Have You Had A Failure In Semi-Auto/Revolver That Made It Inoperable?

Have You Had A Failure In A Semi-Auto/Revolver That Rendered It Inoperable?

• Yes, In A Semi-Auto

Votes: 88 32.6%
  • Yes, In A Revolver

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • No, I Have Experienced No Failures In Either

Votes: 60 22.2%
  • I Have Experienced Failures In Both

Votes: 78 28.9%

• Total voters

smh

1911 jam

Had the barrel underlug break off and fall down, jamming the slide. Had to clamp the gun in a vise while the gunsmith placed a board on it and hit the board with a large hammer. The slide finally shook loose allowing us to see what the problem was.

wpsdlrg

Nope. Other than a few FTF's in a couple of my revolvers and ONE "stovepipe" in a semi-auto (which I no longer have)....I've never even had any stoppages (in my current guns). All my current guns function flawlessly......so far.

Oh, there was the small broken part that caused a semi-auto (I used to have) to become a full-auto. But that didn't render it inoperable, so I guess it doesn't count here.

LeadFistExpress

I was at the range with my PPKS when the extractor went flying. I did not notice the issue at first and kept trying to cycle the slide to extract the spent round. I finally figured out the issue. I sent the pistol back to Smith and Wesson for warranty repair. After receiving it back from them, I sold it to my ex-wife's new husband.

hulley

I had a failure with my SP101. Completely my fault but a failure none the less. I was shooting MY re-loads and I had a round with a tiny bit of powder and that was enough to push the bullet into the forcing cone and jam. I had to insert a dowl down the barrel and tap the bullet back down to get it out. I promptly went home, pulled all the rounds and started over checking every load there after. Slow but it works now. Lesson learned.

Beagle45ACP

Forget the make and model, it was an old .22 revolver my uncle had. One time when we were out shooting it, the tip of the lifter (I'm sure that's not the right term for it, but I'm not a wheelgun guy) that moves the cylinder broke off, so if you wanted to shoot it, you had to rotate the cylinder by hand with every shot. Not sure if my uncle ever got that fixed, which is a shame, it was one fun little piece.

NoirFan

My S&W Model 19-2 locked up the first time I put a box of magnums through it. These were mild Remington factory loads, nothing special. Between one shot and the next the trigger and cylinder locked up so tight I could barely open the gun. Turns out the gas ring at the front of the cylinder had come loose and was now lodged against the forcing cone. I had to send to back to S&W to get it fixed for a hefty fee.

Now I vastly prefer revolvers, in fact I don't even own a semiauto. But as many have said in this thread before I think the idea that revolvers are more reliable than semiautos is a total myth. I wouldn't trust any revolver to fire 100% if dropped hard on its side, for example. But any quality semiauto should be able to pass that test.

Hiddenpiece

broke the lifter on my NEF r92 .22 revolver..... the part that pushes the hammer back and the cylinder lever up to turn the cylinder. i can still fire it in single action as long as i turn the cylinder manually.
$5 part from numrich

Corrections Cop

At training one time we had a glock 22 blow apart. All the person was left holding was the lower part of the pistol. The magzine blew out, and the slide blew off, barrel blew off, and the breech blew apart. Glock was called and it went back to glock that day I believe. I guess the reason was bad ammo from my understanding. That was the crazyist thing I have ever saw.

hogvarmiter

A sig p220.The trigger spring broke.The only way to fire it was turning it upside down(of which,I wouldnt do) until a new spring could get here.

Im thinking of all the things, that spring holds the whole thing together.

Axelwik

I've had failures in both. The cylinder locked up in a brand new Taurus 357 Magnum (returned for a refund), and the base pin popped forward in an old Super Blackhawk (fixed with an oversized locking base pin and a new base pin latch).

As for autos I've had many different issues, from stovepipes to stuck slides and broken springs, to out of battery problems. Sometimes ammo-related, sometimes it was the gun.

PT-92

jimbob86

Quote:
WOW. Call me naive, but I am really surprised to see so many reports of problems across the board
Machines break, if you use them. Some people actually, you know, SHOOT their guns .....

Does it take a great deal of pondering/research to reach such invaluable (arrogant to be sure) findings...? Thanks for that remarkably "insightful" banter. Hopefully tomorrow morning no one pi$$es on your cheerios and your mood swings...

-Cheers

barnbwt

Cheesy mag-catch spring in my spiffy new Five-seveN was pulled loose by a bullet tip sticking out of a mag I chambered. The instant I ejected the mag, the catch and spring fell out with it, and could not be reinstalled without tools. The only way the gun could be fired was by holding the heel of the mag in by hand. To its credit, the gun still cycled flawlessly when the mag was held in with my pinky curled under the grip (just lame to shoot that way ;))

FNH more than made me whole with a much better-designed replacement spring (for free) that was impervious to the same kind of issue. Moreover, they sent a spare mag release (even though that part was not the problem). Both within about 7 days of my contacting them.

TCB

Had a S&W Model 60 stainless Chief's Special that broke the cylinder latch inside the revolver. Jammed it completely. Had to disassemble it still partially loaded. :eek::(

hulley

Cheesy mag-catch spring in my spiffy new Five-seveN was pulled loose by a bullet tip sticking out of a mag I chambered. The instant I ejected the mag, the catch and spring fell out with it, and could not be reinstalled without tools. The only way the gun could be fired was by holding the heel of the mag in by hand. To its credit, the gun still cycled flawlessly when the mag was held in with my pinky curled under the grip (just lame to shoot that way )

Was that en early model? I thought I remembering reading about that with some FiveseveNs. I have one thats been perfect but I havent shot it a whole bunch, to a reloader the 5.7x28mm ammo is expensive. And no I dont reload the 5.7x28mm round, too much work.

flagaman

I have had several FTF and/or FTE with various autos I have owned or shot. The problem was usually ammo or mag related. That said, I have had two revolvers lock up and could not be cleared with out taking them apart to some degree. One was a S&W and the other an old H&R. But still, my CCW of choice is a revolver.
Best.

barnbwt

Was that en early model?

No, it was all of them up until (fairly?) recently. The way to tell is to look down into the magwell with the slide off. If you see a shiny paperclip holding the mag catch in place, that's the hunk-a-junk in question. The new one is a flat double-forked leaf spring made of stamped steel that's been blackened. It is impossible for a bullet tip to snag on the new spring.

It was kinda funny, actually. The old spring was literally the cheapest/simplest looking part in the gun (looks exactly like a bent paperclip), and didn't even feel springy when I pulled it out. I think it was a job they figured was idiot-proof and they had the intern design it. The new part is more appropriate for the over-designed nature pervading the rest of the firearm :D

And no I dont reload the 5.7x28mm round, too much work.
Does anyone?

--*Babushka voice*--
"You should be heh-py you have ammo to shoot at all nowadays. Why, back in August 2012, we couldn't even get SS197SR..."

TCB

bikerbill

Have never had a semi put out of action by any kind of failure ... I bought a Taurus 617, snubbie 7-shot steel .357 mag a number of years ago, thought it would be fun .. it was, until it locked up solid after 20 or so shots ... wasn't really a mechanical failure; the cylinder-barrel gap was so tight that when heat expanded the metal, it jammed ... letting it cool for 10 minutes or so freed it up until a few more rounds went through and it jammed again ... a trip to a 'smith for a bit of work, along with a trigger job, and it's one of my favorite range guns ...