• H&K SL8-1

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • AR type rifle

Votes: 44 56.4%
  • Springfield M1-A

Votes: 29 37.2%

• Total voters

Bigfatts

So I looked in my safe the other day and noticed I really don't have a tactical style battle rifle. Sure I have the obligatory AK and SKS but I need something a little more you know? I like the Ak, but I don't love it. I love the SKS but the stock doesn't fit me too well and I want more accuracy wise. This rifle will mostly see range use out to 2-300 yds. Here are my choices so far, I'm trying to stay under $1500. So I'm looking at the HK SL8-1, AR-15, and the M1-A (Standard, Scout or Socom specifically.) I hope to purchase this rifle in the next couple of months.

AR-15- I like a couple AR styled rifles like the Sig 556 and the M&P but everyone has an AR and I want something a little different. But they are infinately upgradeable and mags and ammo are readily available.

SL8-1- I love the style of the SL8 and I hear they are pretty accurate but they are limited to 10 round capacity, mags are extremely expensive and I hear there are some problems with the lower receivers cracking? Heard that on the net so it's unverifiable.

M1A- I love the M1A and have wanted one for a long time. I like the Scout most of all with the 18" bbl. If I were to get the Standard I would set it up more as a target rifle and if I got the scout or Socom they would be more of a tactical rifle. Again, ammo and mags are readliy available. Plus I wouldn't mind having a .308.

Vermont

M1A

It is classy and bad-ass at the same time. Why you need a classy rifle is beyond me, but it can't hurt right?

PPGMD

Since you don't seem to mind a 308, consider an AR-10, most of the modularity of the AR but in the less common 308 caliber.

shooter_john

I voted AR type... specifically the DPMS 308LR. Or if you want to be more different, the 260LR.

If you go M1a, I'm with you, the Scout is the coolest.

berated

A choice outside your initial three rifles: the FN FS2000.
It can be had for around $1800-$1900 and looks way cooler than the AR15 IMHO. I've been very pleased with mine.

FS2000%20MG%2EJPG

CGSteve8718

I would only get the SL8 if I could convert it to G36 config as close as possible. I don't know too much about how to, but I've seen some nice copies out there, I believe they were also modified to accept regular mags.

I voted AR 15 type though.

MTMilitiaman

Of the choices you listed, I voted for the M1A, though really I would consider any battle rifle clone to be impressive than pretty much any assault rifle clone. You could also consider a FAL or well built HK roller lock clone like the JLD PTR-91. Any of these options would be cooler than any AR or poodle shooter, IMO.

SR420

Bigfatts: M1A- I love the M1A and have wanted one for a long time. I like the Scout most of all with the 18" bbl.
If I were to get the Standard I would set it up more as a target rifle and if I got the scout or Socom they would be more of a tactical rifle.
Again, ammo and mags are readliy available. Plus I wouldn't mind having a .308.

Go with the M14 type rifle in a SAGE EBR or a LAW483 TROY MCS :cool:

Railed.jpg

PPGMD

I would only get the SL8 if I could convert it to G36 config as close as possible.

I think that it's better to buy a quality clone G36 then to buy a SL8 and convert it. You can buy the quality clone for the same price as the SL8, and use the conversion money on ammo or optics.

Caeser23

if you can afford it pof in .308 would be my pick or for something a little cheaper plain jane ar 10 or rra lar8

Bigfatts

I thought about the FALs and the PTR but don't really like them. Also don't really like the ergoes of the FS2000. The M1-A is top dog on the list right now. Evidently the Scout is in short supply and out of stock with most suppliers. So my choices may be down to the Socom and Standard. Decisions decisions!

MTMilitiaman

Between the SOCOM and the standard rifle, you need to decide what you are using it for first. I have a Standard Loaded that I eventually plan to turn into sort of a DMR/SASS.

If I just wanted to bolt a bunch of stuff on it so it looked cool or really needed a short to moderate range rifle with a little more power than your typical 5.56mm carbine, I would have went with the SOCOM. Instead, that role is filled by an AK with a reflex sight.

HorseSoldier

I'd drop the SL8 from the list -- very high price tag, low capabilities.

I'd vote for the AR, first choice -- you're simply going to get more gun on a $1500 budget with an AR compared to a Springfield or other M14 clone (unless you're in Canada). You could get a mid-range quality AR with an EOTech or AimPoint on it and a tough box full of magazines for your price limit.

Second choice would be an M14 clone ideally in a Scout rifle barrel length.

The Century Galils are another option that might fit your desire for something a bit out of the ordinary, and is well inside your budget (Bud's has them for $860 or so). Vector makes their HK 33/53 clones that would come in under your price limit as well, though mags for those are pricey. You might be able to barely squeak a Robinson XCR under your price tag as well.

If you're looking for something different, you could also consider an AR in one of the heavier assault rifle cartridges (6.5 Grendel, 6.8 Rem SPC) or maybe one of the big bores like Beowulf and 458 Socom.

shooter_john

Standard v. SOCOM

Had a buddy with a SOCOM II that went back to SA 3 times. (Problems with the bolt and rollers) Customer sevice was great, and eventually all internals were replaced. But after imposing the 3 strikes and your out ruld on the gun, he found a sucker at a gunshow and traded the SOCOM II for a Nat'l Match and got $200 bucks! The NM has been superb.

YukonKid

Berated- that looks like a halo weapon, do you kill aliens ;)

i picked M1-A, i love my Socom model (the short one) never let me down and if your into hanging all manner of things off weapons then it has stuff for that to.

Greg Bell

I would wait for the civilian 416 if I was going to get a AR or any .223 (poodle shooter).

I would go with the M1A Scout. Less tactiool, but more capable.

MTMilitiaman

There are a couple problems with waiting for a 416; mainly, it isn't scheduled to come out until sometime in 2009, if it comes out at all, which gives plenty of time for you to save up for it because anything with those two letters on it is going to cost a pretty penny, probably more than it should. It also puts it in line to make it to the civilian market just as another AWB is passed, meaning HK will have, by its own means, passed five years of good market to hit the tail end, then B&M for at least the next decade about how they were screwed by the American civilian market.

If they had caught a clue when the things first came out and maybe yielded to the demand by having a civilian version ready in 2005 right after the ban sunsetted, they could have made a killing these last couple years. Instead, they waited and watched through two whole years while other companies raked in dough for the same type of weapons. In this market, it is almost impossible not to sell an AR. You don't even have to have "HK" on it. But nope, for whatever reason, no civilian HK416 for at least another year or so, if at all.

And if it doesn't happen, or sell up to expectations, it will somehow be our fault :rolleyes: