Help me with my first .308

RPSmith

I admit that I'm a newb with larger caliber rifle rounds.

I'd like a 'reach-out-and-touch-something' .308.

Before someone tries to steer this post another direction let me state emphatically that I am not interested in 30-06.

I'd like to be able to make 2" groups at 500 yards.

I'd like to keep the total price under $1000 (not including glass, of course).

I am open to all suggestions, but please limit hypothetical solutions.

Thanks for all input, RP

Fat White Boy

My first question would be, with no insult intended, is, can you shoot that well already? That is exceptional shooting for an amateur. If you haven't shot that well before, understand it may take some time to get that good. I would start with a Remington 700 variation and as you practice, you will come in to contact with people who will be able to help you in the areas where you need help. Find a shooting club in your area and talk to them....

DnPRK

2" at 500 yds is the sticking point. The rifle you want has to shoot better than 1/2 MOA. There aren't many off-the-shelf rifles that can do that without lots of TLC from an accuracy gunsmith (not your run-of-the-mill parts swapper) and serious handload development.

Your best bet is to try to find a used benchrest rifle from someone who shoots in hunter benchrest competitions. Look at B109 in the linkShooters corner

benny27

Well the .308 is capable of shooting that kind of accuracy but don't expect that kind of accuracy right out of the box with any gun. I have a Browning A bolt which is quite accurate, the Remington bolt rifles are accurate as well. Always start with quality rifles, and with a 1,000 dollars to spend it should be no problem. There are a lot of factors involved in shooting that kind of accuracy at that range such as, bullet drop, wind, flinching, the quality of scope your using, selecting the right ammo, controlling your breathing. To be honest 2 inch groups at 500yrds is pretty rare, unless you're using a lot of custom equipment and ammo with a lot of practice...good luck

RPSmith

Thanks guys...

Let me say first off that I am not a 2" at 500 yds shooter - yet.

I should have stated that more clearly in the OP. I was looking for a platform that I could get there with. I would rather get the best first than figure out down the road that what I have isn't what I want.

shooter_john

I vote Savage...
Comparatively low out-of-the-box $$$ with execellent ootb accuracy. Pre-chambered custom barrels are now available from many manufacturer's (including Shilen, A&B, EABCO, etc) and those are also quite affordable. Savage should leave you some extra cash to tinker with, or if it is like those in my safe, all you'll need is more ammo! (ok and maybe an aftermarket stock)

Oh yeah... model 10 Tactical if you want blued, 12SS if stainless is your fancy.

10-96

Are you into reloading yet? It may be just short of a miracle to get to your goal(s) with factory loads no matter what rifle you take up.

Buzzcook

'Buy a Remington 700. Throw away the barrel, stock, and trigger and you'll have the start of a good long range target rifle.'

Not sure where I first heard it but I have heard it several times. If you buy the Remington the upgrades will be more readily available.

Each manufacturer makes a target version of their popular rifles. Depending on how much money you want to spend you could stop and start with one of them.

500yds is medium range fore a good blot action. Long range starts is 800yds and up.

leadslinger07

Well if u want a rifle that is effective out to 600 yards a .22-250 or .243 would work great. IMHO .308 is not necessary for what u have described, factory ammo for the .308 is getting expensive, the recoil of a rifle in this chambering is similar to that of a 12 Guage slug, the two factors that I have listed would cut down on range time for most people. Rifles that are accurate past 700 yards are going to cost well over 1 grand and this not conserding the additonal cost of a quality scope, shooting rest, range fees, and a good spotting scope.

TPAW

leadslinger07 states:

.308 is getting expensive, the recoil of a rifle in this chambering is similar to that of a 12 Guage slug,

Getting expensive, yes. Recoil similar to a 12 guage, that's utter nonsense!

PPGMD

Recoil, that really depends on the rifle, a 700 SPS has about the same recoil as 12ga birdshot IMO. A heavier rifle lowers it much more.

You want to get a reach out and touch someone rifle for $1,000? I would likely get a Remington 700 SS 5R Mil-Spec. The barrel is slightly more optimized for the 175 SMK BT HP bullet that has better 1,000 yard ballistics then the traditional 168 gr bullet.

Now for long range shooting I would likely start out with a 16x optics along with Badger base and Burris or other mid-ranged price rings. I would go with Badger rings if you splurge on optics.

If you are serious consider reloading, it will lower the cost to shoot tremendously.

tINY

$1k including glass is really hard for a sub 1/2 MOA rifle.

I'd go either Savage or Remington. The stocks and triggers and everything for the Remmy are more plentiful and cheaper later. The Savage is going to be a lot cheaper to rebarrel and comes with a good trigger to start with.

You could probably squeek out a Savage 12 varmit, decent rings, and a reasonable 10x scope for a grand. That will shoot better than you can for a while.

-tINY

deathshead

Im not saying I can get a 2" group at 500 yards but I can sure hit that son of of a paper target lol Ive got a savage 110 7mm rem mag. with a choate ultimate sniper stock. not including my scope Ive got about $500 into it with about $300 more to spend on my soon to be barrel from e.r.shaw .
you realy cant go wrong with a 700 rem. or a 10 savage in my opinion. I took my advice for my savage from a range master thats been shooting for 50 years he wore out 2 .22cal barrels before he was 15 years old lol and I think it was the best advice Ive been given yet.
eather way good luck man

tINY

Sounds like it took the RM a while to learn how and how often to clean a 22 barrel....

-tINY

Yithian

Stop by Walmart and ask to see the Special Order Firearms Catalogue.
As long as you have one nearby that still sells guns.

If Im not mistaken, its around $650.00...
http://www.savagearms.com/12FTR.htm

If it isn't $650 then its just barely above $1000.
But I'm gonna bet it's the prior, and I don't bet.
I remember the one in 6.5x284 as $1000.

Martyn4802

RPSmith,

I think you need to alter your expectations to start with. 2" at 500 yards is unrealistic. Start with 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards, and THEN proceed out farther in distances. You gotta walk before you can run.
And, $1000 isn't going to get you a 2" at 500 yards rifle. $2000 possibly will.
But, as the guys above have said, you aren't going to be able to shoot well enough initially to get 2" at 500 yards no matter how good the rifle is.

Martyn

RPSmith

Martyn,

I appreciate your insight as well as the input from everyone else. Since I didn't clarify in the original post I wrote back soon after to state clearly that I am not a 2" at 500yds shooter. I would like to get there and would prefer not to buy an entirely new gun half way through the process.

I do plan to reload to both cut down on cost and increase accuracy.

I appreciate all the input. RP

Last edited:

TPAW

Recoil, that really depends on the rifle, a 700 SPS has about the same recoil as 12ga birdshot IMO. A heavier rifle lowers it much more

And a 12 gauge with slugs will raise it much higher...........;)