HD Gun

warwagon

It depends, how good of a shot are you under stress? If the answer is just ok, go with the shotgun, best darned deterent so far.

There are many variables in the defense of a domain,the most important is credibility with the chosen weapon, be it bat, handgun,etc.

Use what you will be the most familliar with,and know well.

There is no substitute for experience!

Cossack

Since you are so comfortable with the beretta, I would still recommend that be your HD gun. The best gun for home defense is the one that you can operate well under stress. And if you have "beretta habits" from working with them for so long, then find a beretta in your caliber of choice rather than try to work a different gun like a beretta in a moment of stress.

Look online at places like <www.gunsamerica.com> (a quick look at the Beretta listings shows a number of 92s and other models in your price range) or go for a drive and check out some other shops. Most classified sellers, like those at gunsamerica, will let you have an inspection period in case you, like most of us, are a little nervous about buying something you've never held in your hands.

joneb

Nothing says get the hell out of my house better than "Kerr Chunk" from a 12 gauge. Even a dumb ass knows what that means.

johnsonrlp

"Kerr Chunk"?

I don't believe in the whole kerr chunk theory. If a bad guy is in my house I don't want to rely on that first round chambering. I'm not risking me or my family's life that it would load successfully. Not that I have any doubts in the reliability of my pump gun. But they had their warning at the locked door.

Dr_2_B

If I were looking at a handgun purely for home use, I'd go with a large .45 the size of the largest GLOCK 21. Since you don't like GLOCKs, you might choose another with a service-length barrel, night-sights, and a high capacity.

Mark54g

Jib,

It also says "Now I know where you are and that if I have a weapon, I have to use it on you."

Not everyone is afraid. Sometimes they are too stupid or under the influence to care. If you want to rely on scaring them, that is your business. I would rather hole up in a secured room and dial 911 with whatever I have in my hand at the time. I don't care if it is a bowling pin, a battle axe or a 9mm. (Yes, I did bring a battle axe home from a vacation. It was LOVELY to watch it go through the X-Ray machine)

XD or shotgun.

For strictly home defense role...

18.5 inch shotgun be it a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 in 12 gauge.

They are pretty manuverable when you get the swing of things, and clearing a place, unless you 100% have to is a bad idea anyway. So, in an apartment situation you can hole up hopefully and let them come to you from (usually) one direction. If they come in, shoot, if not wait and always be on the line with 911.

If you really want a handgun...

It seems you like the Beretta. As said earlier, you can get good deals on auction websites.

If not, I would suggest a Springfield XD. They won't break your budget so you can buy extra practice ammo, mags, and cleaning supplies.

I really like the XD .45 fullsized (5" barrel). It feels really good in the hand. If I were to get some more tacti-cool plastic, it would be the gun of choice.

Good luck. Stay safe, shoot straight.

Gazpacho

Lever Action in 45 Colt by Winchester or Marlin. Less recoil than 44mag but plenty of stopping power with Winchester Silvertips. Compact. Can be used as a club. Lever Action still makes a warning schik-schik if you want to.

$299 plus ammo.

Then buy a Ruger GP-100 357mag 4"

$350 plus ammo.

If you want to simplify your ammo, get the rifle in 357mag also.

ddskehan

Make sure that you shoot whatever choices you have prior to buying. If it's for home defense. Make sure you always know where your kids or wife are located in the house. Remember that bullets will pass thru walls. I use a glock 27 or a S&W 19 for home defense because they are devoid of any real safety.