Henry all weather 45 70

oldbear1950

I am acquiring a Henry 45 70, all weather, with loading gate, and 18 inch barrel, any of you have any working knowledge with this rifle?

Lurch37

I have the older version without the side loading gate. It is a fine shooter when I do my part, very well made and a solid rifle. I added the larger lever handle to mine but I imagine yours already has that.

oldbear1950

tried to upload a picture, but it would not upload, go to Henry and look at the all weather, brushed chrome, 18 inch barrel, with loading gate.
I think looks very much like one of the new Ruger built Marlin guide guns

44 AMP

Staff
While trying to avoid being trampled or gored by a herd of running bulls is certainly thrilling (assuming you survive) I wouldn't call it a "sport". :rolleyes:

Some people have been hunting the Big 5 in Africa since pointed sticks were cutting edge technology. Done right, a .45-70 will do the job. Done wrong, it could be your last hunt. :eek::rolleyes:

oldbear1950

Yeah, and two cartridge companies come to mind with awesome 45 70 loads, GARRETT out of Texas, and BUFFALO BORE, both with some really awesome loads for hunting dangerous game. I had a Marlin 45 70 when I was stationed in Alaska, for big brownie (bears) that is, and never felt undergunned.

Lurch37

and like the Marlin guide guns, some are already hunting the big 5 in Africa with it.

I've been waiting for one of the Ruger/Marlins SBL's to show up at my LGS for quite awhile as I think they are very nice rifles as well. Hopefully one day one will show up.

eastbank

i liked the early savage ad that claimed the savage 99 in .22 hi-power was good for india bengel tigers, if you read the very small print at the bottom of the ad, it said have names of next of kin to be notified, up date your will, have a large back up rifle with a good shot carrying it, and where to send any body parts that may be found in the tiger poop.

44 AMP

Staff
if you read the very small print at the bottom of the ad, it said have names of next of kin to be notified, up date your will, have a large back up rifle with a good shot carrying it, and where to send any body parts that may be found in the tiger poop.

While it is certainly prudent advice, Savage never said anything like that in their ads. If you've seen such in a Savage .22 Hi Power ad, its something someone made up to be funny. Not something actually from Savage.

Savage said the round was designed to shoot predators, such as fox, coyote and wolf, etc... They said it was good for game up to deer and black bear. They never recommended it for anything bigger. They did, however state that one guy had taken a Tiger with it. But they didn't actually recommend it for Tiger or large game.

Adventurer 2

I own a Henry Big Boy X in 44 Magnum -- so not the same (and i couldn't take trigger time with a 45/70). I like that Henry levers don't have a manually operated safety. It is nice having tube and side gate options for loading. The sights on the Big Boy X are easy to work with -- can remove the rear sight with a small screwdriver. Also putting a rail on for scope or dot would probably take a minute -- all good things.

oldbear1950

I picked up my new Henry all weather, loading gate, brushed chrome, 18 inch barrel, 45 70 carbine yesterday. I can't wait to take it out for a shooting session.
And it weighs about the same as the 22 inch barreled rifle I had.

44caliberkid

A few months ago I saw an article (American Rifleman maybe) about the Savage 22 Hi Power being used for tigers or African game. The story originated with an over seas missionary, who decided he needed a gun for hunting and protection. He asked his HQ for a gun, and someone sent him a Savage 99 22 Hi Power. He used it for everything since it was the only rifle he had. He never claimed it was always a one shot kill, but he killed a lot of large animals with it.

Buckeye!

I’ve owned just about every configuration of Marlin 1895 45/70 .. cept the 16in Trapper Model .. never owned any Henry .. but I have shot the Model of Henry you are referencing ..18,5 inch barrel , hard chromed , scout rail with peep sight … that is one of finest big bore leverguns I ever handled … tight , fit and finish, smooth action, good trigger …the loading tube is fantastic… quick unloading .. Im out of the 45-70 business.. but if I was going to get back in it .. that would be my pick … not a second thought

oldbear1950

and the one I have has the new or so called new one with the loading gate, best of both worlds, loading gate and magazine tube loading and unloading.

oldbear1950

range time

Took my new Henry all weather, loading gate, 45-70 and my new Rossi 38/357 to the range last week and all went very well. I a box of 45-70s I loaded the last time I was stationed in Kodiak, Alaska, back in 1983, and they fired perfectly. Have to be honest, I did not know if reloads would still be good from that long ago.

44 AMP

Staff
Have to be honest, I did not know if reloads would still be good from that long ago.

If they were made right to begin with, and are stored properly, they will last longer than you do. :D