Help Me Out Here, Guys...Which One?

raimius

As a shooter, there is something attractive about the CMP Garands (especially the "special grade" rebuilt ones.)

Out of the two you originally picked, I'd go with the GSR. It seems handy, but in .308, it should be perfectly capable of work out to 600+ yards.

pbrktrt beat me to it.
At least a Service Grade Garand, but only from the CMP. Why? You will know that all the required parts are in it, the parts were not altered, and that it will function safely.
Any extra cash could be spent on M2 Ball Ammo. I will never gamble a heap of cash on an inflated-price, unknown M-1 at a gun show, nor at a gun shop etc.

My "Gun Guru" retired from the Navy Rifle Team, won over a dozen Garands in matches, and he always recommends the CMP.

You might realize that all parts were mismatched during the rearsenaling process.

Last edited:

Single Six

I know what you mean. I see M1s at the gun shows all the time, always with pretty steep prices. However, I don't know enough about what to look for to buy with confidence. I've heard stories of M1 buyers getting burned in just such a fashion.

DMacLeod

I went through the same thing a while ago. Decided on the GSR. If I can remember how to post a pic I will post it.

My GSR is topped with an Eotech.

Jimro

Settling for another rifle because you "can't afford" your dream rifle is kinda sad in my opinion. Budsgunshop has a stainless M1A for just over 1,300 http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...rmory+10+++1+308+Win.+StandardBlack+FinishGre

1,300 - 760 = a difference of 540 dollars. Isn't your happiness worth 540 dollars? You might be able to get an LE discount that knocks the delta down another hundred or so.

Just save up a little longer, and get the rifle you really want.

Jimro

PatientWolf

DMacleod - you said you had to make the same decision and went with the GSR. I'm curious...are you happy with the decision you made and the gun? Personally, I REALLY wish they'd offer it in SS.

Single Six

^ +1 on this. I love stainless; in fact, I never buy guns with a blued finish. If Ruger does bring out the GSR in stainless, my decision is made!!!

Single Six

Jimro: You are spot-on. I learned long ago to always hold out for what you really want, because if you settle, you'll never be happy. In fact, that applies to more than guns. Also includes cars, knives, televisions, and wives.;)

olddav

Pine after something too long, the dream becomes better than the reality.
That being said buy what you want, but I would also suggest that you consider the M1 Garand. I've owned one since forever and will not let it go until my last breath is gone. If you like the mini 14 (got one of those to) you will like the Garand. But as I said earlier buy what you really want.

P.S. I've always want a M1A to but I don't want another cal. in the safe.

tahunua001

the GSR is a more versatile design with no history of reliability issues. the mini 30 is not. I would much rather take the GSR. probably the only 308 that I have any interest in at the moment.