Help me with my first .308

T.A.Sharps

700 5R Milspec

Google the "700 5R Milspec". Only available in 308, and accuracy is what you are looking for priced at about $1000 even. But they are limited runs so if you find one get it.

RPSmith

Hey, thanks for all the input all...

I think I'm going to pick up the Remy 700 5R milspec - thanks for the reference PPGMD and T.A.Sharps

not to hijack a post, but since it's mine to hijack...

what optics?

I'm thinking Leopold VX-III but that's only because of how I was raised. Any other suggestions in a similar vein (or something out of left field) would be appreciated.

Thanks, RP

benny27

scopes

Definately nothing wrong with Leupold, I would also check out Burris, Simmons, and if you've really got the cash Swarovski.
I would say by the time you get a quality rifle, scope, and spotting scope not to mention ammo and range time you're looking at 1,500 to 2000 dollars.
Man, shooting is an expensive hobby, but then again what isn't...:eek:

mosinfanatic

remington sps varmint with 26" heavy barrel, free float the barrell and have the trigger lightened. but remember you are going to need a resonable scope.

RPSmith

Thanks Benny, but...

I don't have a Swarovski wallet.

I think I'd have to peg the high price point of my optics at $600.

tINY

For $600 You can get a Buris Black diamond with a paralax adjustment. You could get a nice Nikon or Bushnell 4200 too. It comes down to taste.

The Leupold mark 4 is nice too, but you do pay a premium for the name.

The other way to go is the IOR Valdada route - seriously nice, crazy rugged.

Whatever you do, keep the magnification reasonable. A variable in 4-16x is fine - fixed in either 6x or 10x is probably good too. I like a little lower magnification because I don't really need to see my heartbeat or have the dispersion of the pattern fill up half the field of view.

-tINY

44 AMP

Staff
What kind of a shooter are you?

You say you aren't a 2" @500yd shooter yet, well, many of us never get there our whole lives. Others, apparently do, but not without practice. A lot of practice. And then more practice.

Lots of folks are going to be willing to telly you you need this, or that thing to get what you are looking for. I'm not. Nor am I going to tell you to buy rifle x, and then replace everything on it except the action with custom stuff. You asked for opinions, so here's mine.

The best thing for you, right now, is to get a fair rifle and scope. New, used, whatever, just don't spend a bunch of money. Spend the left over cash shooting the rifle. Learn about drop, wind doping, and everything else that goes into rifle shooting. THEN, when you have reached the point where you can shoot better than your rifle, then move up to a better rifle. Put the old one on the sale rack and move on.

A high quality rifle and scope don't make you a better shot. What they do is give you a performance edge IF you can use it. And the ammo makes a bit of difference as well. Every rifle generally has one load it shoots best. It may or may not be what you think. Serious handloading can often improve even a mediocre rifle's performance to match quality. Many rifles, even the "budget" ones can shoot better than many shooters, if you know what to do with them. And until you reach that point, all a high end gun/scope get you is something to brag about how much you spent, when what really matters is being able to brag about how well you shot.

PPGMD

The best low price optic there is period:

http://www.swfa.com/c-231-super-sniper-rifle-scopes.aspx

The Super Sniper scopes have descent glass, a mil dot reticle, and are well built. Sure they might not offer variable optics, but it's the best value in optics until you can afford something in the $1,000 range.

Variable optics are only important for tactical competition shooters, a 10x is perfect out to 600 yards, beyond that I would go out to 16-18x. My friend that can out shoot me with both hands tied behind his back uses a fixed 10x optic.

For base I suggest splurging and get a Badger 20 MOA base, buy once cry once, you won't need to buy another for the rifle again (generally the base is sold with the rifle).

For rings I would go cheaper, if you are serious you will likely be replacing the scope, but if you do splurge and get Badger rings, and you have to go to another set you won't have any trouble selling them.

Other things I suggest would be a good bipod, unless you are shooting on uneven ground I would get a Harris 1A2 6-9" with notched legs.

RPSmith

Thanks 44 AMP

That's fabulous advice. It's not that I'm trying to throw money at a challenge that requires skill, patience, and practice. I'd just like to get the best quality piece that fits my budget. I've bought less than quality pieces before and been frustrated.

Just like any other tool, I fine one is a pleasure to use and promotes more time using it. With it comes the skill to push it to the limit which is what I intend to do. I appreciate your advice and hopefully I'll out-shoot a fine piece in my lifetime.

PPGMD,

Thanks for the heads up on the bases and rings. I'll check 'em out.

