Help with "larger" .380s - what's available - not for CCW

bedbugbilly

A strange request I'm sure since most want to know the "smallest" .380 for CCW - BUT - I'm starting to look for a decent .380 that is "larger" and not over the top price wise. I have a friend who is older (early 80's) who bought himself a S & W 380 Bodyguard. I took another shooting class with him so he'd have someone to go with - he likes his BG and would shoot more if ammo wasn't so expensive. I'd like to get him out more to shoot.

I reload 38/357 and 9mm now so I'm going to get set up to reload .380 as well. I will add that I cast my own bullets and will be using lead. I will be working up a target load that will cycle and work in his BG. I used to have a Bersa .380 CC Thunder - got rid of it and don't have a .380 at this time. I'd like to pick up a .380 - not for CC but just for "plinking" with my friend. Not "hot loads" - just a load that will cycle well and work OK for shorter ranges - paper and pop cans. But, I want something that is larger in size and fun to shoot - that is a decent and reliable shooter but not over the top in price. I'm thinking around $400 or less. I have just started looking and really am not sure what is out there. So . . . any suggestions?

I have had experience with Bersa - have no problems with them and they are in the price range. I believe they have a larger size .380, but, I'm not "married" to Bersa either.

I ran across the Walther PK380 - looks larger (in the photo and description) and it appears in my price range - ratings seem to be good. But, I have no experience with Walther nor this model.

So . . . are there other .380s out there that are "larger" (as compared to the LCP, etc.) that are reliable, decent shooters (for plinking) and not hard on the hand in the $400 or less price range? I know there are Sigs, etc. but I don't want to put $600 or so in to something that I am just going to plink with.

Suggestions? Thanks much!

boykinhntr

It's hard to beat a Sig P230 and I see them often for $350 at my gun shop. Used of course... If not the Bersa might not be sexy buy they got that model down!

carguychris

I concur with the earlier suggestions. Here are some more:

The Walther PP, the larger predecessor of the PPK and PPK/S. This pistol has been off the US market for several decades now, and collector interest has driven up the prices of Nazi-era and postwar West German examples; however, a 1980's Manurhin or a somewhat ugly German-made "shooter" could fit your budget. Plus, the DA trigger tends to be heavier than the other pistols mentioned.

The Star S-series: S, SS, and Super S. These pistols look and feel a lot like a 7/8-scale model of an M1911, although they incorporate several characteristic Star departures from the M1911 design, namely an external extractor, a pivoting trigger, mag disconnects on the SS and Super, and barrel cam lockup on the Super (the S and SS use 1911-style pivoting-link lockup). They're very well-made pistols that are reasonably inexpensive. Along with the PK380, they're one of the very few larger .380 designs that's locked-breech, giving them less harsh recoil and lower slide operating force than a typical fixed-barrel .380. The main issue with these pistols is that Star has been out of business for nearly 2 decades, and the parts supply is steadily dwindling.

FWIW I really dislike the PK380 for reasons I've discussed in several past threads. In the plus column, it's inexpensive and reasonably accurate, it has really good ergonomics, a very nice trigger, VERY low felt recoil (locked-breech), VERY low slide force (ditto), and nice sights. However, the one I fired was a jam-o-matic; most examples don't have very nice fit-and-finish (although they're roughly on par with the Bersa); takedown requires a small and easy-to-lose proprietary plastic tool; and lastly, I REALLY, REALLY dislike the fact that the hammer will drop against the engaged safety when the trigger is pulled.

Waspinator

You can look for a Taurus PT-58 (a Beretta 84 clone). I had a chance, recently, to handle one, but I didn't buy it because it came with no mags... In CT they wont sell it with the 12-round magazines (10 round limit now in CT).

Was a fantastic gun.. I even try to find some 10-round mags online, but couldn't.. so I let it pass. Went back a week later and they sold it online through gunsamerica.

It was mint condition and only $250. Too bad :(

Kev

There is another similar thread running

The Beretta 84 is a great gun, the Taurus copy would also be a consideration
I just picked up this Astra A60 for under $200
13 shot and am eager to get the call from my FFL that it's here
null_zpse617b901.jpg

null_zps28bc307a.jpg

Take a look at the Astra constable (single stack) if more than 10 rounds scare your lawmakers
Also llama made some mid sized 380s

blchandl2

ATI MS380 is a copy of the Beretta 84. I have one and am very pleased with it. TriStar makes a .380 (C-100?) that looks like compact CZ.

carguychris

Kev said:
I just picked up this Astra A60 for under $200
13 shot and am eager to get the call from my FFL that it's here
I forgot about the Astras! Good call. :) I've never fired one, but FWIW one of my former coworkers had once owned a Constable, which is a single-stack pistol somewhat similar to the A-60, and he had nothing but good things to say about it.
blchandl2 said:
TriStar makes a .380 (C-100?) that looks like compact CZ.
Word on the street is that TriStar is no longer importing the C-series .380's to the USA. However, I can't vouch for this.

Kev

"I forgot about the Astras! Good call. I've never fired one, but FWIW one of my former coworkers had once owned a Constable, which is a single-stack pistol somewhat similar to the A-60, and he had nothing but good things to say about it"

Yep...the Constable is exactly the same, except for the single stack mag.

To the OP

Go to this awesome everything in one place web search tool
Www.gunwatcher.com

blchandl2

To carguychris,

Yes it appears the .380 version of the C-100 is no longer imported. It has been removed from Tristar's web page. I am afraid the ATI MS380 may be done as well.

pelo801

There is the cz83. Good gun, I'm sure. I don't have any experience with it but I do have a cz82 which I'm pretty sure is about the same. There's always the walther PK380. I've found it to be a really soft shooter and naturally accurate for me. The jury's still out on the questionable quality of materials as I have less than 500 rounds through mine.

BusGunner007

Beretta 84 or Browning BDA ( made by Beretta... ).

Real nice version of the 84, nickel finish/wood grips:
beretta84fnickel009.jpg

Similar version of the BDA:
bda-l.jpg

Chuck Dye

Colt's Pocket Hammerless got the "Pocket" in a time when pockets were a great deal larger than they are today. I have the 1903 in .32ACP and love everything about it but the miniscule sights and the cost of factory ammo. Upgrade the sights on a 1908 (beater) and enjoy!

Last edited:

PSP

If you are familiar with the Bersa line, the Thunder Plus may be just what you're looking for. Essentially a double stack Thunder and they can be had for under $400. The 15 round mag makes range time fun. The grip is better than a regular Thunder, otherwise they are the same.

The Beretta 84 is another excellent choice but more expensive.