Help with "larger" .380s - what's available - not for CCW

cheezhed

Both the Beretta and the Browning are fantastic looking guns. I would like to have one of each just based on the looks alone.

JettaRed

If you go back to Bersa, look at the Thunder 380 Combat. Essentially a standard Thunder 380 with OD wrap around grips, combat sights, and comes with TWO 8- round magazines, all for $300. (Damn! I want to go get one every time I tell someone that.) If you don't like green grips, swap them out for black ones.

Thunder-Cmbt-380-mat-L-fram.jpg

Last edited:

hemiram

IMHO, it's pretty near impossible to top the Beretta 84 or the Browning BDA for both looks and function. Just about perfect, in every way but price. I hope I never have to see either one of mine.

vulcan73

Tristar C-100

I acquired a Tristar C-100 in 380 Auto for range shooting and highly recommend it. It is made by Canik55 in Turkey and is a well done clone of the compact CZ 9mm, in fact, I'm close to getting a second C-100 but in 9mm.

Full disclosure: I had to tune the ejector on the C-100 so it would reliably feed. The round coming up from the magazine would catch on a sharp corner of the ejector and prevent the round from chambering. Once I got that sharp corner smoothed out, she has fed, fired and ejected countless rounds perfectly.

I was originally looking for a new Beretta 84 but they discontinued marketing the gun and I did not want to go through an on-line sale for either new or used.

Re-Bersa...I have a model 85 which is a steel framed earlier version (vintage late 80's) of the current Thunder 380 Plus. The Bersa is one terrific medium frame 380 which doubles as a range gun or as an occasional carry. I also have a Bersa Thunder UC is both 9mm and 40 S&W. Bersa guns are arguably the most bang for the buck out there. I know of a Thunder UC in 45ACP becoming available locally in February (pawn shop 30 day hold) and will probably get that piece.

Last edited:

vulcan73

I did some filing (very carefully) at the sharp corner so it was rounded. It took two attempts before I got it so it would feed. After the first attempt, it clearly improved but still had some jams so I went home and did more smoothing and went back to the range and that solved the feed problem. I have since checked all my semi-autos and noticed that they were "factory" tuned so to speak.

I can't believe that it would have worn in by use in any reasonable amount of time as it was steel versus brass.

vulcan73

I acquired my large frame Tristar C-100 in 380 Auto so my shooting (and motorcycling riding) partner could handle the recoil. My buddy is a 67 year old grandma who says she weighs 120 pounds. She struggles to hang on to my CZ75 in 9mm and Norinco 1911 in 45ACP so I got the large framed C-100 for her use.

Luger_carbine

Arthritis, weakness in hands from injury or stroke, or similar circumstances.

For those people the 380 AUTO cartridge in a large frame offers advantages in controllability over the 9mm.

Usually the force required to cycle a slide on a 380 AUTO is not as great as 9mm semi-autos.

The 380 ACP cartridge gets a slight boost in terminal ballistics performance out of a longer barreled gun versus the "mouse-guns" / pocket 380 semi-autos. Most of the time when people are criticizing the effectiveness of the 380 ACP they're using data produced by 3" barrels.

Given the starting premise that a person can't use a more powerful cartridge, the 380 AUTO out of a longer barreled, larger framed gun is not as bad a self defense option as some people might make it out to be.

jimbob86

Usually the force required to cycle a slide on a 380 AUTO is not as great as 9mm semi-autos.

I was thinking that straight blowback operated guns (most .380's) needed heavier springs and slides than delayed blowback guns .... would not heavier springs make for harder racking?

Luger_carbine

Right, some of the larger 380 do use direct blowback, but some of them are using locked breach, and the Beretta 86 had a tip-up barrel that could be used to load the first round.

jimbob86

the Beretta 86 had a tip-up barrel that could be used to load the first round.

No longer made .... and hard to find used, too.

I wanted one .....