T.A.Sharps

Hey RP Smith,
You will be very happy with the rifle.

On optics the best value I found, of course I wanted a military scope, was the SWFA "ss10x42M" (I think it is), they call it the Super Sniper, but there are tons of reviews on it and tests by people who are fanatical about optics. Its all aces accept the only Neg thing i heard about it is that it is no as clear as the Leupold Mark 4... but by like a hair, and that the color have less contrast in lower light.

My accutness isnt that finely tuned I guess. However the nobs I think are a little smooshy, but they got better when I tighened them down.

I got the military 3 turret 10x, they are all fixed power and mildot by the way.

The kicker is its a scope that could sell for about $700-800+ but its only 400 for the military 10x, or 300 for the 2 knob version, and the same price for the higher powers.

Other than that Leupold or Nikon are good optics, I have a Nikon Buckmaster on another rifle and the glass is very clear and bright. Not sure about the accuracy of the nobs though. My cousin had a Bushnell on his rifle and looked through my Nikon and the brightness difference was like night and day.

"I think I'm going to pick up the Remy 700 5R milspec - thanks for the reference PPGMD and T.A.Sharps

what optics?

I'm thinking Leopold VX-III but that's only because of how I was raised. Any other suggestions in a similar vein (or something out of left field) would be appreciated.

Thanks, RP"

T.A.Sharps

44AMP- "The best thing for you, right now, is to get a fair rifle and scope. New, used, whatever, just don't spend a bunch of money."

Yes Practice makes perfect, but everyone wants to tell you you dont need a rifle that accurate.

Personally, I wanted a rifle that would shoot better than I could and I could evaluate my shooting based on that.

Also, any faults in your shooting ability is only going to be amlified by a rifle that would only get 2" groups.

Plinking at the rage obviously you dont need a bench rest rifle, but I know I could use the 700 5R Milspec for almost anything. I could compete in Fclass competition, as well as hunt, "plink" or even begin to move into Benchrest.

If you want a cheap rifle that will simply shoot 100yrds, with a 1.5-2" moa just get a CZ 7.62x39 bolt action.

Chui

I think I'm going to pick up the Remy 700 5R milspec - thanks for the reference PPGMD and T.A.Sharps

what optics?

Thanks, RP

There is one at The Firing Line in Westland, Michigan. I think the price is $950 or so. Gorgeous rifle.

Check www.snipercentral.com, www.snipersparadise.com for educated/experienced opinions of the 5R Mil-Spec.

As for optics I'd steer clear of the European optics NOT because they are not superb, but because of the strength of the € vs. the "Dollar". Leupold is fine. So is Burris.

chuter

Had a CZ550 that could shoot like that all day. They are in your price range and good for your consideration in .308 Mine was from the mid 90's. Had a set trigger too. Sold off all my sporting rifles, just have battle rifles, black or NFA guns now.

RPSmith

Thanks for the info Chui and chuter

I'll check out snipercentral.com further. At first blush, it looks pretty cool. I'm almost sold on the Remy 5R milspec - it seems to be right where I need it to be.

As far as optics, I'm still looking but there is a lot out there. It seems that if I go for a name that's vetted and a set-up that works, I'd go for it.

Before I start loading my own, which type of ammo do I use to start to push that target further and further out there.

thequickad

I would recommend this one (700 with 5R barrel)

pix291992218.jpg

Excellent accuracy, very customizable and holds its value very well should you decide to sell it.

PPGMD

For ammo I use Black Hills 175 SMK, it runs about $26 a box, many also use Federal Gold Metal Match 175 SMK, the 175 SMK bullet really flies well with the 5R Milspec's barrel.

For lower priced optics you can't go wrong with Super Sniper, for $300-400 you get well built optics with a Mil Dot reticle (something you have to go to the higher priced tactical lines from many other companies). I've seen them mounted to 50s and having no issues at all.

RPSmith

Thanks for the ammo advice PPMGD. I use Black Hills in my .223 and think it's great.

I also like the call on the Super Sniper. If I can get a great scope for less than $400 I'd be a fool not to.

YukonKid

you wont be able to do that with the budget or a rifle. I agree with the others, shoot at 100 and 200 first, get proficient. Then move up to 500. If your looking for a good rifle and a good scope you will not find that accuracy under 1000. When you have more money to spend on it check out Cooper and Ed Brown rifles, extreamly accurate rifles. They will run you 2grand though...but your buying the best. if you like semis, Springfield M1-A. Most of the far distance stuff i have seen with rifles though is bolt action.