Help me pick a caliber and gun!!

Picher

I don't presently have one, but it seems that your needs are primarily for long-range varmint shooting with the possibilty of deer.

The most efficient long-range varmint caliber is .243 - 6mm. The 6mm is a bit better for handloaders, since it has a longer neck and a bit more case capacity. I had one and if it had a sporter barrel, I might still have it. It was just too darned heavy.

I like the 6mm Rem!!! It shoots quite flat and doesn't have the recoil of the .25-06. I used 90 grain bullets in the spring to buck the wind better. They shot very well in my Remington Varmint Special. That rifle was sold to an IBS benchrest shooter and he won some matches with it. I also shot it in one match, but it was my first match and I didn't win anything. That was about 30 years ago, however.

The rifle did make some very impressive groups, but I don't remember just how small they were.

Picher

ne76950

Ever tried a .280? I would see if anyone sells ammo in your area, but this is a really neat round. One of the guys I hunt with intorduced me to this round and I almost wish I got one instead on the last .308 I bought.