• HK USPC .40

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • HK USPC .45

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • STEYR M40 .40 caliber

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

cslinger

Ok we all like giving advice so now is your chance. Cast your vote for my buddies next carry piece.

The choices are a Kimber Pro Carry Stainless
HK USPC in .40 or .45
or a STEYR M40.

Let him know what you think.

Chris

davidtdm

I'm the friend in question

I'd apprecite any info, comments, stories etc from everyone.

Chris posted the poll to show me how it worked :eek:) Happy voting

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Neither choice,

I'd strongly recommend the Sig-Sauer P220 .45 ACP
for daily carry; but thats just me!:) :cool: :D World class,
all the way from its craftsmanship, reliability, to accuracy.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I would go for the USPc .40. It has a 10 round mag, able to be carried cocked and locked, they are accurate as he!! outta the box, and it is an HK. I would not go with the USPc .45 just b/c it only has an 8 round magazine. I always carry my USPc .40, but hardly ever the .45, (i have carried my full size .45 more often).

davidtdm

Ala Dan,

No question about it. The Sig's are great guns. Unfortunatly one of the criteria for the choices of these guns in the poll is that these fit my hands.

I currently have a GLock 27. But some time ago I injured my hand. I now have trouble with my grip on a compact/sub compact gun. I tried out some sig models, but they just didn't do it for me to be a carry gun. Besides, Cslinger lives down the road and if I have the urge to plink with the Sigs I'll just use his.

Thanks for the input :D

dave

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Strengths and weaknesses...

USPs are chubby and have that awful moulded-in checkering and cost $200 more than any other plastic pistol on the market; Steyrs have an iffy future and zero support in the accessories department; the Kimber has the alloy frame (don't polish the ramp!) and that buck-wretched Series II safety.

I'd buy the Kimber, toss the cheesy plastic MSH and pay a 'smith to 86 the Series II bits.

Onslaught

Tamara, what is a MSH?
Not a stupid question... I was wondering the same thing.

I hate it when people suggest something other than your posted choices, and I DID vote for the USP45c because I LOVE USP's, and you seem to like the .45...

BUT,

have you checked out the Walther P99? The super-comfortable grip and lower price tag are causing me to lean towards them over the USPc for my next big carry piece.

krept

USPs are chubby and have that awful moulded-in checkering and cost $200 more than any other plastic pistol on the market

Tam is right. The compacts are fatter than SIGs and Subcompact Glocks that wannabe-pros normally use for CCW. The checkering you would normally be able to fix, but because of HK's cheap polymer, it will crumble if you try to sand it or deform if you add a grip. Plus one shouldn't have to alter an overpriced pistol, but changing a thing or four on a 1911 is A_OK because that's what the real pros do. USP compacts don't fit anyone's hands so strike those two off the list right away. Plus, you wouldn't want him to feel like a sucka for paying way too much for tupperware (forget about plastic).

The Kimber is clearly the way to go, especially if he uses the money he saves by not buying the USP to do critical smith work.

If that doesn't make sense, I certainly don't suggest he trys before he buys - that would take the excitement out of the game. I say just go with what the most experienced person (one with the most posts) says.

---------- real post--------
I voted for the USP .45c because, despite my lameness, I believe it is one of the best out there. All the stuff above is just weak minded sarcasm/minnow bait ;). The best, most truly objective advice is to try before you buy (make him try before he buys).

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Hey, he asked for a vote and an opinion, and he got mine. ;)

Nothing particularly wrong with the USP (indeed, there's a lot right with it), but if anyone thinks they cost $300 more to produce than a P-99, Glock or SIGpro, I've got a bridge you might be interested in.

Of course the prosaic (and correct) answer is "try them out and see which fits"; there's not a gun on that list I wouldn't cheerfully trust my life to. But sometimes I get sick of typing "try them out and see which fits". :D As far as the "spend money to 'smith a Kimber" bit, if they cost roughly the same, I'd go with the slimmer pistol with the better trigger, personally. Yeah, a USP can be rolled over by a tank, but I don't usually drive tanks over my CCW pieces, and plus I'm on a 1911 jag right now... :D

You'll note I said "I'd buy..."; what he buys is up to him.

(What I don't like about the USP's moulded checkering is that the individual points are the size of the Great Pyramid of Cheops; they make the "grenade grip" checkering on a Glock seem unobtrusive by comparison. :p Why didn't HK just do their groovy textured stippling all around? )

PS: MSH=mainspring housing (or "backstrap")

PPS: Calm down. Who's going to take a girl's advice on a gun, anyways? ;) :p :D

blades67

I'd go with the Kimber. I also think you should leave the Series II safety alone unless you actually have a problem with the gun failing to fire. I bought a Custom II back in June and though I've only put about 1000 rounds through it I haven't had any problems with the safety, nor have I had a malfuntion.

