Help me pick a caliber and gun!!

oldcars

I am thinking about a scoped rifle between my .223 and 30-06 for long range varminting and mabe someday deer or antalope. I have been looking at these calibers: 243, 6mm rem, 257roberts,25-06, 7mm08, 7x57. I do reload. I am aiming for a medium weight rifle, with low recoil. and I want it accurate. I would like to have a drop down bottom plate, metal trigger gaurd, and a decent extractor. But I don't have a fortune to spend. I also own a Remington 700, and Interarms Mark X both in 30-06 that I have considered having re-barreld, but they are long action, and I might just be better off selling one or both to help fund the project. Howa? Tikka? Remington? Sako? Savage? Mauser of some kind? Give up & use the 30-06 with 125g? Help!

taylorce1

Almost exactly in between your .223 and .30-06 lies the 6.5X55 and the .260 Remington, just something to chew on. As far as your choices listed I like the .257 Roberts since you stated you hand load. That is just one caliber I hope to have in my inventory some day. Since the .257 "Bob" is too long for a short action you could build it on one of your existing LA rifles.

BTW I just picked up a Kimber Sporterized M96 Mauser in 6.5X55 off of gunbroker.com for $260 delivered to my FFL. If you look around you can find some great deals on sporterized military actions.

Full-choke

Howa, Tikka, Sako...no. Remington, Savage...getting closer. Ruger, 257 Bob and now we're talkin'!

My buddy has a 257 Roberts Ruger 377 MK I that shoots deer sized kill-zone groups at 300 yards. That is one sweet rifle. The 257 Roberts pretty much spanks any other quarter bore on ballistics too. So if I was looking for a mid-sized caliber, he'd definitely be my first choice. Ruger makes a good gun but the Mk I's & II's were hit and miss on accuracy. The controlled round feed is nice though, that you have to admit.

I don't know what or if Remington or Savage barrel in 257, but that is where I'd start since you seem to like them. Savage makes a fine rifle as far as accuracy goes, but the fit and finish isn't spectacular. That also makes it the perfect hunting rifle as you wouldn't be too concerned about it getting beat up in a woods or such.

F-C

Kreyzhorse

The most accurate rifle I've ever shot is a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag. While that round is bigger than what you are looking for, I can't talk enough about the Savage. Accurate and affordable and accurate. Little ugly, but wood stock is much better looking than the plastics stocks.

joshua

For low recoiling medium size rifle the Remington 700 CDL SF will be a great rifle for your purpose, but it's not chambered to the caliber I would like to advice, the 260 Rem. It is chambered in 7mm-08, although it will still provide what you are looking for it is a bit too big for varmints.

lgsil_700cdlsf.jpg

It will be in the 7.5 lbs with a 24" barrel, street price will probably be in $800+. josh

Spade Cooley

243 will do a fine job but stay away from the varment barrel is you are going to tote it.

I had a 22-250 varmeter and hated it.

bigbird34

25-06

25-06,a true 500 yard shooter .....I'd go Rem,not in a Sendero if you are going to carry it ,but if your shooting from a blind the Sendero will get the job done. .....check out the balistics! BB34

Martyn4802

I have a pair of 257 Roberts rifles that are midway between the 223 and the 30-06. That chambering is great, and I can recommend the 257 for accuracy too. Both of mine are very accurate. The recoil of the 257 is far less than larger cased chamberings too, which I like very much. I vote for a Ruger Model 77 as the rifle for you.

Martyn

Sarge

I've got a .223 and an '06, both sighted at 200 yards with one load each; and of which I find useful to 350 yards without much in the way of trajectory divinations. I have shot the '06 out to 800, and I do know that on the far side of 400 yards you're going to have to compensate with just about anything. I seem to have better luck becoming intimate with one gun and load over various ranges, than switching back & forth between several guns and trying to remember 'which gun shoots where'.

Different strokes...Just goes to show that 'perspective' is the driving force behind a lot of gun sales. I think if I were going to change rifles at this late stage I'd probably go with a 7 Mag. They are a hellacious varmint gun with the right 100 grain bullet, and pretty capable on bigger stuff with heavier bullets.