The 86 is blowback just like all the other 80 series .....

carguychris

Luger_carbine said:
For those people the 380 AUTO cartridge in a large frame offers advantages in controllability over the 9mm... Usually the force required to cycle a slide on a 380 AUTO is not as great as 9mm semi-autos.
Not if it's an unlocked-breech blowback, and most of the pistols being discussed are blowback- the Walther PP series, the Beretta 84/85, the Astras, the Browning BDA, the Bersas, the CZ 83, and the SIG P230/232. I love the Beretta 84, but of all the semi-autos I own, my 84 has the hardest slide to operate- hands down. It also has very snappy recoil characteristics, as do the other fixed-barrel .380's I've fired.

The Beretta 86 has a unique feature that sidesteps the slide force issue: a tip-up barrel. However, this doesn't necessarily address the recoil. I've never fired one, but I can't imagine it feels any different than the otherwise very similar 85.

Only a few larger .380s feature locked-breech operation: the PK380, the C-100, and the aforementioned Stars. (Locked-breech operation is commonly used on subcompact .380 pocket guns, but those aren't being discussed here.)

Also, I thought of another possible contender: a commercial .380 Makarov. These were normally marked IJ-70 and were sold under a variety of brand names, including IMEZ, Izhmash, Baikal, Big Bear Arms, and KBI. One major plus is that they take the same magazine as the military 9x18 Maks. :) (There's basically only one single-stack Makarov magazine design, regardless of whether the pistol is 9x18 or .380, and commercial or military.)

bedbugbilly

Thank you all for your great information and help! I have only owned one .380 and that was a number of years ago. I didn't realize there were as many "larger" .380s out there. I've made a list and will now start looking to see what I can scare up.

born2climb . . . hmmmm .. . everyone is entitled to their own opinions and you are certainly entitled to yours. I didn't post this to start a debate over the .380 cartridge and the size of handguns. . . I posted it to find out some information on what is available in larger size .380s. Using your logic about calibers and size of pistols . . . then there should be no reason for anyone to want or own a .22 pistol that isn't a small frame . . . but the MK I, II and III have been a popular seller for years as well as the 1911-22s and others. I guess it would be a good discussion post to see if the size of a handgun should correlate to the size of the bullet it shoots . . . ?

If you will go back and read my original post - you'll see that I have a friend who is older that wants to shoot his .380 BG. I'd like to have a .380 to shoot with him but have no desire to have a itty bitty .380. I have plenty of 9mm, 38/357, etc. that I could shoot. I want a .380 so that I can reload and give this gentleman someone to go shooting with. I already reload a number of pistol calibers and have the equipment. I have a bunch of .380 brass. For a minor investment in a die set, cartridge gauge and bullet mold - I can easily have more than enough .380 ammo for both of us to shoot - and at a heck of a lot less per round than buying it at the gun store.

Sometimes shooting isn't all about "how big of a gun you shoot or what the bore size is". If that is what is important to you - fine, go for it. I enjoy reloading almost as much as shooting and adding another caliber to the mix just makes it more fun. In fact . . . at some point I'd like to reload .32 and .25ACP as well . . and have a pistol of each caliber to shoot them out of. They are much more of a challenge to reload due to their size. Would I carry one for my CCW - nope. But then I wouldn't carry a .22 either and I enjoy shooting those as well.

Shooting, reloading, etc are hobbies . . . everybody likes different things and everyone has their reasons. In reality, I don't "need" a .380 . . . but if having one and reloading for one is a way that I can get an older friend out shooting and keep him active and interested . . . well . . . there are more important things in life than worrying about "how big of a gun" we are using. I have been shooting for 50 years - pistols, rifles, shotguns and even full sized Civil War artillery - personally, I've never questioned what someone else was shooting or why . . . I just enjoyed the fact that it was nice to enjoy the friendship of others who enjoyed the same hobby.

Thank you all again for your suggestions, photos and experiences witht he different makes/models. You've provided me with a great list of larger .380s to look at and consider. Now the hunt begins! :)