Will Batayte

I just recently purchased a USPC .45 and I love it. It gives you tons of options for mode of carry, is uterly reliable, very acurate, feels great in the hand, and is easy to shoot. It is a little larger than some compact pistols but it still conceals well in a canted holster. I would recomend this pistol to anyone. It is truly a great gun.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's Again Dave,

Based on your comments, my 2nd choice would be the
H&K USPC in .45 ACP! As you can probably tell, I like
this caliber a lot.:) :D :cool: I also like quality
weapon's made in Germany and/or Austria.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

cslinger

Let's not fight about things now....

Hey I mentioned the CZ to him also, but we haven't found any around here for him to check out.

The problem I have with any modern high dollar gun is when people say to buy something like the Kimber for 7 to 8 bills and then go spend another few hundred on making it work just right. I know 1911s are a fetish or addiction in the gun world and I love them, their history and all that goes with them too. I just don't like the idea of buying a weapon that I plan to use as a primary defense gun to need all the tweaking of this and that.

When I buy a defensive gun I want it to simply go bang every time and be combat accurate in that order, out of the box. Modern guns should do this as a rule. My Rugers, SIGs, Glocks, Walthers etc. all do this.

I currently do not own a 1911 because I don't want to tweak it constantly. I want one eventually but it will be a strictly range and gunsmith learning toy.

I am not bashing 1911s in any way. They look a damn sight better then most and JMB was brilliant. They just are not for me because of all the people I know who buy them and then have to put quite a bit of extra cash into them to make them work. I know their are many, many 1911s that work just fine out of the box but most will agree you are more likely to need to tweak them then with another modern defensive handgun.

Anybody know where I can see and hold a CZ75 compact or PCR in middle TN?

Thanks for the replies and I am sure Dave will chime in too, as he sits right behind me at work. Oooops did I say work, I mean ahhhhh camp, or ahhhh home, or ahhhhhhh the dorm yeah that's it the dorm. :D

krept

:D

Hey... Thems certainly weren't meant to be fightin words so apologies if anyone had to huff it off. Tamara called my buddy's little brother fat so I had to stick a rib out.

The problem I have with any modern high dollar gun is when people say to buy something like the Kimber for 7 to 8 bills and then go spend another few hundred on making it work just right.
:D

In all reality the Kimber should be dandy out of the box. If it isn't, then they should absolutely make it right.

I too love the 1911 and grew up with an original. I aspire to get another one one day. My first pistol was a POS 1911 so I traded it the USP due to it's relatively similar manual of arms and I was dazzled by the gizmo-factor (saw it as an improved 1911, which it really isn't.) Kimbers are hardly POSs.

Dave, if you are open to other pistols, I do honestly suggest that you go to the range and fire *as many* as possible. You might be surprised by one of the models you have overlooked!

bsly

From your list, I'd get the HK USPC .40 or .45

I voted for the .40, but either are great.

I own a USP 40 full size and aside from a long and heavy DA pull, I have no complaints. The SA shooting is sweet.

davidtdm

Greetings All

Thanks to all who have voted and sent in their comments. please keep them comming. If I may I'd like to generically respond to some very well pointed out comments.

1. All of the guns on this list I would like to eventually own. Each one serves a particular purpose for what I'd like for them to be used for.

2. Like I said in the earlier post the major criteria for the gun was how it fit me. These are certainly not the only guns that I've "tried out", but these work best for my current hand situation.
(I'm just not that comfortable with my forth finger and pinkey hanging off the frame)

3. I'm also not very concerned with the tweaking, and the safety "86'ing" if I were go the Kimber route. As with most modern guns, if you just use the common sense of "pull trigger goes bang" and always, the gun IS LOADED. Then However I carry, "cocked & locked" or Rack before pull. I'm good.

4. Write in's. Hey these are cool to. If any one knows of simmilar guns put them out there. I've looked at the Walther, Berettta and Tarus.

Thanks,
Dave :D

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
3. I'm also not very concerned with the tweaking, and the safety "86'ing" if I were go the Kimber route...

I'll admit that both mods I suggested for the Kimber were for purely aesthetic reasons; the gun'd run fine without 'em.

You're picking from a good field; there's not a gun on that list I'd kick out of my safe. :D

Betty

The Kimber's just fine for 1911 fans, and the Steyr (never fired one) is great on ergonomics. I find the Steyr to be a "strange looking" pistol, though. (chuckle) I'm not fond of the .40 cartridge anymore - the .45, for me, is much more comfortable to shoot in any comparable gun.

I'll have to pitch my vote in for the USPc in .45; it's very comfortable to hold in my tiny hands, and the Hogue slip-on grips cover up the awful checkering. It's accurate, comes in many variations, and is very reliable.