ZeroJunk

If you decide to rebarrel one of your existing rifles to 257 Roberts and reload, you should consider the Ackley improved version.You can fire form from standard since they headspace the same.You can get a couple hundred more FPS.
I don't know that it makes any more sense than a 25/06 , but it's different.

oldcars

How do you guys feel about the Remington 700 action -vs- Mauser 98 comertial action? I like the Mauser extractor better. Has anyone shot much of the Howa or Tikka/Sako actions?

Smokey Joe

Between a .223 and an '06... Hmmm....

Oldcars, I'd go with an already-Bubba-ized (so's the C&R people don't hound you too much) 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. Beautiful workmanship, higher quality than you can afford today, new, can be handloaded to tackdriving accuracy, low recoil, useful on deer and if you want, on varmints, too. Always made with Swedish steel, even the ones made in Germany.

The Swedes use 'em on moose, which they call elk (confusing, I know!) with a 140 or 160 grain bullet, so if you wanted to hunt what we call elk, with it you surely could. (I'd draw the line about there, though. Anything bigger, or more evil-tempered, wants a bigger bullet IMHO.)

Go to gun shows, watch Gunbroker and Auction Arms on the I'net, and a deal on one will pop up. You want one that has been "ruined." Leave the still-pristine military ones to the collectors.

Good hunting. And, as always, the journey is part of the destination.

homefires

700 Remington! .243 Light weight! Good for gophers, Prairie dog, Coyotes, and 200lb Mule deer!

Thats what I use.

Then again the 7.62x39 works on Gophers, Prairie dog, Coyotes and 200lb Mule deer! :cool:

shooter_john

Savage 25-06

For the purposes you described, I'd put my money on a 25-06, and I'd get it in a Savage. I have a Savage 110FP Tactical that shoots 1/2- 1/4 MOA, and does quite often, by far the best shooting rifle I've ever owned. The 25-06 will handle weights as low as 75gr (perfect for varmints) and as heavy as 120gr (perfect for deer/ antelope sized game). Shoots like a lazer to boot. My rifle would be a little heavy for a lot totin' and walking (I know from experience), but it's not too bad. You could get a Savage sporter for $400-$500, or a Stevens (a Savage minus the Accutrigger) for $289 on gunbroker.com, all day long.
My second choice for caliber would be a toss-up between 7m-08 and 260 Rem.

oldcars

What do you guys think about having my Interarms Mark X re-barreled to 6mm rem? It's a Manchester England Mark X if that matters. I have a gunsmith friend, and He thinks I could do it for around $200(parts&labor) I have heard they are good actions.

jhgreasemonkey

Here's a "crazy" suggestion. Save the money and use your 30-06 for varmints, pronghorn, etc. What the? Huh? you say?
For example get a factory box of 30-06 remington corelokt 55 grain accelerators. They travel at over 4000fps! They are designed for varmints and cost the same as a box of .22-250 ammo. Midway stocks them. You can find factory over the counter 30-06 loads designed to use for everything you mentioned. From 55 grain to 220 grain and every rifle bullet type under the sun. Thats why they call it the most versatile caliber. :)

Sarge

Here's a "crazy" suggestion. Save the money and use your 30-06....

Actually, that's what I did for a good long while, with both a .30-30 and an '06 at different times. In fact I'd still be doing that if this Savage .223 hadn't just fallen into my lap. In both .30's, I just used my hunting load for everything.There's an awful lot to be gained from getting that familiar with your main-battery rifle and load.

onemsumba

savage 250-3000

its the orginal fast round.

if your looking to reload. and what a unique rifle.

"Even though the .250-3000 took a back seat to the Winchester and Remington 6mm cartridges during the 1950's, there isn't two cents worth of difference in performance between the new and the old. Recent testing of the .250 in a Remington Model 700 Classic and Ruger Model 77 proved once again that when loaded with modern powders, the .250 will push a 100 grain bullet to over 3000 fps. Velocity with the 75 grain bullet averaged 3400 fps. A number of groups fired with both bullets measure less than MOA." - from reloadbench.com