Help me find larger .380s to drool over

Daekar

So, as I'm sure some of you have noticed, I'm quite a fan of my Sig P238. I like the recoil, I like the size of the gun, and I like the controlability. I don't feel undergunned when I can empty a mag into a torso-sized area every time in a short time.

Still, I'm always on the lookout for more fun toys that I can't afford to buy - yet! I have two good 9mms (H&K P2000 and CZ75B in Stainless) and a Ruger MKIII, so my next pistol will probably be another .380, just larger.

I've looked at the PPK, the Bersa, and their ilk, but I'm not sure where else to look. The goal is larger mag capacity with a larger grip and even less recoil than the P238. This would be a practical and aesthetic purchase, so it has to be pretty and work well. What are your favorite middle and large-sized .380s?

Glockfan36

Uh, where do we start?

How about the Beretta Model 84(dang, I miss that gun!), Bersa Thunder.380,Walther PPK, Colt Mustang, Hi-Point,:confused::rolleyes:, Sig P238, etc.?

Of all these, I'd still rather have the Beretta, just the best in my ever so humble opinion! That being said, I still wouldn't carry it due to it's size and weigh not being far from the 92fs, which with it being a 9mm, would be my preferred carry weapon from the classic Berettas!

aarondhgraham

They start with B,,,

The Bersa Thunder 380 is a fine pistol,,,
But it only has a 7+1 capacity.
31-vanessa.JPG

Consider the Bersa 380 Plus,,,
It has 15 round mag capacity.

Link to the Bersa catalog.

Then there are the Beretta Cheetah pistols,,,
24-alessia.JPG

The 85 has 7-8 round capacity,,,
The 84 has 13 round capacity.

I own the Bersa Thunder 380 and Thunder 22,,,
Both very fine performers.

I also own the Beretta 85 in .380 and the 87 in .22 LR,,,
Again, very fine performing pistols.

There are others no doubt,,,
But these two I can attest to their quality.

Aarond

WVsig

Browning BDA/Beretta 84FS One of the best 380 autos every made. You can get them with 13 round mags. Super soft shooters more accurate than I am.

Sig P232 is a excellent PPK size type shooter. Again deadnuts accurate due to its blowback design.

CZ82/83 are great as well.

Personally I would pass on the Bersa. When they were sub $200 they had some value but at today prices they are simply not the bargin they once were.

Glockfan36

Aarond, how you torture me so!

By showing pictures of your Model 84! But, I don't mind! I just need to search for a Cheetah 84 to call my own, and hold on to it! These older guns always make me drool a little bit!

aarondhgraham

Hello Glockfan36,,,

Actually, mine is the Model 85,,,
Virtually identical to the 84 but lower capacity.

Your Glocks are extremely fine performing pistols,,,
Accurate, dependable, reliable as all heck.

But you do need a Beretta for the aesthetics,,,
And they are simply so dang much fun to shoot. :)

So stop allowing yourself to be tortured,,,
Get thee to a gun shop my friend.

Aarond

group17

Here is a few nice older compact 380's that all shoot just fine.

p1010622v.jpg

Astra A-60

p1010139s.jpg

Tanfoglio GT

p1000449v.jpg

Llama Model IIIA

dscf1192.jpg

Beretta 84 BB

Last edited:

wnycollector

Another vote for the Beretta 84. They are accurate, reliable and just look great. I picked mine up this summer and it has quickly become my favorite CCW.

carguychris

Click the following link for more info about the Beretta 80-series pistols. Good stuff!

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=75625&page=7

A few notes:
  • The major difference between the F/FS series and the original/B/BB series is that the former pistols have a positive decocker/safety while the latter pistols have a traditional safety that locks the hammer back for "cocked and locked" carry. This is the most significant change in the 80-series model history.
  • The Beretta 83 (shown in the link) is rare to the point of near-nonexistence in the USA. You can basically ignore that column. It was basically an 85 with a few minor changes tailored for an Italian naval contract. This pistol was sold commercially in Europe but never widely imported.
  • The 86 has a tip-up barrel.
  • The pistol recently marketed in the USA as the Browning BDA is basically the same pistol as the 84 but with a closed-top slide, conventional ejection port, spurred hammer, and slide-mounted safety. (Please note: this pistol is NOT to be confused with the Hi-Power and SIG P220 variants marketed in past decades as the "BDA".)

RickB

Imbel, the company that makes guns for Springfield Armory in Brazil, makes a 1911 in .380 for the home market. I can't imagine a .380 much larger than that!