Help me choose a 1911

Ruger45LC

Depends on how much you want to spend, if it's under $1K, then likely Springfield or Ruger. If it's over $1K, either a higher end Springfield or even better, Dan Wesson, that's about it.

JDBerg

I’d go with a lightly used Dan Wesson Valor or Springfield TRP. I own a Valor, and I’ve had plenty of range time with a few TRPs. Either one does not stay in the used gun case very long. Once you start shooting either one of these models, it won’t matter that you bought it used.

shooter1911

I've got Colt and Springfield both are nice guns, but if I had to choose it would be the Colt. I have the Competition model which comes with some nice basic upgrades.
I'm curious as to why you would pick the Colt over the Springfield. I have both also, but just asking. Thanks

BarryLee

As mentioned, I have the Colt Competition pistol and the Springfield is a Mil Spec model. I just felt for the price the Colt seems a little better. Obviously, a lot of this decision may come down to what specific make/model a person can find available. I like both guns and doubt you could go wrong with either.

Alan0354

I bought a Colt Gold Cup in 1989, workmanship was REALLY BAD. The gun was not reliable, I had to do a lot of work to make it reliable. I can see tool marks inside the slide, it's just rough. My S&W 659 or the Walther PPKS are much better polished. The slide was not tight to the frame. BUT, it was accurate, I used it for competition.

I don't know how's Colt's workmanship now, it's been a long time. I definitely wound NOT buy another one.

I remember I looked at a Springfield, the fitting was very tight, nothing like the Gold Cup. It's a shame Gold Cup was very expensive and still like that. I did gun smithing myself, I had to squeeze the slide and lap it to get a tight fit, change the link to make sure the barrel is tight when pushing down.

Let me know has Colt improved or still the same. If not, I would buy the spring field for half the price(at the time) and had better fit. Let me know how are they compare today, it's been a long time for me. I can only speak from experience 30+years ago.

shooter1911

I bought a Colt Gold Cup in 1989, workmanship was REALLY BAD. The gun was not reliable, I had to do a lot of work to make it reliable. I can see tool marks inside the slide, it's just rough. My S&W 659 or the Walther PPKS are much better polished. The slide was not tight to the frame. BUT, it was accurate, I used it for competition.

I don't know how's Colt's workmanship now, it's been a long time. I definitely wound NOT buy another one.

I remember I looked at a Springfield, the fitting was very tight, nothing like the Gold Cup. It's a shame Gold Cup was very expensive and still like that. I did gun smithing myself, I had to squeeze the slide and lap it to get a tight fit, change the link to make sure the barrel is tight when pushing down.

Let me know has Colt improved or still the same. If not, I would buy the spring field for half the price(at the time) and had better fit. Let me know how are they compare today, it's been a long time for me. I can only speak from experience 30+years ago.
I can't tell you how modern Colt's are coming out because the last one I purchased was in 2008. I bought a Series 70 reissue that was a mess. I used it as a build, and unfortunately the project cost much more than expected due to unreliability issues that had to be fixed. That was after going back to Colt for cosmetic issues. In 1911s I have only owned Colts and Springfield's. Several Colts have gone back to the factory, and zero SAs have gone back. SA customer service far exceeds Colt's in my opinion. I carry two guns these days. The Series 70 and a Springfield Range Officer Compact 45. The Springfield cost a fraction of what I have invested in the Colt, but runs just a good. I would be hard pressed to try another Colt these days, with so many other good options. I'm interested to see how CZ/Dan Wesson handles the new Colt line.

Alan0354

I can't tell you how modern Colt's are coming out because the last one I purchased was in 2008. I bought a Series 70 reissue that was a mess. I used it as a build, and unfortunately the project cost much more than expected due to unreliability issues that had to be fixed. That was after going back to Colt for cosmetic issues. In 1911s I have only owned Colts and Springfield's. Several Colts have gone back to the factory, and zero SAs have gone back. SA customer service far exceeds Colt's in my opinion. I carry two guns these days. The Series 70 and a Springfield Range Officer Compact 45. The Springfield cost a fraction of what I have invested in the Colt, but runs just a good. I would be hard pressed to try another Colt these days, with so many other good options. I'm interested to see how CZ/Dan Wesson handles the new Colt line.
I am glad I wasn't unlucky, so it is a trend!!!

Why are they so famous....at least in the pass? I bought it because of the name and it's a big disappointment. I still have not manage to make it totally reliable with the CCI Blazer JHP which the mouth of the bullet look more like an ashtray.

Yes, when I picked up the SA, I almost kicked myself because it is so much tighter in fitting.

oldbear1950

1911s

I have a real COLT 1911 in 38 super, with ED BROWN CONVERSION KIT TO 9MM (ALL WAS NEEDED WAS BARREL, BUSHING, AND MAGAZINES , a new SDS, I believe is a quality weapon and not a lot of green, so far 4 boxes of ammo, no problem, and AN ATI 1911. both the ATI AND SDS 45. No problems. Will wait and see if this continues,

Siggy-06

The Springfield Garrison is actually pretty nice. I just picked one up in 9mm. Very tight tolerances and fit, and the bluing is nice as well. Swap the sights and do a little trigger work and I'd have no issue putting it up against a few higher end 1911s.

oldbear1950

I have 3 1911s, an original COLT, 38 super/with a ED BROWN 9mm conversion kit. (actually is just the barrel, bushing, and magazines), an ATI
commander size pistol, that so far eats anything I put in it, and a new budget priced SDS, that like wise eats anything, at least so far, and that is 4 boxes of hollowpoint and round nose. I have carried a 1911 since 1968 as an ARMY RESERVIST, MP, 20 years in the US COAST GUARD, and owned my own for most of my adult life. I have found most 1911s work fine as long as you find magazines they like. Also as long as they have decent sites, fair triggers, they usually work well.
I find it is more a matter of personal preference and taste, as to what you want.

Kevin Rohrer

Out of the makes the OP mentioned, the DW and Sig are the highest quality for mass-produced 1911s. A Colt would be my third choice.

Someone above mentioned a used Baer. I couldn't agree more. Hillsdale Baers are older and go for less money, but are higher quality than the mass-produced stuff. I own five Hillsdales and they are a more bang-for-the-buck than anything else out there.

Last edited: