head shots malicious?

Mute

Laws vary from state to state, but I can't name one that would consider the use of a firearm not to be the use of lethal force. You may choose to aim for his pinky toe, but as far as the courts are concerned, you had better be justified in needing to use the gun. Period.

I have here sitting in front of me Massad Ayoob's nine page list of credentials and references.

How long would yours be?

It isn't the quantity, but the quality. Ayoob's articles are often rife with problems, poor math, poor assumptions, and misinterrpetations. It isn't as if his gun rag publications are peer-reviewed and I don't know that his books are either (or not).

Putting blind faith into the words of a self-described expert is not prudent especially when the expert's words don't hold up to scrutiny.

pax

self-described expert
Let's talk about self-described experts, shall we?

By definition, a "self-described" expert is someone that few or no other people would acknowledge as an expert, someone whom only himself would call an expert. A self-described expert might be, for instance, an anonymous somebody on an internet forum. The self-described expert probably does not have a single credential, possibly has never worn a badge, and probably has never taught a single class, but nevertheless holds forth as if he'd done all those things or had somehow simply absorbed the knowledge to criticize those who had. Of course, if you were to ask anyone outside of the self-described expert's favorite forum stomping grounds, well, no one's ever heard of the guy -- and no one except himself would give a rat's hind end for his opinion. That is what a self-described expert looks like.

A true expert, on the other hand, would have experience both as a student and as an instructor going back ... oh, say, three decades or so, and at a wide variety of schools. He would be quoted as an authoritative source in a dozen or more books. If he claimed knowledge of the law enforcement field, he would have references from major names in law enforcement in big cities across the nation. He might be the key instructor in several videos widely used in police training nationwide, for instance. If he claimed legal expertise, he would have more than a dozen lawyers ready to vouch for his expertise and professionalism. If he claimed expertise as a shooter, you could expect such a person would have at least a couple dozen major competitions under his belt -- and would have won or placed in at least a few of those. That's what an expert looks like.

Is an expert sometimes wrong? Sure. Is a "self-described expert," an anonymous internet nobody, occasionally right? Sure. But only a fool sneers at the expert simply because he is an expert.

*shrug* Suit yourself. Most folks do, anyway.

pax

As to the abuses I meet with, I number them among my honors. One cannot behave so as to obtain the esteem of the wise and the good without drawing on oneself at the same time the envy and malice of the foolish and wicked, and the latter is testimony of the former. -- Benjamin Franklin

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. But that's the way to bet. -- my grandad.