretty darned good testament to the gun. It tells me that the gun maker hit a home run with balance, action smoothness, sights, dimensions and barrel. This is a rapid fire group with a lever which means the gun/shooter interface must be able of acquiring and staying on target while the action is levered 14 times. Maybe it would help to know that was done in less than 30 seconds. Again, this talks about the capability of the gun. Yes, I'm a fair shot as well but, even a good marksman is only as good as the equipment allows. I guess I could have flinched in the opposite direction the shots drifted but 15 times?

If you want a bench rest, scoped sighted range report, maybe you should start a new thread with your specific questions. The OP seems to have been satisfied with the replies to his request for "opinions and accuracy reports".

Until then, consider spending your own money on a Henry, test it the way you desire and stop pi**ing all over the OP's thread.

Bowhunter57

j.chappell,
I recently sold one, to a relative. I have nothing but good things to say about my Henry .22 Mag. lever action rifle. :) Very smooth action, good trigger and extremely accurate.

In .22 Mag. I've owned a Marlin 882 bolt action that was tube fed, a Marlin 25MN bolt action that was magazine fed, a Taurus model 72 pump action that was tube fed and the Henry was more accurate than all of them. :cool:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

RDak

LK: The most I could find was benchrest results for the .22lr. I couldn't find anything on the .22 magnum. I remember reading in another thread years ago that the Henry results for the .22lr were at the lower end of a group of test rifles. The other rifles included rifles specifically built for benchrest competitions and the Henry averaged about 1.40" at 50 yards. The Anschultz(sp?) benchrest rifle scored best at about 1.05" IIRC.

Anyway, here's the results for the .22lr, (these results were about the same as for the thread I read years ago).

ACCURACY RESULTS (Long Rifle Cartridge)
Henry Repeating Arms .22 Levergun
Load Velocity Accuracy [*]
CCI MinMag HP 1,264 fps 1.25 [*]
CCI Standard Velocity 1,022 fps 1.375 [*]
CCI SGB 1,281 fps 1.625 [*]
CCI Blazer 1,228 Ips 1.125 [*]
Federal Classic HP 1,289 fps 1.125 [*]
Remington Yellow Jackets 1,406 fps 1.625 [*]
Winchester Power Points 1,255 fps 1.375 [*]
Winchester Wildcats 1,225 fps 1.5 [*]

Henry Repeating Arms .22 Pump Action
Load Velocity Accuracy [*]
CCI MinMag HP 1,250 fps 2.25 [*]
CCI Standard Velocity 1,009 fps 1.75 [*]
CCI SGB 1,279 fps 1.625 [*]
CCI Green Tag 1,054 fps 1.5 [*]
CCl Blazer 1,232 fps 2"
Federal Classic HP 1,279 fps 1.625 [*]
Remington Yellow Jackets 1,389 fps 1.625 [*]
Winchester Power Points 1,262 fps 1.375 [*]
Winchester High Velocity HP 1,234 fps 1.375 [*]
Winchester Wildcats 1,218 fps 1.5 [*]
(*.)Accuracy measurements are the result
of three five-shot groups at 50 yards

Last edited:

tkcomer

I have a red dot on mine. Not a good sight to use for "precision" work. Dot is too big for that. But the gun has a definite liking for the CCI V-Max bullets over anything else I've put through it.